Adelaide CBD to Flagstaff Hill - Best route

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 am

Hi guys,

Today I will be cycling home (Flagstaff Hill) from the city on my road bike for the first time.

My previous commutes were done when we lived in Pasadena and I cycled back streets on my hyrid.

With regards to cycling from the city to Flagstaff Hill, what road / route would be best… Goodwood, South Marion Road?

Cheers,
Robbie

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 am

Flagstaff hill is a bitch to get to safely... Your options depend largely on your fitness, bike confidence, and climbing ability....

From CBD to flaggy:
Marion rd is your best/safest major road. Large volume of traffic but good bike lane all the way. South rd is a death trap. Goodwood is ok I think?

Darlington is where you have to make a decision between Flagstaff Hill road or the Expressway bike track.

1) Flaggy road:
-Very narrow bike lane up the hill
-Cars very close and have a habit of cutting into the bike lane
-Quite steep (15%) at its steepest
-Stupid drivers sometimes stop in middle of road to turn right into houses on south side of road, so some inattentive drivers can swerve into bike lane to avoid a rear end crash
-Quickest/shortest way home

If your a reasonable climber then this is an option to ride as u need to be quite aware of your surroundings, and not hypoxic, or unsteady in the bike lane. Once u negotiate the first 500m the rest of flaggy road is safe.

2) Expressway:
Get on at the intersection of Marion & South Roads.

-Safe

-Further/Longer

-Watch for snakes in summer, roos at night

-Majors road currently closed so no traffic

-Use pedestrian crossing at intersection of Majors & South Rds as the bike button and induction loops don't often work! U can wait forever!

-Blacks road is now 70kmh (down from 80) but most still go 80. There is very little shoulder on this road, be careful!

-Poor lighting/No lighting on blacks roaf so be well lit up at night.

Once u get to Blacks Roundabout your home n hosed!

Heading into City
-If you are confident travelling at 70kmh+ downhill with traffic then take Flaggy road and then go up Marion... Takes 3mins compared to 20 via the expressway...

-The bike lane on the down track ends at the bifurcation of flaggy road, so unless your comfortable travelling in the lane, with traffic, at car speeds, then avoid.

-Also, this isn't a descent for carbon clincher rims or high tire pressures as in peak hour u have to ride the brakes the whole way down as u will be much faster than cars. The descent is -15deg in places, hence rim heat issues can be a problem. ive blown off numerous tyres while sitting at the lights at the bottom of the hill.

-the descent is also notorious for bumps from re-ashphalting, and potholes, so know to road well as if u hit one at 70-80kmh in traffic then, well, um, we all can guess the ending....

-Thankfully last week the council resurfaced most of the trouble spots on the descent so currently it's quite good.

If the above worries you, then take blacks rd, majors rd and onto the expressway...
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

robbiepapenfus

Re: Adelaide CBD to Flagstaff Hill - Best route

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks mate!

How do I get onto the Expressway bike track when in Darlington ?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 pm

robbiepapenfus wrote:Thanks mate!

How do I get onto the Expressway bike track when in Darlington ?
sorry mate, see above... Silly tapatalk only posted 1/4 of my post! Ive edited the original post. I live 3/4 of the way up flaggy road so know this like the back of my hand...

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Decisions, decisions..

I live in Salvador Street, which is about 1.5km from the bottom of Flagstaff Road, so i might just take my chances with the hill.

The expressway route would be about 7.5-8km (from the bottom of Flagstaff Road)to my house.. and i would still need to travel along Black Road... which looks VERY unsafe.

At this stage, i am only cycling home.. dont really like the idea of cycling 70km/ph down Flagstaff Road! :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm around the corner in skyline drive... Ill keep an eye out for ya!

I ride daily out to outer harbour & back... Im usually always running late so I bolt up flaggy road, otherwise I head up the expressway, for the extra kms...

Enjoy your commute... U will soon head down flaggy road, it's awesome fun! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 pm

I only recently moved to Flagstaff Hill and occasionally see commuters struggling up the hill.

You have quite a commute.. thats impressive!

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 am

Well i went up Flagstaff Hill yesterday and i REALLY enjoyed it!

For someone with not the greatest cycling fitness, i found it fairly easy?

Took me about 6mins from the start to the top (salvador street turn)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:04 am

That's my daily training ride... I'd never get to work on time if I rode!

If u found flaggy hill road easy then u must be reasonably fit as I see alot suffering up there and weaving in the bike lane. Granted, it's only a short, sharp kick that u have to negotiate....