Cell Bikes

cyclotaur

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:51 pm

tez001 wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the website should indicate the online price and instore price.
Bit disappointing when you turn up and your expected to pay more after researching online what you want etc.
Do it the other way around if you're near a store. Next day delivery is pretty reliable.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:14 pm

99 bikes were recently promoting joining their club for $5 which woul allow you to get the online price instore.

I get it that retail has overheads that online does not so it is a tough situation for bricks and mortar in price matching online.
Cycling is in my BNA

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Depending on what you buy, then it may or may not be worthwhile taking into account postage and how soon you want the item.
Just needs to be a distinction between online and instore price.

Most people would expect that a bricks and mortar store and online prices are the same. It holds true for most organisations that Ive purchased from. Online is a avenue to get a wider audience, as well as those who are not local.
Im about 20 minutes away from Cell, so it makes sense that I can walk in and get the same pricing as advertised on the website.

Online still needs people to answer questions, pack items etc. Not much different to having staff in store providing advice etc

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:99 bikes were recently promoting joining their club for $5 which woul allow you to get the online price instore.

I get it that retail has overheads that online does not so it is a tough situation for bricks and mortar in price matching online.
The 5 dollar membership sounds fair enough. BTW I am not suggesting that they price match competitor's prices, just price match their own online prices, if asked.

Retail shops have overheads, but you can no longer view the B&M shop and the online store as independent operations. They are just extension of one another.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 am

tekapo wrote:..... Retail shops have overheads, but you can no longer view the B&M shop and the online store as independent operations. They are just extension of one another.
If you maintain that view despite prior experience and explanations to the contrary, then you will continually be disappointed with any price differences. If you want/need something ASAP, or want personal service and advice, then a small price premium should be expected, and acceptable.

OTOH if you are prepared to research independently and shop online, without touching/feeling the product, and are prepared to wait for delivery, then lower prices are yours.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:27 am

Or have the shop charge an entrance fee! That'd go down well :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 am

Dear CELL Bikes,

Couple of suggestions of what I'd like to see on your site:

- Geometry charts for all road bikes.
Some have it already, but the cheaper ones don't. Since the idea of buying online is usually sight unseen, including a geometry chart may increase your sales. I won't buy a frame online if I can't see a geometry chart.

- Reach & Stack measurements in geometry charts.
Many manufacturers are now including these measurements for both their road and MTB bikes/frames. It makes it easy for me to compare a current bike I have with what I want to buy, by just taking two basic measurements. Without it, I'm looking at the ETT and STA then relying on a bit of guess work if the STA isn't the same as mine.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:33 am

cyclotaur wrote:
tekapo wrote:..... Retail shops have overheads, but you can no longer view the B&M shop and the online store as independent operations. They are just extension of one another.
If you maintain that view despite prior experience and explanations to the contrary, then you will continually be disappointed with any price differences. If you want/need something ASAP, or want personal service and advice, then a small price premium should be expected, and acceptable.

OTOH if you are prepared to research independently and shop online, without touching/feeling the product, and are prepared to wait for delivery, then lower prices are yours.
Well, Reid's instore prices are the same as online...... Mind you, their parts/accessory selection is a lot smaller.

Or perhaps think of it this way. Online, they are competing with the likes of Wiggle and T7. One of their advantages is a local presence. If they can offer price match (with their own prices) in store, they are using their local presence to their advantage. Otherwise, whats their online store's competitive edge over the much bigger international players?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 am

^^
Well ok that may all be true. I just don't understand people wishing for something different from what a particular business offers, or can offer. I'm sure Cell have it all worked out so that they can offer some shopfront service alongside their online business without going broke in the process. I don't know which came first, and it doesn't really matter anyway.

There are plenty of options for buyers if the mix of product/price/convenience doesn't suit from any particular source, online or otherwise. I don't know/haven't seen a retail shopfront option for Wiggle, T7 or c r c anywhere, for example ... but at least with Cell you have the choice.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 pm

cyclotaur wrote:^^
Well ok that may all be true. I just don't understand people wishing for something different from what a particular business offers, or can offer. I'm sure Cell have it all worked out so that they can offer some shopfront service alongside their online business without going broke in the process. I don't know which came first, and it doesn't really matter anyway.

There are plenty of options for buyers if the mix of product/price/convenience doesn't suit from any particular source, online or otherwise. I don't know/haven't seen a retail shopfront option for Wiggle, T7 or c r c anywhere, for example ... but at least with Cell you have the choice.
Cycling Express runs a similar model

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:46 pm

cyclotaur wrote:^^
Well ok that may all be true. I just don't understand people wishing for something different from what a particular business offers, or can offer.
Personally, I just want more local shops to be more competitive. I only been to Cell's Melbourne store once, a little bit after opening, bought a multi-tool. If they are more competitive, then my dollars wouldn't be going to the UK or NZ.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Yes, them too. Another is The Bicycle Store in Gosford, from whom I bought my first ever online purchase in 2009. They have a retail outlet as well. Once again not sure which came first.

I think one difference with Cell might be it's 'home-branded' products.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Great to see a good debate. I think that if their model is to have different prices online VS instore, it should be called out on the website.
I made a instore purchase the other week, researched what I wanted online, headed in expecting to pay around $X although when it was rung up on the register it was $Y.

Left me slightly annoyed.

cyclotaur

Cell Bikes

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Ah well - caveat emptor !

Sent from my iPhinger ...

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 am

Most stores have different online and instore pricing. On the top of my head there is Bikebug, 99 bikes, pushys, TBSM that all have different online prices than in store prices. It is like this on many non-bike related websites as well

Most websites have a comment about it on their faq

http://www.bikebug.com/faq.php?CDpath=0&cID=1#3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://site.this link is broken/help-centre-article?id=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pushys.com.au/pushys-faq-fre ... re-pick-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

tez001 wrote:Great to see a good debate. I think that if their model is to have different prices online VS instore, it should be called out on the website.
I made a instore purchase the other week, researched what I wanted online, headed in expecting to pay around $X although when it was rung up on the register it was $Y.

Left me slightly annoyed.
Might of been an idea to say no probs mate, whip out your smart phone and order it then and there online :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:52 pm

The OMEO aero bikes are for sale. I have never ridden an aero bike. Are they flexy? Is there a frame strength trade-off?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I can't complain about the service - I ordered last night & the package was on my desk at lunchtime - a couple of hours before I got the email with the tracking number :D

TravisMelb

Postby TravisMelb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi @CELL Bikes
Looking at the Omeo 2.0 and Omeo 1.0 in size XL, can't find an indication of weight on the site. What are we looking at in terms of KGs as it comes in the XL size for both bikes?

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Those Omeo bikes look like a great bargain!

Mark, is it possible for them to be customized before Ie different bar tape, different cassette etc.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:47 am

ball bearing wrote:The OMEO aero bikes are for sale. I have never ridden an aero bike. Are they flexy? Is there a frame strength trade-off?
ball bearing, let me get back to you with an answer from Bike Designer Dave. Thanks for your question mate.
#websitemgrMARK
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:48 am

TravisMelb wrote:Hi @CELL Bikes
Looking at the Omeo 2.0 and Omeo 1.0 in size XL, can't find an indication of weight on the site. What are we looking at in terms of KGs as it comes in the XL size for both bikes?
Hi TravisMelb,

If you're in Melb, we have a shop in Fitzroy North, let me make sure those weights are in the listings. Thanks for your feedback mate
#websitemgrMARK

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 am

Ignoto wrote:Those Omeo bikes look like a great bargain!

Mark, is it possible for them to be customized before Ie different bar tape, different cassette etc.

Hi Ignoto,

Let me see what we can do. I'll get back to you.
#websitemgrMARK

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:16 pm

ball bearing wrote:The OMEO aero bikes are for sale. I have never ridden an aero bike. Are they flexy? Is there a frame strength trade-off?
Hi Ball Bearing,

Most aero road bikes are not flexy. That said, flexiness/stiffness is irrespective of whether a bike has an aero frame or not. Frame stiffness can be controlled by the type of carbon fibre used, the amount that is used, and the directions in which each layer is oriented.

The most common trade-off for an aero road frame is additional weight. Aero shaped tubes are often heavier than non-aero tubes, assuming the designer is aiming to achieve comparative strength and stiffness. Some (non-aero) road frames can be as light as 700 grams, whereas the benchmark for aero-road frames is typically around 1kg.

When developing our OMEO frame, we wanted aero tube shapes, high lateral stiffness, good vertical compliance (ride comfort) and reliability (strength). Light weight wasn't our top priority. Some customers have critiqued the lack of aero seat tube and post, however using a round 27.2mm seat post was an intentional feature, as this provides a far more comfortable ride than an aero tube/post (it also has the added advantage of interchangeability to other brands, lengths, offsets, etc).

We wanted to offer an upgrade in the frame for the OMEO 2.0 bike, not only components. Hence, we worked with our frame factory to experiment with using more ultra-high stiffness fibres in key areas of the frame, until we could achieve a frame with lighter weight, while maintaining high lateral stiffness. So the OMEO 2.0 frame is about 150 grams lighter than the OMEO 1.0 frame.

Strength is not something you need to be concerned about. The factory that produces our OMEO frames is very experienced and also produces frames for many of the world's leading brands. They have very high quality control measures and have been willing to work with me to address any concerns I raised regarding their manufacturing procedures. Our frame designs meet the European EN standards, which are higher than the Australian Standards. Additionally, every frame from the production line is weighed and stiffness tested, to ensure it has the correct amount of material in the correct positions and orientations. Then, each frame also goes through the EN pedalling fatigue test through 300 cycles. This pedalling fatigue test is a great QC tool, as most manufacturing defects will become apparent relatively early on in a frame's life, so by subjecting every frame to this hard but time efficient test, we can significantly reduce the number of warranty frame cases. We have also been road testing several prototype frames and forks to ensure the bikes ride well and stand up to the rigours of Australia's often sub-optimal roads.

At the end of the day, every brand has a certain number of frames with warranty issues. It's important for us to reduce these as much as possible, but it's also important for the customer that the warranty support is of a high standard. At Cell Bikes we now offer a lifetime frame and fork warranty, which even covers carbon fibre. We endeavour to turn around warranty claims within a fortnight, but often this time is less than a week. In the case of an approved warranty, you will always be given an equivalent or superior replacement item. You can read more about our warranty here http://site.this link is broken/help-centre-article?id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Musgrove
Product Manager/Engineer

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks for the run down, Dave. I now know more about a Cell frame than I do about any of my frames that I ride. With customer support like that Cell is certain to be around for awhile.