Moron Motorists #3

FuzzyDropbear

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:48 am

Why is it that I can go for a month and not have any worrying situations and then nearly get hit by every car on one morning.. Ahhhhh.

Here's my worst two from this morning **APOLOGIES for the second video in which I drop the c-bomb. Inexcusable but that was my 4th near miss this morning (10km ride taking 20 minutes).

The second one, remember, claim more of the lane when heading into the roundabout! :roll: Does anyone know where he lives?? hahaha......

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:52 am

Will you be reporting both of those?

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:08 pm

jasonc wrote:Will you be reporting both of those?
Sadly I feel there's no real point. I've tried to report 3 separate incidents which were closer than the two above, to 3 different officers and each time have been told that they won't do anything about it unless I'm injured and that they deal with exactly the same thing while driving around in their patrol cars. :roll: They weren't even interested in the footage. I've also tried a 4th incident in person at the police station but they pretty much ignored me and called next.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:08 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote: The second one, remember, claim more of the lane when heading into the roundabout! :roll: Does anyone know where he lives?? hahaha......

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 pm

This morning a motorist started driving when the traffic controller's stop sign was still in place.

Note their wheels starting to turn as the last pedestrian crosses in front of them. The traffic controller signals by hand to stop, and yells out, to no avail.

Note the cyclist on the other side stopping until the controller left the road.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 pm

jules21 wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote: The second one, remember, claim more of the lane when heading into the roundabout! :roll: Does anyone know where he lives?? hahaha......

Hahahaha, I did have a banana too, but didn't think to do that :(

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Marto wrote:This morning a motorist started driving when the traffic controller's stop sign was still in place.

Note their wheels starting to turn as the last pedestrian crosses in front of them. The traffic controller signals by hand to stop, and yells out, to no avail.

I would have hit the car with the lollipop sign.
Hard.

That's a school zone?
Regardless, I'd be seriously considering giving that footage to the police and also asking the lollipop person to make a statement as well.
2010 BMC SLC01

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Marto wrote:This morning a motorist started driving when the traffic controller's stop sign was still in place.

Shivers, just when you think you've seen it all....... :?

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm

hannos wrote: I would have hit the car with the lollipop sign.
Hard.

That's a school zone?
Regardless, I'd be seriously considering giving that footage to the police and also asking the lollipop person to make a statement as well.
I'll have a chat with the lollipop person tomorrow (same person every day - I normally give them a wave). She was seriously annoyed (and it takes a lot to rattle a lollipop person who works on Oxley Road). I'll take it from there.

I got alongside the motorist later, and saw it was an elderly lady leaning forward and looking a bit vacant. She was hesitant to pass me when I took off from the next lights before her. Suggests that age or sight might be an issue.

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:28 pm

hannos wrote:

I would have hit the car with the lollipop sign.
Hard.

That's a school zone?
+1 on that... If ever the cops are going to take anything seriously, surely it's when kids are involved.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:02 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:The second one, remember, claim more of the lane when heading into the roundabout!
I am not excusing the moron motorist but take your own advice. You left enough room for him to THINK he had enough room. Come right out in the middle of the lane so it is obvious there isn't enough room. I find the RIGHT hand wheel track is the optimal distance when claiming the lane.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:The second one, remember, claim more of the lane when heading into the roundabout!
I am not excusing the moron motorist but take your own advice. You left enough room for him to THINK he had enough room. Come right out in the middle of the lane so it is obvious there isn't enough room. I find the RIGHT hand wheel track is the optimal distance when claiming the lane.
Yup, which I usually do. However, do you ever get one of those feelings? When you just second guess moving across the lane in front of a vehicle? I get that same feeling before people pull out in front of me etc. and I had it then, that's why I didn't move. Because if I did, I believe he would've just hit me and I would, at best, be typing this from the hospital.

Talking to other people in my workplace, the vehicle is actually a known and recognised as belonging to a dangerous driver, so I believe I'm off to have a look at Oxford's template at the urging of the guys at work.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes, I know what you mean.

Fair enough. Ability to pull out is dependent on a suitable gap in the traffic, other option is to slip on the brakes and pull out behind him. We complain of motorists and MGIF attitude, sometimes cyclists can be the same. Safest place to be is in the middle of the lane in that instance, if there isn't room in front of the next car then slow and move out behind him. Much better than being in a dangerous position like that.

dazzpete

Postby dazzpete » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 am

First time post and unfortunately it's to add to the Moron Motorist list. This guy had two goes at passing really close then decides to pull over ahead of me and ask me what my (NSFW) problem was!

Really, am I the one with the problem?
Last edited by Mulger bill on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small warning notice added.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am

I'll let the correspondence do the talking:
The Department of Transport and Main Roads
(Complaints – Taxi)
GPO Box 1412 Brisbane
Queensland 4001

Taxi Complaint: Breach of Transport Laws or Other Illegal Practices
Cairns Taxis T51 - 150

On Sunday 1 December 2013 at 9.40 am I was riding my bicycle along the single lane one way section of the Cairns Esplanade between Shields and Aplin St. This section of road has a posted 30 kph speed limit, with parallel car parking on the right hand side, and often, parked service vehicles on the left. The kerb on the left hand side also protrudes ride to the edge of the left side of the traffic lane in a number of locations along that section, one of which is used to form a raised traffic calming area.

In view of the necessity to remain clear of the potential arc of opening doors from parked service vehicles, and that the kerb, in places, extends to the edge of the marked traffic lane, a bicycle could be reasonably expected to occupy the left hand tyre track of the traffic lane, especially if being ridden by a competent rider, without causing obstruction to traffic proceeding at the legal speed limit.

I was therefore rather surprised when riding along the above described section at no less than the posted speed limit, when I heard the sound of car coming from behind me with little apparent intention of slowing down. For my own safety I held my line and was surprised to be overtaken by a Cairns Taxi with certainly less than a metre clearance between myself and the vehicle. To perform the manoeuvre the cab would have also across the right had lane marking and close to the parked cars at a speed considerably in excess of the speed limit. The pointlessness of the manoeuvre was illustrated when the taxi had to slow down to cross the traffic calming device. A bike can negotiate the device safely at road speed, which allowed me to overtake the taxi and return to my position on the road. Once ahead of the taxi, I was able to indicate the posted road speed to the driver of taxi. The only response that this action elicited was an increase in engine revs, and an extremely aggressive repeat of the overtake, only this time at greater speed, and closer to myself (often referred to as a 'punishment shave').

The taxi registration number is T51 150.

In view of the second attack, I consider that event constitutes a breach of transport laws as described on the Taxi Complaint Management Flowchart, specifically dangerous driving, while the terms aggressive and belligerent would also apply. I also believe that recent publishing of the report in the Queensland Cycling Issues gives the basis of my complaint even more relevance.

As a worker in a highly regulated Transport industry I am of the opinion that professionals in the industry need to be brought to account when they needlessly place at risk the health and lives of the public when going about their lawful business. The driver in this instance demonstrated flagrant disregard for the road laws, and an astonishing ignorance of the rights of other road users. I will repeat that at the speed I was riding I would not have caused an obstruction to another road user obeying the posted speed limit.

I hope that I have provided enough information to allow for some form of investigation into this matter. I am happy to be contacted to clarify anything I have written here. While I understand in these cases it is often one persons work against another, I believe the above to be a factual account of the event, having allowed myself a day to reflect on the event without undue emotion.
The above was posted by snail mail. Two days later an email reply:
Dear ...,

I am in receipt of your complaint of 2 December 2013 about the alleged actions of a taxi driver on the Esplanade Cairns on 1 December 2013.

As your complaint is in relation to traffic breaches, of which the Department of Transport and Main Roads has no jurisdiction, I have forwarded your complaint to the appropriate authority being the Queensland Police Service's Traffic Branch for investigation. I trust they will contact you directly.

I would also like your written permission, return email will suffice, to forward your complaint to Cairns Taxis Ltd for them to investigate possible internal offences by the driver relating to bringing the company into disrepute.
In a reply to the above I observed that the complaint matrix I used to send the initial report included an option to go directly to the police (it is recommended that for this sort of complaint the local taxi company is not contacted). I chose not to advise police due to dissatisfaction with results from report of other similar occurrences, despite having video evidence for those.

I guess I'd be happy if the driver just becomes aware that a high level complaint was made against him, which might just alter his attitude at work.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 am

Marto wrote:I got alongside the motorist later, and saw it was an elderly lady leaning forward and looking a bit vacant. She was hesitant to pass me when I took off from the next lights before her. Suggests that age or sight might be an issue.
Someone who grew up with and knows the road rule on zebra crossings - what that one is. Once the pedestrian has passed from in front of your car and there is no-one else walking towards you, you may proceed. The crossing had cleared in front, the lollipop lady was not in front of her. IMHO the lollipop lady was slow to move off.

Unless the presence of a lollipop lady over-rides the zebra-crossing, not sure about that. If so it does make for a confusion in the rules. The rule on school crossings is different to the rule for zebra-crossings
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:55 am

Tomca74 wrote:Posted this on the commuting thread, but I think it probably belongs here. Some creative driving :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moTYZs7ik4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love the soundtrack. :lol:

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:58 am

il padrone wrote:
Marto wrote:I got alongside the motorist later, and saw it was an elderly lady leaning forward and looking a bit vacant. She was hesitant to pass me when I took off from the next lights before her. Suggests that age or sight might be an issue.
Someone who grew up with and knows the road rule on zebra crossings - what that one is. Once the pedestrian has passed from in front of your car and there is no-one else walking towards you, you may proceed. The crossing had cleared in front, the lollipop lady was not in front of her. IMHO the lollipop lady was slow to move off.

Unless the presence of a lollipop lady over-rides the zebra-crossing, not sure about that. If so it does make for a confusion in the rules. The rule on school crossings is different to the rule for zebra-crossings
Certainly in Qld it is a very big NoNo to proceed until the Lollipop controller clears the crossing.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

IP,
Lollipop people are authorised traffic controllers. They over-ride any other road rule as far as I am aware.
They're the same as traffic controllers in work zones etc. You must obey their directions.
2010 BMC SLC01

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 pm

il padrone wrote:

If that was a children's crossing you would be very, very wrong. However as there is no stop line it does not meet the definition of a childrens crossing (at a children's crossing, you must stop and can't move until the entire crossing is clear, nobody is entering the crossing, and the lollipop lady no longer displays her sign).

However, you are still wrong because:
101 Hand-held stop signs
(1) A driver approaching a hand-held stop sign must stop before
reaching the sign.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) The driver must not proceed until the holder of the sign—
(a) no longer displays the sign towards the driver; or
(b) otherwise indicates that the driver may proceed.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(3) This section does not apply to a driver approaching or at a
hand-held stop sign at a children’s crossing.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Fair enough. But that is probably why the elderly lady drove on.... a bit of rule confusion. She saw a zebra-crossing.... knows the zebra-crossing rule. The road in front is clear - drive on.
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09 pm

il padrone wrote:Fair enough. But that is probably why the elderly lady drove on.... a bit of rule confusion.
How is a stop sign pointing at you confusing? She shouldn't be driving.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 pm

InTheWoods wrote:She shouldn't be driving.
Hmm....

I don't see her actions as quite so reprehensible. No person was endangered by her slip-up on what amounts to a fairly minor point (in the circumstances). I'd wager that in any other situation where she faced a person holding a stop sign, she'd be stopped.

But who knows what was the cause :?
Mandatory helmet law?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 pm

my understanding is that whilst there are people on a signed children crossing, you could not cross it. period.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:21 pm

oxonabike wrote:I'll let the correspondence do the talking:
Good on you for making the effort to make a formal complaint.

I was interested by the way you mentioned that you weren't an obstruction as you were doing roughly 30km/h - the road rules state that travelling at slower than the speed limit is not an obstruction if there's a legitimate reason (on a bicycle that is because we can't physically do the speed limit in most places). I know you probably mentioned it to emphasise that the driver had no reason to pass you. Thoughts?