Looking for new routes from Coolangatta

mistertommyt

Looking for new routes from Coolangatta

Postby mistertommyt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:38 am

Hi there. I'm over from the UK and have been enjoying your amazing countryside over the last few weeks, but am starting to go over the same ground a bit. Most of my rides are over Tomewin, down to the sugar cain fields, around Murwillumbah and back via Terranora.

I've ridden Springbrook, down to Natural Bridge and back to Coolangatta. I've also followed the coast down to Kingscliff and further south, before heading inland and finding my way back north.

So, I thought I'd ask the locals for some routes I'm yet to discover.

Cheers, Tom

http://www.strava.com/athletes/151867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elantra

Re: Looking for new routes from Coolangatta

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 am

Crikeys Tom i think there is not much that you have not done !

You could try these though - Nerang to Beechmont to BinnaBurra,

also Beechmont to Canungra to Mundoolan to Tamborine Mountain.

also Canungra to O'Reilly's Guest house - and then if you like a bit of dirt descend to Kerry (very carefully) on the Duck Creek Rd.

There are probably Strava routes corresponding to the above rides.

But i would have only a vague idea what would be the best way to get from Coolangatta to Nerang or Canungra.
That would involve interacting with the Gold Coast urban chaos traffic.
Obviously best done at a quiet time of day. And not when it is not too hot.
P.S. there is a train to Nerang from Varsity Lakes. So i s'pose that might help somewhat.
Also getting out of Nerang on the Numinbah Gap Road is a bit unpleasant for a few k's until you get to the Beechmont turn-off. Steve

mistertommyt

Postby mistertommyt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 pm

That's great Steve, much appreciated. I'll check those out this evening and hopefully get out that way tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey Tommy,
Why don't you look in to driving down towards Brunswick Heads or Byron Bay and then riding out through either Mullumbimby or Bangalow and do the roads on the southern side of Nightcap National Park and head out on Eureka Rd and Tuntable Creek Rd/Tuntable Falls Rd into Nimbin and then back through Uki/Stokers Siding/Burringbar Range.
There is a LOT of great scenery around that way. Even head over to Tyalgum. When there, a meal at Flutterbies Café is a MUST.

Enjoy your riding here.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 pm

A bit hilly. but very scenic...Coolangatta-Nerang-Numinbah Valley-Chillingham-Tomewin-Elanora-Coolangatta.

CAUTION! Take care descending from Tomewin. There is a very steep pitch that terminates at a T-junction on Currumbin Creek Road. It was the scene of a cycling tragedy recently.

Click on the Google icon for a full-sized map

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:07 am

If you go through Chillingham, make sure you have a chocolate coated frozen banana from the fruit shed.

You wont regret it... :)

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:22 am

Tom, here are a few Strava segments in the Beechmont area.
http://www.strava.com/segments/751959
http://www.strava.com/segments/875973
http://www.strava.com/segments/674020
http://www.strava.com/segments/1341738

The Beechmont back one above is a Cat 2 climb.
Probably better suited to descending, since the up route via Lower Beechmont is a much easier way to get up there !

If you zoom in on the "explore Strava segments map" you will also see there are segments on Duck Creek climb and Kerry Rd, to the west of O'Reilly's.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey TommyT,
I'm staying down the coast this weekend and planning a ride tomorrow morning.
In short..
Broadbeach, Currumbin, Tweed Heads, Bilambil, Hogans Rd, over to Tyalgum for 2nd breakfast, then decide on return either via Tomewin or Num'bah Valley/Pine Ck Rd and down S'Brook.

That's the plan anyway. Depends if I have a win at the tables!
PM me before 6 tonight if you're keen and could meet along the way.

PS. It WON'T be a smash-fest.

mistertommyt

Postby mistertommyt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Wow, loads of great info here. I had a day off work today, so wanted to get in a hundred miles. My original plan based around springbrook was scuppered due to the road closures. I work nights and don't finish till 6:30am, so getting up there by 7:30 when they close it is tricky. A 25 mile TT isn't my idea of a fun way of kicking of a century.

I ended up heading for Kingscliff to murwillumbah to Tayalgum (stopping at Flutterby Cafe for Bananna bread which was lovely - I've ridden straight past that place do many times and didn't realise it was there, so thank you for the heads up). I then went over Tomewin, up to the end of Corrumbin creek to refuel before the final push for Cooly. The usual roads, but still make be grin every time I'm on them. You are all truly lucky to have this on your doorstep.

Smithstreet - The legs are a little tender, so I'm going to eat and I'll drop you a line in a bit if I think I'm up for that in the morning.

(Lastly, if I've murdered any spellings of place names, my apologies.)

ps. Oh and that frozen bananna thing sounds amazing. I often stop at that place, do will be sure to indulge next time.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey Tom,

Thanks again for the ride and the company today. I always love riding down in Nth NSW, the scenery never fails to impress.
Like I said, it's certainly worth an hours drive from Brisbane to get to ride either here, or up the coast.
Also, as a few on here already know, Flutterbies (AT) Tyalgum is always good for a really nice feed and coffee.

Next time you are out here, get in touch and we'll see if we can get a group together for a challenging little circuit somewhere.

Phil

mistertommyt

Postby mistertommyt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Cheers Phil. It is lovely country and good to share it in good company. I hope the rest of your ride was good after I peeled off for home and I'll shout next time I'm here for sure.

Likewise if you're ever in the UK I can show you the delights of the Kent lanes. Not quite as warm, but very pretty.

Tom

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 pm

It is great country and us Crouching Tigers are doing this ride tomorrow morning. Almost similar route but we go a little up Springbrook first.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2949731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers

Dave