Tyre size 23 v 25

Fletch

Tyre size 23 v 25

Postby Fletch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 pm

I have always ridden 700x23 tyres and was after some opinions on 700x25.

The roads in my area are mostly a rough aggregate surface and i'm currently running specialized turbo elites as recommended by LBS, I did look at the 25 roubaix but was talked out of them.

Nobody

Re: Tyre size 23 v 25

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=66556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=56857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:10 pm

25s. Do it. Seriously.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Wide tyres roll better on a rough road than a narrow tyre.

I'm using a set of Pro-Lite Merano A25W wheels at the moment (24mm wide rim) with 23mm tyres.

The 23mm tyres on these rims are wider than a 25mm tyre on a standard width rim. I'm still playing with tyre pressures but generally am running 90psi front, 100psi rear which is 10psi less than I would use with a 23mm tyre on a narrow rim.

Loving it on our chip-seal roads. On nice hot-mix I feel that the narrow rims and 23mm tyres are probably a little faster but on the rough stuff the wider tyres/rims feel like a very good performance increase.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks Nobody, interesting threads. Not really concerned about any aero advantages, more comfort on the crap road surfaces in my area. Will give 25's a go.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:59 pm

I tried 25s and felt that they were a tad nicer a the start, but have recetly changed back to 23s and didn't notice a whole lot of diference the other way. Admittedly, I reckon you'd need a 6" wide tyre to absorb the shite roads that I ride on in West Gippy...lol.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:36 pm

macca33 wrote:I tried 25s and felt that they were a tad nicer a the start, but have recetly changed back to 23s and didn't notice a whole lot of diference the other way. Admittedly, I reckon you'd need a 6" wide tyre to absorb the shite roads that I ride on in West Gippy...lol.

cheers
Did you reduce your tyre pressures when you went to the 25's? General rule of thumb, reduce by 10psi when running 25's.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:03 pm

I did by 10psi mate f & r so who knows?

sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away. ..
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

KL.

Postby KL. » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 am

jacks1071 wrote:Wide tyres roll better on a rough road than a narrow tyre.

I'm using a set of Pro-Lite Merano A25W wheels at the moment (24mm wide rim) with 23mm tyres.

The 23mm tyres on these rims are wider than a 25mm tyre on a standard width rim. I'm still playing with tyre pressures but generally am running 90psi front, 100psi rear which is 10psi less than I would use with a 23mm tyre on a narrow rim.

Loving it on our chip-seal roads. On nice hot-mix I feel that the narrow rims and 23mm tyres are probably a little faster but on the rough stuff the wider tyres/rims feel like a very good performance increase.
Hi jacks1071, your previous stance was that wide rims (23/24mm wide) were a whole lot of whoa, and rubbish, and that 25mm tyres on 20mm wide rims did that same, if not better, job.

Just, a few months ago you were quite adamant about this, so, that stance seems to have changed. Could you further clarify your current stance/opinion...

thanks KL :=)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:23 am

KL. wrote:Hi jacks1071, your previous stance was that wide rims (23/24mm wide) were a whole lot of whoa, and rubbish, and that 25mm tyres on 20mm wide rims did that same, if not better, job.

Just, a few months ago you were quite adamant about this, so, that stance seems to have changed. Could you further clarify your current stance/opinion...

We all continue to learn through our varied experiences in life. Over the years I've seen people on here at opposite poles on various subjects slowly move to agreement over some things, myself included.

I run wide 23/24.5mm rims (17/19 inner) with 23 tyres. This makes the tyres measure 24.5 on the front and 26 on the back. I've also tried the same tyres and bike on 21mm outer (15.7mm inner) rims. I changed the pressures until they felt about the same. I ride mainly on paths in Sydney and found I could feel the difference, but only just. The wider rims felt a bit more comfortable and the thinner rims a bit faster. In the end I stayed with the wider rims, but could understand those who have the opinion that it doesn't make any difference.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Nobody wrote:We all continue to learn through our varied experiences in life. Over the years I've seen people on here at opposite poles on various subjects slowly move to agreement over some things, myself included.

I run wide 23/24.5mm rims (17/19 inner) with 23 tyres. This makes the tyres measure 24.5 on the front and 26 on the back. I've also tried the same tyres and bike on 21mm outer (15.7mm inner) rims. I changed the pressures until they felt about the same. I ride mainly on paths in Sydney and found I could feel the difference, but only just. The wider rims felt a bit more comfortable and the thinner rims a bit faster. In the end I stayed with the wider rims, but could understand those who have the opinion that it doesn't make any difference.
Gee it'd be nice to have the money to just change rim widths willy nilly like that. Rim brakes, disc brakes, narrow rims, wide rims? Hmmm what will I ride today? :roll: :P
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 pm

warthog1 wrote:Gee it'd be nice to have the money to just change rim widths willy nilly like that. Rim brakes, disc brakes, narrow rims, wide rims? Hmmm what will I ride today? :roll: :P
Yes, well, being a family man like you, sometimes I have some money and most times I don't. Just going through a long don't phase now. Hope to have some money again in April.

warthog1

Tyre size 23 v 25

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 am

Nobody wrote:[Yes, well, being a family man like you, sometimes I have some money and most times I don't. Just going through a long don't phase now. Hope to have some money again in April.
The don't phases seem to be getting longer here too. Secondary school next year. :(
Must be getting really old now also :lol:

KL.

Postby KL. » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:29 pm

KL. wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Wide tyres roll better on a rough road than a narrow tyre.

Hi jacks1071, your previous stance was that wide rims (23/24mm wide) were a whole lot of whoa, and rubbish, and that 25mm tyres on 20mm wide rims did that same, if not better, job.

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:We all continue to learn through our varied experiences in life. Over the years I've seen people on here at opposite poles on various subjects slowly move to agreement over some things, myself included.

Gee it'd be nice to have the money to just change rim widths willy nilly like that. Rim brakes, disc brakes, narrow rims, wide rims? Hmmm what will I ride today? :roll: :P
So, it seems :)

Another approach to consider is 23/24/25 wide rear rim and 20/21/22 wide front rim :)

thanks KL :)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:08 pm

KL. I will always tell you what I believe to be true at the time. Nobody said it best, everyone gains experience as time goes on. Wide rims are relatively new to me, I'm still fiddling with pressures.

Here is the basic run-down as I see it at this point in time:

Chip-seal roads, run wide tyres OR a wide rim. I havn't tried a tyre wider than 23mm on the Merano A25W but I feel it'd be pointless to go any wider as its quite fat. This rim is 24mm wide.

To achieve a similar width on a narrow rim a 28mm tyre would be required or if you'd like to go half-way then a 25mm will suffice.

A 25mm tyre on a 19.2mm rim is not as wide as a 23mm tyre on a 24mm rim.

If you ride where the roads are mostly hotmix stick with the lighter, narrow rims and tyres.

If the roads are rubbish or you are seeking comfort, go fat - either fat tyres or fat rims. You can achieve a similar contact patch either way.

If you do go fat, reduce the tyre pressure accordingly, the ability to run lower pressure is where the benefit is.

Other considerations. Wider tyres are heavier than narrower ones. Wider rims are heavier than narrower ones. Some people believe that wider rims are stronger than narrow rims, the jury is out on this - at this point in time I don't believe that to be true but time will tell and in 1 or 2 years I should be able to give you a more accurate opinion.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:48 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:[Yes, well, being a family man like you, sometimes I have some money and most times I don't. Just going through a long don't phase now. Hope to have some money again in April.
The don't phases seem to be getting longer here too. Secondary school next year. :(
Must be getting really old now also :lol:
I'm feeling your pain Warthog!
Paying one set of private school fees now and will have two lots in 12 months time. Plans for a new bike are now dependent on winning tattslotto.... Only one problem - I need to buy a ticket!
Andrew

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:50 pm

And back on topic - I am a huge fan of the GP 4000S 25mm tyres. I have them on both road bikes and won't go back.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:19 pm

What about 24 mm? Vittoria Open Pave CG is the best tyre in the universe !
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

KL.

Postby KL. » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 am

jacks1071 wrote:... Chip-seal roads, run wide tyres OR a wide rim. I haven't tried a tyre wider than 23mm but I feel it'd be pointless to go any wider as it is quite fat. This rim is 24mm wide ...
Yes, that is the objective of the wider rim ... that you can use a narrower tyre, such as a 23mm tyre (and even a 22mm tyre, for low rotating weight/mass) on a 23mm or 24mm wide rim, run lower air pressure (5 to 10 psi without incurring snake bites/tube pinch punctures) but achieve similar comfort and corner grip to that achieved by running a 25mm or 28mm tyre ( which have higher rotating weight) on a 20mm wide rim. It even reduces the need to run tubular :)

The other benefit is that the 23mm tyre can have increased puncture protection, with a small weight increase, and still having low rotating weight/mass :)

So, there should be no need to run a 25/28mm on a 23mm or 24mm wide rim, but you can, and be able to run even lower air pressure and achieve even more comfort :)

Note though, that the internal dimension is also important to achieving the good effect of the wide rim. If the internal dimension is the same as the 20mm wide rim, that you are changing from, then there is no real benefit (probably no benefit in this case, although perhaps some aero benefit, maybe!).
The following rim is a good example of a good wide/aero rim http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/167.htm :)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 am

KL. wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:... Chip-seal roads, run wide tyres OR a wide rim. I haven't tried a tyre wider than 23mm but I feel it'd be pointless to go any wider as it is quite fat. This rim is 24mm wide ...
Yes, that is the objective of the wider rim ... that you can use a narrower tyre, such as a 23mm tyre (and even a 22mm tyre, for low rotating weight/mass) on a 23mm or 24mm wide rim, run lower air pressure (5 to 10 psi without incurring snake bites/tube pinch punctures) but achieve similar comfort and corner grip to that achieved by running a 25mm or 28mm tyre ( which have higher rotating weight) on a 20mm wide rim. It even reduces the need to run tubular :)

The other benefit is that the 23mm tyre can have increased puncture protection, with a small weight increase, and still having low rotating weight/mass :)
You're forgetting that a wide rim is heavier than a narrower rim all else being equal.

KL.

Postby KL. » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:18 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
KL. wrote:

... wide rim is heavier than a narrower rim all else being equal.
Wide rim weights are coming down in weight, slowly but surely (this link is an example ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/167.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), especially CF rims, although their internal dimension are not so wide because of their issues with heat dissipation (they are improving though, as are wide alloy rims) :)

The really nice aspect is that the outer most weight/mass of the rotating wheel, the tyre and tube remains low with hopefully only a small increase in rim weight, while achieving a more comfortable ride (lower tyre pressure) with better corner grip :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:02 pm

gabrielle260 wrote: I'm feeling your pain Warthog!
Paying one set of private school fees now and will have two lots in 12 months time. Plans for a new bike are now dependent on winning tattslotto.... Only one problem - I need to buy a ticket!
Andrew
I ride with blokes who seem to buy new road bikes more often than I buy new clothes :shock: :lol:
Good thing I'm happy with my bike anyway :)
We went the catholic school route for primary but luckily the local state high has a very good reputation with a committed and passionate principal 8)
Those private school fees must be hurting :( but its a great investment. Kids are more important than bikes any day :)
I need to remind myself of that more often sometimes :oops:

KL.

Postby KL. » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:01 am

jacks1071 wrote: ... wide rim is heavier than a narrower rim all else being equal.
There are wide 23mm clincher rims that weigh less than 400gms such as the Velocity A23, Stans A340, HED C2, etc, and these rims/wheelsets have been around for a while ...

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Science aside, loving my Conti 4000s 25's Run then har as nails on the fast days (120) or 110 rear/ 100 front for normall ride, love the grip too.
They do 'feel' faster they certainly corner better. IMO :)

Male 188cm, 96kg rider, Scott Foil 40 7.8kg... BW (before water)

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Would love to try out 25's but something aint right with my bike as the tyre is always less than 1mm from the chainstay on all the wheels I run with 23's on one side.
Some even rub.

I want to get 24mm wide rims but afraid I'll have issues.