Gios Torino Appreciation society

minhyy

Re: Gios Torino

Postby minhyy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 pm

^ destickered Shimano RS20 wheels - 130mm OLD 8/9/10spd freehub with a spacer to run 7 spd, pulled the 126mm dropouts apart to squeeze the rear wheel in
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

QuangVuong

Re: Gios Torino

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding the leather. I will just buy a white saddle for this as white leather is hard to come by. Will source some black leather for other saddles though.

Jim, those wheels are just Shimano RS20 without the stickers. I chose to use this wheelset over the Fulcrum 5, as the Fulcrum's red and white decals looked off. What would be a nice touch were if the nipples were anodised blue to match the valve cap and bike. The Zaffiro Pro Classics could be a bit more yellow though.

Philip, yours looks real good! But are you gonna be running a matching white saddle later on? Or is that stitched bar tape youre going with black?

Josh, I had this thread up for like a month before I got started on the build. :wink: It does have a very short wheelbase as you say, being an 89 model.

utedeej, it actually wasnt all that progressively planned out. I just decided to put a 105 group on it since I had most of it lying around, together with gum walls and white accessories to match the white decals. Turned out pretty good too. :mrgreen:

QuangVuong

Re: Gios Torino Appreciation society

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 pm

So all the white leather saddles I tried looking for went for exuberant prices. I just chose to go with synthetic perforated material to cover my saddles. First saddle I re-covered is on the left. Only issue I ran into was the nose, as I did that part halfway in, the wrinkles piled up, and I couldnt stretch them away. Went onto a Charge Bucket saddle(fake Turbo), and did a better job on the nose, but had wrinkles out the back. They turned out alright for my first go, but I guess the real test is when I actually sit on them.

I went with the Turbo.

Anyway, this has become an appreciation thread now, so feel free to post up your Gios.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 pm

I wish I had one to post .....

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Quoung,
I like your DIY approach to problems. :)
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Today brings bad news. Just about 1 month old, and I destroyed the frame. I rear ended a car only hundreds of metres away from home. Just at that moment i was looking down at the front wheel, and I flew over the bars. Picked myself up, and the bike, but tended to my busted lip before all else. Noticed I couldnt steer, and then realised I had just bent the frame. Looking back at the GPS data, I was going in the low 20s(maybe 21-22km/h) when I collided into the rear bumper of the X5. I came out alright with only a few tiny bruises and abrasions, and a busted lip, butnothing too serious.

Did about 350km on it, so I got my $75 value out of it, but still it is the loss of a pretty good frame. I am sad that this has happened even though it could have been prevented if I was paying more attention. It was totally my fault. Most surprisingly is that all the other components are fine. Front wheel is a couple mm out of true, but not dented or broken at all, and my brake levers are scratched.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:14 pm

RIP Gios

bakabill

Postby bakabill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm

I am so sad to see that, she was a real beaut!

But most importantly - glad you're OK Quang, take it easy mate.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Oh Quang!!! Nooooo!!!! Main thing is that you are relatively ok, but my condolences for the Gios.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

tedsbikes

Postby tedsbikes » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Steel bikes are repairable.

Although this looks really bad, I'd be taking it down to Peter Bundy's shop first. His father Jim did a repair on an old track frame for me about 10 years ago. He cut out and replaced a section of the down tube after butting in a piece of internal bracing tube (like double butting).

Depends how much you appreciate the bike and how much you are prepared to spend.

Ted

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks Will and Claire.

Ted, it may so be repairable, but really, the amount Id say itll cost will out weigh buying a different frame, not that I need one. Already have myself a Bundy frame, as well as 2 other ones. I wouldnt trust the fork after that sort of impact though. This frame will go into storage, and the group transfered to another frame.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I hope you are OK QV! Good news is you can now justify to build another one. RIP GIOS!

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Ouch, the frame looks terrible so am glad you are OK.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Quang - that's terrible news!

You survived so that's the main thing but that's a nasty impact, watch out for stiff parts over the next couple of days. Crushing news (no pun intended) about the Gios, that was a such a nice looking bike. Your ability to find really great deals on nice bikes will no-doubt serve you well as you find a nice frame to replace this one, but still, that was a terrible loss. I'm glad to hear you are doing better than the bike.

Sincerely,

Joe

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Actually Joe, just eariler today, I did pick up a frame. Never knew it would've been built up so soon. The 105 group will be transferred over to this new frame sometime over the next few days. Bakabill knows what frame it is. He was the one who showed me on Sat.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm

You know you could probably do a business just sourcing retro frames for the folks of Sydney - a finder's fee here and there...

I saw a Bundy being used as a commuter today in the city and thought about your frame. Nice looking bike, I'm going to do a bit of google on them now. Get well soon!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:09 pm

a depreciated Gios.
on LFGSS it would have needed a drawing
I had my first proper ride on my Gios, now with the black leather stitched bar tape and gum hoods.
Looks like I will be left to carry the thread for a while.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:12 pm

That frame has gotta be wall art now! Will be an interesting talking point for visitors. No damage to the car you hit?
LG = Low Gear

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Peter, you sure do. Although I know of a member nearby who does indeed have a Gios too, but hasnt posted it up. And that pic pretty much sums up what happened.

Luke, it will be hung up in my garage, as I have no other place to store it. My left lever left a 5cm scratch that prob was less than 2mm wide on the X5's rear boot door. Owner does want me to compensate for it, but I am trying to work out how to avoid it(Im happy to DIY, but dunno how they feel about it). They reckon my chain fell and I lost balance into their car(slightly good thing for me :? )

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 pm

QV, how the hell did you kill that bike so easily? You weigh about 20kg, so if you were running in the low 20 kphs, you should have simply bounced off with a comedic "boiiiiinng". Ah well, now there's room for one more in your very neat garage.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Cars are harder than I expected. And I hit it at 490kg m/s, likely to destroy a frame.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Sorry to hear about this Quang. Live and learn.
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:00 am

Fork looks OK. Pricey exercise to braze in new tubes, sure, but maybe something for ten years time after you've had it hanging in the shed thinking "I really must do something with that". At least you're OK. I did something similar when I was about 15, back end of a parked car. The old Koga Miyata didn't bend a millimeter though, I got lucky.

Jim

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:16 am

Glad yr ok Quang. Sad to see yr frame bent. It's repairable for sure. If I can help ya to get it to Bundy to quote. Let me know. I pass his shop nearly every day
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Wow, glad you are okay. A real shame about that beautiful frame.