Fixed wheel buyers guide?

bychosis

Fixed wheel buyers guide?

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm looking at purchasing or building some fixie wheels to upgrade the super special budget wheels that I have. I built a cheap and cheerful fixie and am enjoying riding it. The current wheelset is around 2.3kg, coloured and semi deep rims. I suspect you all know which ones I'm referring to. (Hubs start with a Q and they were around $100 to the door).

Does a lighter wheelset make it easier to ride a fixie? My fixie is certainly not for track racing, more for enjoying but I feel that the heavy wheels are making it less fun than it could be.

Can you recommend a decent quality, reasonable price wheelset or components to build one. I run a front brake only so the rear doesn't need to be machined and would prefer the rims to look fairly similar. Bonus points for blue paint or anodising :D
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

HLC

Re: Fixed wheel buyers guide?

Postby HLC » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 pm

bychosis wrote:I'm looking at purchasing or building some fixie wheels to upgrade the super special budget wheels that I have. I built a cheap and cheerful fixie and am enjoying riding it. The current wheelset is around 2.3kg, coloured and semi deep rims. I suspect you all know which ones I'm referring to. (Hubs start with a Q and they were around $100 to the door).

Does a lighter wheelset make it easier to ride a fixie? My fixie is certainly not for track racing, more for enjoying but I feel that the heavy wheels are making it less fun than it could be.

Can you recommend a decent quality, reasonable price wheelset or components to build one. I run a front brake only so the rear doesn't need to be machined and would prefer the rims to look fairly similar. Bonus points for blue paint or anodising :D
Miche do a off-the-shelf wheelset for about $200 bucks.

Cheap and cheerful and a heap better than the quando boat anchors.

Also, any set of Velocity wheels will do....

Check out VeloMine, there are a ton of wheelsets on there, you'll get something half decent for sub $400 landed.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:02 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Velocity-Dee ... c83&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

velocity deep Vs with formula hubs are more than good enough, and aus-made (but cheaper to buy from O/S). they were very well endorsed by fixie snobs before they became too popular and therefore !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. then fixed gear became too popular and therefore !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, so now its all about road/CX/tourers :?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Stovepipe wrote:.....so now its all about road/CX/tourers :?
You're forgetting Randonneurs ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Yeah, but I've always been a couple of trends behind :)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Wanna buy my ficksie? I just don't feel it's "me" any more. ;)

Now, where's my Gilles Berthoud bar bag & decaleur for my 650b equipped Rene Herse inspired Constructeur?
--

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:09 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Wanna buy my ficksie? I just don't feel it's "me" any more. ;)
What size and tubing? Is the stem pantographed? :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Stovepipe wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Velocity-Dee ... c83&_uhb=1

velocity deep Vs with formula hubs are more than good enough, and aus-made (but cheaper to buy from O/S).
They also weight near enough to the $99 dollar specials I have. "Weight, pair: 2312g"

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 pm

velocity deep Vs with formula hubs are more than good enough, and aus-made (but cheaper to buy from O/S). they were very well endorsed by fixie snobs before they became too popular and therefore showtime. then fixed gear became too popular and therefore showtime, so now its all about road/CX/tourers :?
Velocity are now American owned and American made.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 pm

HLC wrote:Velocity are now American owned and American made.
+1

Hang on to any Velocity rims still stickered with the "made in Australia"/Aussie Map/Kangaroo livery. Stash them under your mattress for that "NOS Aussie made Velocity" 2nd hand wank factor in 30 or 40+ years. ;)

Not saying the new Seppo Velocities are bad rims.... just, you know... fashion cycles 'n all.
--

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 pm

HLC wrote:

velocity deep Vs with formula hubs are more than good enough, and aus-made (but cheaper to buy from O/S). they were very well endorsed by fixie snobs before they became too popular and therefore showtime. then fixed gear became too popular and therefore showtime, so now its all about road/CX/tourers :?
Velocity are now American owned and American made.
oh for reals? i thought it was just american owned and still made in brisbane here
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=19+Ba ... xT4ahVNNtg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i still think theyre plenty suitable for an entry to mid level fixie rider

edit:
ah, there you go:
Velocity was founded by Tom Black just outside of Brisbane, Australia in 1989. ..... All rims are now proudly made in the United States.
http://www.velocityusa.com/about/about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;