sleeping bag under-blanket

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Does anyone use an under-blanket when sleeping with a non breathable sleeping mat? I find I get clammy if I just use a sleeping bag over a mat and wearing a single layer of clothing.
In the past I have used old cotton wadded sleeping bags to heavy blankets, but that was when weight was not a problem. For my upcoming bike tour I have a cot sized blanket but at .48kg it is a heavy item to carry. But a good nights sleep gets the day off to a good start. So what do others do?

RonK

Re: sleeping bag under-blanket

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:30 pm

BigPete wrote:Does anyone use an under-blanket when sleeping with a non breathable sleeping mat? I find I get clammy if I just use a sleeping bag over a mat and wearing a single layer of clothing.
Nope - and I don't wear clothing in my sleeping bag either. Just a silk liner. More often than not I don't even get into my sleeping bag, I just pull it over me as a doona.

If you are getting clammy then I suspect your sleeping bag either doesn't breathe very well - or it's too warm.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:43 pm

+1 for me. I sleep in a silk sheet on the Exped mat with minimal sleep-wear. The sleeping bag is draped over doona-style.

As for sweatiness, I hate gettig sweaty when sleeping. But it's marvellous what a slim layer of cotton or silk can do. I have a self-inflating pillow and I find it gets all oily from my hair if I use it uncovered. A simple pillow-slip (yes, I know.... too domestic) makes it very much more pleasant to sleep with. The pillow and slip are now part of my standard kit, a part which contributes greatly to my sleeping as comfortably on cycle tours when camping as I do on the bed at home.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 pm

It would seem there are not a lot of under-blanker users.
The problem I have is the mattress is not breathable which causes moisture from the skin not being able to escape and ends up trapped in the layers between myself and the mattress, thus causing the clammy feeling. It has nothing to do with me feeling hot or cold or the type of bag or cover over me. Even naked on cotton sheets is still a problem.
I have tried various things but the only solution I have found is adding layers of material between mat and body. The more I add the less clammy I feel but I can’t afford to take too much on tour. I guess I will take the small blanket. Anything for a good nights sleep.
I too, il padrone, take a pillow case and with an Exped Synmat UL 7 mat and pillow pump find camping on the ground just about as comfortable as sleeping in my bed. It just lacks the space to spread out.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

BigPete wrote:It would seem there are not a lot of under-blanker users.
The problem I have is the mattress is not breathable which causes moisture from the skin not being able to escape and ends up trapped in the layers between myself and the mattress, thus causing the clammy feeling. It has nothing to do with me feeling hot or cold or the type of bag or cover over me. Even naked on cotton sheets is still a problem.
I have tried various things but the only solution I have found is adding layers of material between mat and body. The more I add the less clammy I feel but I can’t afford to take too much on tour. I guess I will take the small blanket. Anything for a good nights sleep.
I too, il padrone, take a pillow case and with an Exped Synmat UL 7 mat and pillow pump find camping on the ground just about as comfortable as sleeping in my bed. It just lacks the space to spread out.
You probably won't be sweating much in Tassie, Pete. How are you finding the VWR?

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:51 pm

RonK wrote:You probably won't be sweating much in Tassie, Pete. How are you finding the VWR?
I am sure I will be cursing the cold mornings when I get there.
As for the VWR. I need to get more time on it as I am still getting used to it. Gear changing is sometimes a problem. I am use to 105’s on the road bike and my previous touring bike had push buttons to select a lower gear. Disk brakes: A rethink of how to use is required over rim brakes. Too easy to lock up a wheel. I have to remind myself not to apply when cornering. Heavy it is. Weighing in at 16.1kg with front and rear racks it is not a quick or easy bike to ride in hilly areas or stop-go traffic. Mind you I am thinking of riding it up Mt Coot-tha semi loaded this week for a test.
The thing I am slightly disappointed with is the quality of the ride. Everything I had read about this bike suggested it gave a very comfortable ride. It is comfortable but I wouldn’t rate it as highly as others have done. I found a Shogun Metro on a council clean up recently & it certainly has the best ride of any bike I have ridden.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Hehe, yes, a steel-framed touring bike is not your light-and-nimble-to-ride roadie. You really need a change of mindset once you hop on one.

And hills shouldn't be a problem with all those gears, but you'll need 'em all to ride over Mt Coot-Tha. Slowly. Maybe you need to reconsider carrying that 5kg tent you mentioned. :lol:

No doubt the steel zealots will be miffed by your comments about the ride. What tyre pressures are you using? A bloke your size shouldn't need more than 50psi.

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:30 am

We have gone a bit off topic.
Ridden Mt Coot-tha twice now. One unloaded and another with 10kg on board. Both very easy rides.
Tyres are around 40psi. I never go anywhere near what they recommend.
Yer the tent is a bit heavy (4.5kg). Will see how it goes on this upcoming tour before deciding whether I need a new one.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:38 pm

G'day BigPete,
could I ask what brand and model sleeping bag liner your using?
I've heard of sweating issues with some.
Cheers :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am

rifraf:
I have just purchased a 'Sea to Summit' 100% silk liner but have not used it yet. I have since read some forums with some people claiming it can be sticky with these liners. So sleep maybe worse now!!
I have experienced this problem for years and with various types of mats or mattresses that are not breathable. The only solution has been to add breathable items between myself and the mat. I have camped extensively over the last 20 years and have used a cotton quilt, a blanket and sheet on top of the mat. But I can't take all that on a bike.