Wake up Perth cyclists

jeffh

Wake up Perth cyclists

Postby jeffh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

As an enthusiastic cyclist and necessary motorist, some behaviours this morning have really nettled me to the point that I think that it is time Perth cyclists acted a little more responsibly. I had a gear failure in Kings Park quite early this morning and called out my very kind wife to retrieve me. She took some time to pick me up but she isn't usually up before 6 so that wasn't a surprise. She did however relate that on the way around Birdwood Parade (as we all know a cyclist's dream road) she had to slow considerably behind a threesome riding abreast. They were not watching what was happening behind. (BTW she will not knowingly infringe). To her great surprise then a large group rode up behind her and sought to both overtake her and undertake her as she was cautiously following the three abreast group. Pretty bold cycling I think as she was in a Landcruiser!

Later actually not far away from Birdwood, 3 single cyclists sequentially pulled away from the hard shoulder to avoid reticulation spray - as we all do - but significantly none of them looked behind before doing so and had I been driving rather than the missus then there would have been a very close near miss.

As I dropped my bike off at my LBS in Milligan St I then see 2 or 3 instances of very late red light sprinters who can thank patient motorists that they are not in ED.

Cyclists please remember that our fervent expectation that motorists yield our rights to us needs to be reciprocated.

Thoughts? :|

uglybob

Re: Wake up Perth cyclists

Postby uglybob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:06 pm

commuting almost every day, it stuns me some of the things you see like that. i am amazed i don't hear of more stories of cyclists in hospital based on the behavior i see most days. so many idiots, everyone from a hipster in jeans on their fixie to a guy clad in lycra on his $10k S-Works.

ovie68

Postby ovie68 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Aren't you being like some people who lump all cyclists into the same category as the idiot cyclists that they see?

I agree with you that SOME cyclists should wake up but the majority of cyclists are good cyclists, unfortunately it's the idiots who are more noticeable.

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm

I don't think so ovie.

As i mentioned first, i am an enthusiastic cyclist myself and do seek to be careful and courteous - wave at cars that give me right of way, signal every turn, i will admit to having crept through red lights which just don't seem to sense me e.g. cnr Douglas Ave and Mill Point Rd

I wasn't having a spray at all cyclists but hopefully strike a nerve at those who ought to be a little more patient around the roads. Seeking to provoke comments and reflection.

regards

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:16 pm

uglybob wrote:commuting almost every day, it stuns me some of the things you see like that. i am amazed i don't hear of more stories of cyclists in hospital based on the behavior i see most days. so many idiots, everyone from a hipster in jeans on their fixie to a guy clad in lycra on his $10k S-Works.
Hi uglyboob,
I reckon most would know what you mean, and I am some where in the middle of all that descriptioning :D There is no one perfect and most mistakes on a bike are not fatal, though we do have to watch out for the motorists. We can't excuse all behaviours I suppose but the more cycles we have the better for the learners like me and the more experienced as well.

I sort of cringe a bit at the Hipster, Lycra terms as it reminds me too much of the motorist descriptions of all cyclists and maybe designates one is different to another when we are all cyclists at heart and the more the merrier. It sure is a big learning curve out on the roads, and that's where we want to be. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:45 pm

outnabike wrote:I sort of cringe a bit at the Hipster, Lycra terms as it reminds me too much of the motorist descriptions of all cyclists and maybe designates one is different to another when we are all cyclists at heart and the more the merrier. It sure is a big learning curve out on the roads, and that's where we want to be. :)
there isn't anything derogatory in those terms from my perspective - i just mean that it isn't any one user group who are the ones doing the wrong thing the majority of the time.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm

commuting almost every day, it stuns me some of the things you see like that. i am amazed i don't hear of more stories of cyclists in hospital based on the behavior i see most days.
It is my considered view after cycling nearly every day for the past five years that the number of idiots that we are discussing in this thread are disproportionately higher than in the general population. By way of example, very few motorists will risk overtaking when there is an oncoming vehicle, but I witness cyclists doing this every day at speed on PSPs, putting themselves and other cyclists at risk of serious injury. It is not just a few, it happens way too often.

My theory is that putting on lycra and a helmet somehow disengages a part of the brain for too many cyclists. I am not trying to bag all lycra clad riders (I am one myself) but they tend to be the main offenders. Until we can collectively ride sensibly, we are wasting our time complaining about motorists.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Completely agree with stealthbike- I see far more stupid/dangerous/inconsiderate/selfish actions from cyclists on any given day than from drivers.
This ranges from annoying (like queue jumping at lights), mildly dangerous/annoying (wheelsucking, riding two up on bike paths), dangerous (overtaking into oncoming traffic- very regular observation), very dangerous (running red lights, salmoning, overtaking cyclists on the left).
I am always up for a bit of CCR action but I like to let my legs/heart speech for themselves, I think a lot of people treat it all as a race and see much of the above as legitimate ways of beating the other cyclist and are happy to put themselves and others into danger to achieve a "win". A lot of people are also oblivious to the danger they have put themselves and others in.
My current favourite is people who wheelsuck for 20 minutes then overtake in a sprint to their designated turn off 200m up the road with nary a thanks, they can sleep well tonight thinking they are a faster/smarter cyclist than me.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 pm

stealthbike wrote: Until we can collectively ride sensibly, we are wasting our time complaining about motorists.
Well, I'm not from Perth but that sounds like rubbish to me.

Those who are a danger on the road need to be called out on their behaviour no matter the mode of transport (or that of their victims). I really don't understand this either/or mentality.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:02 pm

stealthbike wrote:
commuting almost every day, it stuns me some of the things you see like that. i am amazed i don't hear of more stories of cyclists in hospital based on the behavior i see most days.
It is my considered view after cycling nearly every day for the past five years that the number of idiots that we are discussing in this thread are disproportionately higher than in the general population. By way of example, very few motorists will risk overtaking when there is an oncoming vehicle, but I witness cyclists doing this every day at speed on PSPs, putting themselves and other cyclists at risk of serious injury. It is not just a few, it happens way too often.

My theory is that putting on lycra and a helmet somehow disengages a part of the brain for too many cyclists. I am not trying to bag all lycra clad riders (I am one myself) but they tend to be the main offenders. Until we can collectively ride sensibly, we are wasting our time complaining about motorists.
Must be a Perth thing as most of the stupid behaviour I see is from cyclists who aren't wearing Lycra. Many of them also don't know how to wear a helmet properly (usually tipped up at the front so that the forehead isn't covered).

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Must be a Perth thing as most of the stupid behaviour I see is from cyclists who aren't wearing Lycra
Perth is definitely a lycra town. I am a regular visitor to Melbourne and it is different to Perth. Could be something to do with the weather?
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Back when I lived in Attadale the cycleway around the river loop to Perth and back was not as agro infested as it is now. I hate it when a pumped-up strava junkie barrels around a blind corner causing a near-miss. I get pumped-up too but a little sanity is a good thing.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:16 am

Several people have mentioned that this behaviour exists across all segments of the cycling community not just strava junkies and competitive/try=hard lycra louts. Being a Mamil who wears more casual gear for commuting and "lycra" on group/longer rides I try to not do stupid/dangerous things (which we all do on occasion). What the OP is observing is the apparent high level of idiocy that exists within the cycling community> I often follow one cyclist who repeatedly breaks the law/does dangerous things. Currently thinking of a guy on a single speed steel roadie who ran about six lights in a road, held up traffic and overtook this traffic on the right whilst moving (Rokeby Road Subiaco if you know it isn't really suited to this).

As much as certain people get on their high horse and say other peoples behaviour does not reflect on their own behaviour that is wrong as humans generally categorise people and cyclists are a good example (we are doing it here by singling out "lycras"). People need to be made aware of dangerous behaviour but unfortunuately just like drivers when confronted cyclists go on the offensive and verbal/ physical assaults are a potential

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks CXCommuter

This is exactly the sort of discussion I was seeking to promote with this post. Irresponsible and dangerous behaviour by a few will taint the whole. Cyclists and motorists need to be called on their behaviours.

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:59 am

One incident I was caught up in last Saturday 0650 en route to work on my motorcycle was a pack of around 20-30 at the lights on the old freo traffic bridge engulfing a stationary car with a young lady and toddler.
They were on both sides in front behind and edging over the red lights .With hands all over her car leaning on it
Intimidating ..dangerous. .. stupid .
That is what makes my blood boil and gives cycling a bad name.
Had I been on her side of the lights some may have not finished their ride

Andersen

Postby Andersen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:13 am

It amazes me how many cyclists do not headcheck when pulling around an obstacle (puddle, grating, overtaking) - it's something that I've had drilled into my head since being on a motorcycle

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:19 am

I find most commusers do the right thing. I'm generalizing heaps here so flame suit on, but most of the time it's angry high end bike types who are probably high ego execs who would have otherwise played gold a few years back.

Hardly noticed anyone on a flat bending rules or riding around landcruisers. Fixie folks a're usually we'll behaved too.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:20 am

Andersen wrote:It amazes me how many cyclists do not head check when pulling around an obstacle (puddle, grating, overtaking) - it's something that I've had drilled into my head since being on a motorcycle
Yep, that's why God made mirrors...... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Andersen

Postby Andersen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 am

outnabike wrote:
Andersen wrote:It amazes me how many cyclists do not head check when pulling around an obstacle (puddle, grating, overtaking) - it's something that I've had drilled into my head since being on a motorcycle
Yep, that's why God made mirrors...... :)
So you have mirrors on your bicycle then? The headcheck on a motorcycle is an extra safety precaution so you don't miss a blind spot - saved my ass many a time on two wheels, motorised or not

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 pm

I am never amazed as I have, over a lifetime, observed that it is far from the offstated "minority" that behaves badly.

However I am still disappointed. Disappointed that ALL groups - Cars, cyclists, peds - seem to have an inability to extend the same courtesies and sense to others as they asked, nay, righteously DEMAND of others.

I am inclined to the same thinking as Stealthbike. I think cyclists are over-represented in the one-way expectations cohort.

Picked up another tube from the wildlife reserve along Como/South Perth this week of course. (Juxtaposes this with the common complaint about rubbish finding it's way into the bike lanes.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Not quite a lifetime yet I think Colin!