Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

lunar_c

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby lunar_c » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Agreed, LG's frame is far too big for me. I'd be tempted to buy it regardless just to own a bike that IS too big for me.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Novelty value.... I reckon I woulda held onto it as well.

I like the Pug, too. What's the weight of the 501 like?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:14 pm

Looking at the picture again, there are pangs of regret for selling it rather than hanging it on a wall as a piece of art. Must have been a bloody tall chap who was really into his cycling. As I said, it was built with top quality tubing and very expensive parts for the day.

I've also sold the dodgy old hilux ute recently who's tray that the bike frame is pictured in, owned it for over 20 years, so some regrets with the sale of it too.
LG = Low Gear

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Dammit what the heck is with finding all these amazing frames down there in Tassie, there's like 5 people on the whole island! :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Kim the ventoux is a bit different because it's got 501 for the main tubes which apparently is reasonably similar to 531 but a bit heavier and peugeot carbolite for the stays and fork. It's a great riding frame but it doesn't have that magic quality frame springiness and ride that my Colnago had. It certainly doesn't ride badly and it is stuff enough but it's different.. Weight wise it's 2.690kg I think for the 60/62cm frame but the fork is a brick.. 820g I think it was?

akq

Postby akq » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Latest find,rides ok!Image

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:55 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Dammit what the heck is with finding all these amazing frames down there in Tassie, there's like 5 people on the whole island! :lol:
4 today after a cyclist was killed by a ute driver that "did not see him".

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 pm

sumgy wrote:
4 today after a cyclist was killed by a ute driver that "did not see him".
So I hear, terrible news :( .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:47 pm

today's find a "SUN" bicycle, bought a Bell seat to go with it
Phil

JMcArthur

Postby JMcArthur » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 am

i have a Gemini Randonneur in a colour that looks like titanium. Mum purchased it for me new from Newtown Cycles. Loaned it and got it back 15 years later!. Manganese molybdenum frame and (originally) Deore touring components in 10 (?) speed. The bike had begun to flex a little, so I relegated it to coffee runs. Modification to 27 speed with 700 wheels and Tiagra running gear, Shimano Canti brakes, new stem, bars and Rolls saddle. No fit issues whatsoever in doing the conversions.
The bike cost circa $499.00 when purchased originally. I did one loaded tour in the hinterland to Noosa, with the 15 speed about 10 years ago. That convinced me to modernise and was when tiny flexing became evident.
These bicycles, in their day, were a very good machine. If you are curious about aspects of my re-build feel free to contact me. I have very few of the old parts, however.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

I recently put together a new beach bike out of an old Shogun hybrid frame, and some bits from a bike I picked up at the Salvos. My mates were mortified. It looked too new!

Riding along the beaches up here a few days ago, and I saw this sitting on the grass verge for hard rubbish pickup. A double check, yes it was a Concorde! A quick inspection revealed that it was covered in surface rust, front wheel had several broken nipples, and the rear hanger was so bent that the derailleur would not let the rear wheel turn. A couple of sizes too small for anything other than a quick trip to the pub anyway.

The good news is that it's genuine (Europa - low end CrMo), I know "someone" who can fix the front wheel (the rear seems fine), and with a few minor parts substitutions and some Nitto bars, I'll have a worthy beach machine.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Nice score, Velo13.... :D
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 pm

JMcArthur wrote:i have a Gemini Randonneur in a colour that looks like titanium. Mum purchased it for me new from Newtown Cycles. Loaned it and got it back 15 years later!. Manganese molybdenum frame and (originally) Deore touring components in 10 (?) speed. The bike had begun to flex a little, so I relegated it to coffee runs. Modification to 27 speed with 700 wheels and Tiagra running gear, Shimano Canti brakes, new stem, bars and Rolls saddle. No fit issues whatsoever in doing the conversions.
The bike cost circa $499.00 when purchased originally. I did one loaded tour in the hinterland to Noosa, with the 15 speed about 10 years ago. That convinced me to modernise and was when tiny flexing became evident.
These bicycles, in their day, were a very good machine. If you are curious about aspects of my re-build feel free to contact me. I have very few of the old parts, however.
Welcome, nice story for your first post.

Understand that older bikes don't flex more than when new, they just don't. They break, or they stay the same, that's the nature of the frame material. It might be you're a little heavier than you were???

akq

Postby akq » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm

More weird finds kerbsiding in Brisbane,an ALenax TRB 240 and a Tom Wallace special,soon to be sold on ebay or gumtree,the Alenax is crazy,just goes to prove that when it comes to most things,size does matter

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

akq wrote:Image
:shock:

That is awesome!

Yet another terrible idea that was doomed to failure before it was ever built... but it was built, and you landed it!

Definitely one for a museum display there. Or a cafe decoration. Not to be ridden, in any case.

tim

akq

Postby akq » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Tim I'm thinking of eating lots of chocolate and getting massively obese then jumping on it-thinking I might be able to propel myself from Brisbane to Perth in a couple of bounces on the pedals.Better I found it than some of the other kerbsiders as it would end up as a baked bean can :(

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:52 pm

There was a guy here in Brissie who was ebaying those things for a few years.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:10 pm

..and he's at pushies every year too.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:28 pm

For anybody in Hobart there's a nice repco superlite at the Mornington tip shop, looks about 55-56cm, as well as an old tassie cycles bike that's been in a head on crash, but it does have a nice set of araya 27" aero rims.

EDIT: if anybody wants either of the above, send me a PM and I could see if they're still there tomorrow.
LG = Low Gear

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 am

Theres an old EMMELLE clipper at my place if anyone wants to come and pick it up. im in Sydney. It appears to be all original (which includes period correct rust). im working on a considerably larger two wheeled bike so i don't have the time ,money, desire for it , but id love it to go to a good home. im not able to post any pics but i can email a couple to any interested person/s
steel is the real deal.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:34 pm

The top of my wanted list at the moment is a Hobart built Ken Self road bike (well one in my size). Today's tip shop visit turned up this, if it was about an inch bigger I'd be happy as Larry :lol: . Anyway, it's a very nicely finished frame with hand painted decals, Huret dropouts, came with dura ace cranks, O.M.A.S. superlight headset, zeus shifters and suntour cyclone derailluers. Might stick it on guntree as a swap on the off chance somebody has a 58cm frame that's too big for them.

EDIT: woohoo, 1000 posts! I obviously don't have a life.
LG = Low Gear

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm

that was at a tip shop?? i felt a pang of jealousy, but then i remembered that you have to put up with tasmanians every day, so it's a small joy you wholesomely deserve 8)

LG

Postby LG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Putting up with Tasmanians is no problem, the jealous barbs from mainlanders can become a drag :lol:

9 out of 10 visits to the tip shops (there are 3 in Hobart) brings up nothing worth buying so I start to wonder why do I bother, then something like this pops up...
LG = Low Gear

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:35 pm

There is a rideable Speedwell in Sydney, A335 earlier and only $250.
Seller is a great guy who would never make fun of holocaust victims to amuse his mates.
Racial Vilification Act of 1995 is not to be ignored for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:45 pm

persistence beats resistance.
i actually planned to move to tas about 12 years ago, but the company with whom i was due to start, relocated to brisbane..
Last edited by munga on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.