How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 am

poohkies wrote:did airport to kenmore in just over an hour
told you! not much slower than a car

did a mondo loop this morning. so a gretaboy-like 65kms this morning (except ~1200m of climbing)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 am

Another top ride in along the Murray today - cool but clear and beautiful. Pathways copped a bit of damage from last weeks downpour (40mm is the best rain in two years though!).

New thinner tyres (700x42) to replace the 700x50 MTB tyres that were on the commuter were excellent - never noticed I was using the 44t 'bashguard' instead of the actual 40T ring of the 1x10 set-up!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:57 am

Five minutes into my commute and realise I've left my water bottle at home. D'oh. It's only a 10 km commute so in the cool weather its not much of a hassle.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:03 am

jasonc wrote:

did a mondo loop this morning. so a gretaboy-like 65kms this morning (except ~1200m of climbing)
Just got to find a better route to the airport in peak hour. So it doesn't take as long Yeah I just saw your morning ride to work! Bloody animal! And gap creek road and mount cootha !!!!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 am

poohkies wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Just got to find a better route to the airport in peak hour. So it doesn't take as long Yeah I just saw your morning ride to work! Bloody animal! And gap creek road and mount cootha !!!!!!
Trust me, I'm hurting

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:38 am

No commute for me today.

Caught the train inbound yesterday (slept in) and rode the bike home.

On the ride home I realised that I had, in fact, bruised my thumb while being a baseball catcher on Sunday. It made for an interesting trip, avoiding riding on the hoods, forgetting at times and being reminded why.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Windy. Well, more like headwind than windy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:17 pm

jasonc wrote:

just shy of 90kms for the day with 1400m of climbing.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 am

No good today.

Had a decent ride in from Heidelberg on the MYT, played leapfrog after Willsmere park until my running gear started dropping gears at random.

Took it easy along the Boulie and past NMIT. Got through Abbostford then at Hoddle lights the chain snapped as I started to take off. Had to collect the chain and walk the bike to North Richmond Station to make the rest of my journey in.

Now hunting for a replacement chain, or to see if I can replace a single link only. :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 am

how many kms on the chain nezumi?

humid in brissy this morning. the trips up coot-tha felt like swimming

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:55 am

Rollin' rollin' rollin'.

Almost had a stack moving off from a set of lights this morning because the chain caught (it sometimes skips down a gear or two as I downshift before a set of lights and then pedal the wrong way to get the pedals in the correct take-off position). As it was I just hyper-extended my foot when the chain jerked and went out from under me and then I calmly got the chain re-engaged (luckily without having to touch anything as it hadn't fallen off).

Methinks I should put some more lube on the thing... It's been a while.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 am

jasonc wrote:how many kms on the chain nezumi?

humid in brissy this morning. the trips up coot-tha felt like swimming
*Relatively* new, came with the bike, over 1,000 kms but under 2,000 I think. Closer to 1,000 than 2,000.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 am

Not really my commute ride, but ride with my wife into her work at southbank, she's dropped 5 mins in commute time on her 3rd ride in! I enjoyed the ride practicing wheelies, got called a show off :p

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 am

Called up 99 bikes Fitzroy (where I bought the bike) and they're going to fix it up on the spot, no charge. :D

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Commute into the airport wAs nice wind still does my head in, managed to keep off the road, still need to find a better route in saying that was a nice ride

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 pm

poohkies wrote:Commute into the airport wAs nice wind still does my head in, managed to keep off the road, still need to find a better route in saying that was a nice ride
did you see the crit at nundah? (no I wasn't there) but some boys you have ridden with were there

eDIT: humid commute home.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:30 am

Nar didn't see them Jason, had a guy in blue fly past me towards the domestic terminal that was about it,

commute home definatley not feeling it, took it easy, had a head wind most the way, bloody sore, quick shower and bed, do it all again tomorrow!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 am

humid would be the only way to describe this mornings commute

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 am

Single figure temps for the start this morning - 9C increasing to 11C closer to the Melbourne CBD.
My regular sightings included one of the fox cubs along the Darebin Creek Trail, a quite inquisitive little critter - stood by the side of the path for a couple of seconds and stared at this human flying along on this strange contraption - before ducking back into the reeds along the creek.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 am

Lovely ride in. I managed to keep up with the two cyclists in front of me on the Albert St hill and didn't have the guy behind pass me there, which was a win. :D

And there were a fair few cyclists on Albert Street too at Hoddle St, some going just slower than me, so I leisurely passed them (so we were riding two abreast) in the left lane and I didn't have a single honker or tailgater. I really need to team up with someone else to do this claim the lane thing. Having a number 2 actually seems to work instead of being in the middle of the lane by myself and getting the abuse.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:54 am

Summernight wrote:Lovely ride in. I managed to keep up with the two cyclists in front of me on the Albert St hill and didn't have the guy behind pass me there, which was a win. :D

And there were a fair few cyclists on Albert Street too at Hoddle St, some going just slower than me, so I leisurely passed them (so we were riding two abreast) in the left lane and I didn't have a single honker or tailgater. I really need to team up with someone else to do this claim the lane thing. Having a number 2 actually seems to work instead of being in the middle of the lane by myself and getting the abuse.
I would be more than happy to team up - the trouble is timing. As I travel in from Heidelberg and leave home "when I'm ready" (anywhere from 6:40 to 7:20), meeting up at Albert St would be a bit chaotic. :)

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:11 am

30 degree and sunny ride home last night, glad I fitted a second bottle cage last week as I used all the water in both over the 40kms. Nice ride though, bit of a tailwind, good to be out in the heat

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:54 am

nezumi wrote:
Summernight wrote:Lovely ride in. I managed to keep up with the two cyclists in front of me on the Albert St hill and didn't have the guy behind pass me there, which was a win. :D

I would be more than happy to team up - the trouble is timing. As I travel in from Heidelberg and leave home "when I'm ready" (anywhere from 6:40 to 7:20), meeting up at Albert St would be a bit chaotic. :)
Especially just to ride a two block section of the road. :lol:

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I've been missing my commutes lately for various reasons but got back on the bike for the trip home tonight and I'm feeling it now. Just started a new job a bit further away from home, 45km instead of my previous 30km, plus a headwind all the way. Guess it will be easier next time.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 pm

45kms each way?