Bike racks for cars

Aushiker

Re: Bike racks for cars

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Emjay57 wrote:Yep, I'm looking at the same rack and the mount has a release on it to allow for movement to suit different style bikes.
Thanks.

For anyone interested there is one on eBay in Brisbane. Asking price is $170.

Andrew

RonK

Bike racks for cars

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Aushiker wrote:I like the Bikesonroof.com product, the other two are only good for predetermined destinations so not much help for the immediate stops where things can happen.
I can't see that being very effective. My suggestion is to run a cord with a small flag attached from the handlebar down to the front of the car so it's right in your line of sight.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Something like throwing your riding gloves on the dash could work as a reminder. I know the thing dangling from the mirror wouldn't last very long while I'm driving.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:44 pm

I run a cord with a red flag across the garage entrance when I put a bike on the roof. Doesn't help for random drive throughs etc but I think deals with the most likely place to forget. Providing I don't forget to put the cord up of course.
I've got a cheap strap on rear rack which has been really good, no problem with paint rubbing, and holds the bikes more rigidly than tow bar mounted racks.

I also have a tow hitch platform rack which is fantastic for convenience and holding various weird bikes like kids bikes and electric trials motorcycles.

I only use the roof rail when I need to take 4 bikes at once.

I don't think the dangers of a rear end accident with a rear bike rack can be compared to roof damage, because that basically only happens when there would have been a collision anyway without the bikes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Another option for keeping an eye on your bikes on the roof ... RoofScope

Andrew

RonK

Bike racks for cars

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:17 pm

A timely thread resurrection - recently got word of yet another bike destroyed and car damaged. Both car and household insurance are refusing coverage. It's just not worth the risk.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:36 pm

RonK wrote:A timely thread resurrection - recently got word of yet another bike destroyed and car damaged. Both car and household insurance are refusing coverage. It's just not worth the risk.
That is interesting. I asked of my bikes were covered if they were damaged while not at home or in transit and was told they are, so not no doubt depends on the policy.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:09 am

I recently moved from roof mount to a Kuat hitch mounted rack and its fantastic! Cant recommend it enough

But saying that i will still use the roof mount for single bike duty and when its a pain in the butt to get the Kuat sorted.

Also i am very sceptical of the one about your car insurance. I can see why the house policy may not cover the bike (unless its lodged as a specified portable) but the car insurance covers you for basically everything

RonK

Bike racks for cars

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 am

queequeg wrote:
RonK wrote:A timely thread resurrection - recently got word of yet another bike destroyed and car damaged. Both car and household insurance are refusing coverage. It's just not worth the risk.
That is interesting. I asked of my bikes were covered if they were damaged while not at home or in transit and was told they are, so not no doubt depends on the policy.
This poor bugger drove from Brisbane to Melbourne and back over Xmas with his bike on the roof, being extra careful to remember it was there, then on getting home drove straight into his garage.

Dunno who his insurers are, but apparently each says the other is liable.

I think the question you need to ask your insurers is are you covered and by which policy when the bike is on the car, but the damage occurs at home.

It is my understanding that most car insurance does not cover goods carried externally.

I'd caution against assuming that either your household or car insurance provide coverage. You need certainty. Read the PDS carefully. If still uncertain, ask.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:37 am

RonK wrote:
queequeg wrote:
This poor bugger drove from Brisbane to Melbourne and back over Xmas with his bike on the roof, being extra careful to remember it was there, then on getting home drove straight into his garage.

Dunno who his insurers are, but apparently each says the other is liable.

I think the question you need to ask your insurers is are you covered when the bike is on the car, but the damage occurs at home.

I'd caution against assuming that either your household or car insurance provide coverage. You need certainty. Read the PDS carefully. If still uncertain, ask.
My car insurance is pretty clear about what is and isn't covered. The damage to the car itself would've covered, but not the bikes as they are not part of the car.

My bikes are covered as portable items and are covered regardless of their location. I specifically asked the insurer about bikes falling off the rack and they had no issues.
In my case, my contents and car insurer are the same, so they can't send me elsewhere.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MattP69

Postby MattP69 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:23 am

I have a Thule Raceline 2 that suits my hatch back perfectly. It is really secure however I am not sure if I would trave interstate with it though. Probably be OK, but I am a bit fussy about my steeds!