pedal-powered family transport options

thebear1966

pedal-powered family transport options

Postby thebear1966 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

I am trying to find a pedal-powered transport solution for 2 growing kids. Up until now i have been carrying my now six year old to and from school (with my three year old as well) in a bike trailer but the older one is getting a bit tall for it. I thought of a two seater recumbent with the trailer in tow for the younger one but this would be a bit long and unwieldy. they are also very expensive ($10K) and I would like the kids to still be protected from the elements so we can travel whatever the weather. the route we take is not safe enough for the older one to manage yet by himself. the quickest route to school includes steep grades but there is a fairly level, longer route we could take. I would be prepared to pay about $5 000 for the right solution. anyone have suggestions?

high_tea

Re: pedal-powered family transport options

Postby high_tea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Cargo bike? We have a Yuba Mundo which takes two (5yo and 3yo) on the back and little one (18 months) on the front. Same story, kids outgrew the trailer. If you're in Brisbane, you're welcome to take ours for a test ride.

For mine, it's easier to deal with than the trailer. I cope okay with hills; it has low gears and I use them often. Oh, and the kids like it. That's a good thing.

I blogged about it at http://cyclingwithkids.blogspot.com/201 ... ughts.html

EDIT: fix url
Last edited by high_tea on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 pm

AU wagon on gas? (cliche answer from another forum I frequent)

Tandem tagalong?

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Is a tandem bike a possibility? Or, one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-triden ... prod28192/

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

The Hase Pino bikes are very innovative. But they are quite long and not inexpensive. Methinks few bikes with this kind of carrying capacity will be.

Last edited by RonK on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm

A good overview of cargo bikes in Ride On Ditch the car - doesn't cover everything but is a pretty good starting point.

A couple of other ideas for you

Bike friday tandem

The Onderwater Family tandem

Or a semi recumbent, like the no longer manufactured Bilenky Viewpoint or the Hase Pino - bigger child upfront, smaller child in the trailer
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

thebear1966

Postby thebear1966 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks to all those who replied. Plenty to think about.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi Bear,

More on the tandem theme, this is my solution to a similar problem.

My 2.5 year old son rides as stoker with my 4.5 year old daughter on the tagalong. As soon as he is big enough for the tagalong though they will swap (and I'll lower the kiddie cranks) mostly because I'd prefer the heaviest to be on the bike with me.

Suitable second hand tandems do pop up on the usual sites every now and then, but you have to keep an eye out and be a little wary. Mine came from eBay with a description that included 'questionable condition' so there were few other bidders. It turned out to be better than described.

I also previously towed a trailer behind a tandem, and I reckon that a tandem is a good towing vehicle if your youngest doesn't get too bored. My son much prefers to be riding rather than just sitting.

Cheers,

Cameron

Andersen

Postby Andersen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 am

Are there any others out there on the Yuba Mundo to give their impressions?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Your "protection from the elements" criterion is the kill-switch for riding. No bicycle solution for bigger kids wil meet this. You'd need to get a car.

But as the Dutch would say "you're not made of sugar, you won't melt". If they're going to be good cyclists in future they're going to have to get used to the idea that sometimes they'll get a bit wet, and to minimise this they need to carry decent rain-gear.

We faced this situation when ours reached 4-5 yo. Two in the trailer was getting close to 50kgs and riding in hilly areas was becoming an endurance epic. We already had a tandem so the first step was to get the 'kiddycrank' conversion. Second step was to get an Allycat tagalong - this could be towed by my wife or towed behind the tandem for a long-load solution.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

simonn

Postby simonn » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:14 pm

http://99bikes.com.au/trailer-bike-weehoo-igo-2-seat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;