It's a Bundy!

LG

Re: It's a Bundy!

Postby LG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Not sure if 1/4" drive socket sets go up to 15mm, but if you're looking to buy, they might be another option.
LG = Low Gear

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:10 pm

LG wrote:Sadly most crank bolts and pullers are 14mm, many older sugino, stronglight, campag et al bolts are 15mm, which is the problem quang has come up against.
No, that's not quite right. Crank puller tools come in 14 and 15mm sizes, Cyclo and Sugino make both sizes, I have examples. Both are readily available from various stores.
If all else fails get yourself a 'Peanut Butter Spreader' crank bolt spanner.
The Cyclo/Weldite 'Peanut Butter' crank bolt spanner is available in 14mm and 15mm and IRRC I bought one recently from Torpedo 7 for about $10.00. Park and Campagnolo make them as well but the Campag one only comes in 15mm IRRC .

Richard
PS if we are talking really old stuff TA and Stronglight had weird nut and crank thread sizes on some models which need the specific tool.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:15 pm

To quote the bloke from The Gods Must be Crazy; "Ai-yi-yi!"
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LG

Postby LG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Sure, I don't disagree that you can buy pullers in both sizes, though 15mm aren't anywhere near as common as 14mm, and most people buying at a LBS or a standard tool online, will be buying a 14mm tool. If I didn't already have a tool that worked, I'd seek one out myself.

EDIT: I should also add that my upbringing and place of residence through much of my life has probably contributed to 'making do' and bastardising tools. I grew up on a farm a couple hours from a hardware store, and still live more than an hour from a hardware or LBS. Thus if something doesn't quite fit or do the job, the angle grinder becomes my friend :lol: .
LG = Low Gear

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Big thanks to bigfriendlyvegan for lending his Park tool, which took seconds to pull off the crank bolts after all these months. Next discovery was the Campag BB, and the Italian threaded shell. Lockring came off, but the NDS cup aint coming out with my cheapo pin tool(seems to be rusted in, and Id need a more precise tool to break the bond). The fixed cup came out without too much trouble, and this revealed a Campag axle with the newer engraved logo and marked 70-SS. Inside the shell came out with flakes of rust though. Will need to pull out the NDS cup to give it a proper clean out and see how bad the rust is.

I am sure that the fork is Columbus as the steerer has the Columbus SLX rifling. Looking inside the BB, I cannot see any rifiling, but going from the Italian BB, would it be a fair guess that the tubing would be Columbus as well.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

dayne

Postby dayne » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:53 am

If you're re painting it just heat the bb with a small gas burner,
If not get a big pin spanner tool and clamp it to the bb with a piece of timber either side to stop the tool jumping out.
And you obviously know the Italian thread bb both spin the same way ?
That's why they are usually lose one side.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:51 pm

After a while attempting to remove the NDS cup, I decided to follow Dayne's advice and heated up the BB shell today over the stove, and it came out. It was rusted tight, and took a fair bit of effort to remove. But once that was out, I got down to rust removal and paint stripping. Upon stripping, I found out that the purple is not the original colour. It was a neon orange, and had some old logos still on the frame, or a least visible on the primer(both sides of the seat tube as pictured, and both sides of the downtube, directly next to the DT shifter bosses). It reads SEERS Racing. Anyone know anything about that? This bike did come from up in Port Macquarie, which has a cycling shop owned by Graham Seers. I can't seem to find any info of a team or a brand though.

Anyway, heres the frame completely stripped of the old paint

Bundy seatstay

The worst bit of surface rust

And the rifling of the Columbus SLX fork. However, there are no signs of what the frame tubing is. Prob Columbus cause of the Italian BB shell

dayne

Postby dayne » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:19 am

These are great,
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301040617743?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The open end is perfect for pedals too.

Judging by the rear drop outs I'm guessing this would be a later frame from around the mid 90's but may be wrong,

It's amazing what a bit of heat can do to help undo things, bundys are very nice frames and I'm sure this will come up great.

QuangVuong

It's a Bundy!

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 pm

The dropouts are Shimano uF, semi horizontal dropouts that are from the late 70s and early 80s. There's a few listing on eBay which come in DA EX packaging, so the Velobase dates seem accurate.

Upon dissolving the seatpost, I found out that there is another tube inside the seat tube. It takes a 27.2mm seatpost, but that other tube inside the seat tube prevents me from pushing it far inside(Guessing its 15cm down). I initially thought that it was a repaired frame, but there were no visible joints when I stripped the paint. Weird, anyone have an idea why it's like that?

Anyway, over the past few days I sanded down the rust, and primed up the frame, whilst thinking of a paint scheme. It'll be pearl white fading to a metallic blue out the back. This is it so far.

Initially I wanted to have a pearl white with a blue shine to it, but I opted for the cheaper paint. But still worked out nicely.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:27 am

How you painting it? And what with?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I primed it with Galmet Keytite Steel primer, which is a penetrating primer to convert light surface rust, straight out of the can. As for the rest of the paint, I use my 0.3mm tipped airbrush. A bigger tip would get the job done much quicker, and get less clogged up, but mine still works alright.

As for the paint I'm using, it's this pearl white, and pearl sapphire from Monte Marte(a relatively cheap brand which I found at a discount store). Cost me $4 for a 75mL tube of paint, which I thinned out and mixed with some white to brighten it up. The blue will only be thinned out and sprayed on. 75mL of white which is thinned out to approx 125mL was more than enough for the frame and fork. I'll also have a lot of blue leftover too. For the clear coat, I still have leftover clear acrylic polyurethane(Cabots Cabothane from Bunnings) from painting my two carbon bikes earlier in the year.

EDIT: Added some touches to my fork crown. Do you guys reckon a Columbus fork sticker would be fitting, or will it be too busy?

Sneak peek of whats going to be on the frame too.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Only if it's onto gaspipe or the size of a "LOOK"!!! decal QV :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I know there are Jim Bundy bikes and Peter Bundy bikes. If you're a very close friend of the family, you might be lucky enough to have a Col Bundy bike. I've never heard of a Quang Bundy before, though.

Nice work, QV. You're going to be an engineer, so you might as well start doing some metallurgy and make your own headtube badge.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:08 am

BFV, correction, it should be Quang Vundy
:-)

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:47 pm

So after a whole year, I finally finished up the paint. I went with a 4 colour fade rather than have QV all over the bike. Decided that it was gonna be too busy.

Only QV logos on the HT, crown, and brake bridge. Will have Bundy decals on the DT whenever I go and find out who actually built this one.

Bundy pantograph filled in.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Turned out nice. I wonder why an Aussie built frame has an Italian threaded bb?

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:17 pm

QuangVuong wrote:The dropouts are Shimano uF, semi horizontal dropouts that are from the late 70s and early 80s. There's a few listing on eBay which come in DA EX packaging, so the Velobase dates seem accurate.

Upon dissolving the seatpost, I found out that there is another tube inside the seat tube. It takes a 27.2mm seatpost, but that other tube inside the seat tube prevents me from pushing it far inside(Guessing its 15cm down). I initially thought that it was a repaired frame, but there were no visible joints when I stripped the paint. Weird, anyone have an idea why it's like that?

Anyway, over the past few days I sanded down the rust, and primed up the frame, whilst thinking of a paint scheme. It'll be pearl white fading to a metallic blue out the back. This is it so far.

Initially I wanted to have a pearl white with a blue shine to it, but I opted for the cheaper paint. But still worked out nicely.
Not sure if this helps but I can't recall seeing any bundy frames panto'd before '83/84 .As for Italian threads the owner may have requested it or that's what he had available at the time ,a good friend of mine recently stopped building frames and gave all his leftover bits from 30-40 yrs building to Peter because the Bundy family had always been helpful to him so if any of those parts ie fork crowns, lugs ,tips etc get used on new builds imagine someone in 20yrs trying to date the frame the same way you have it would be a guess at best . Anyway it's great to see you bringing these Aussie made frames back to life as I always thought our frames were as good as European brands it's just that we didn't seem to be able to finish them as well although some came close ,ie Paino .So now you need to hunt for one of those and the uncanny way you have of finding nice old builds I don't doubt you will find one.

QuangVuong

It's a Bundy!

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 am

Finally completed.

This time, it's not a gold chain, but a metallic blue one. I wonder how well it'll hold up over time.

Running very rare 18h front and 24h rear 6500 Ultegra hubs.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:23 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Finally completed.

This time, it's not a gold chain, but a metallic blue one. I wonder how well it'll hold up over time.

Running very rare 18h front and 24h rear 6500 Ultegra hubs.
Looks great but I don't rate the blue chain.

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:34 pm

saw on Facebook that this turned out to be a gefsco bundy. Was thinking that as i filtered through the thread as Geoff used to pantograph the customers or persons name on the seat stay caps on really special builds. :)

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Very, very impressive.

QuangVuong

It's a Bundy!

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 pm

Yes it is certainly a Geoff Scott built Bundy. He was the only one who had a pantographing machine. Was surprised when he told me it was one of his. Been thinking it was Jim's for the past year and a half.

Jim gave the bits to Geoff, and he put it all together. So that doesn't really explain why it's got a JIS headset, Italian BB, and mismatched fork tips. But that's what Geoff got, so that's what he put together. Might be 653, but I'll speak to Geoff again next week and see what he reckons. Probably will get some Geoff Scott decals for the DT too.

I am having second thoughts on the chain too. Silver would fit well with the rest of the parts, but gold is what I run on every bike. Since it's already on the bike, I'll use it for a bit before I swap it out.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:11 am

QuangVuong wrote:Yes it is certainly a Geoff Scott built Bundy. He was the only one who had a pantographing machine. Was surprised when he told me it was one of his. Been thinking it was Jim's for the past year and a half.

Jim gave the bits to Geoff, and he put it all together. So that doesn't really explain why it's got a JIS headset, Italian BB, and mismatched fork tips. But that's what Geoff got, so that's what he put together. Might be 653, but I'll speak to Geoff again next week and see what he reckons. Probably will get some Geoff Scott decals for the DT too.

I am having second thoughts on the chain too. Silver would fit well with the rest of the parts, but gold is what I run on every bike. Since it's already on the bike, I'll use it for a bit before I swap it out.
The fork is not a Tange Champion is it? It could explain the JIS race and the rifling in the steerer. However I have a GEFSCO built from Tange Champion no1 and although it has a Tange steerer it has been machined down to take a standard ISO headset race :?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:36 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: The fork is not a Tange Champion is it? It could explain the JIS race and the rifling in the steerer. However I have a GEFSCO built from Tange Champion no1 and although it has a Tange steerer it has been machined down to take a standard ISO headset race :?
It's the crown that would determine the crown seat diameter. The 1" OD steerer is brazed into the crown. This one has a Columbus steerer.

Anyway, I'd like to add some info on the SEERS Racing brand. This was Graham Seers' brand, and those bikes were built by the late John Hardaker up in Port Macquarie, which is where my Gefsco Bundy was purchased from. Graham actually did not built under his brand name, but rather built under the Royal Star brand in Sydney. He built at Ron Bates' store in Hurstville. I spoke to Graham himself, so all this should be spot on. He is currently living in Malaysia for coaching.

Also, number 3 is coming.

QuangVuong

It's a Bundy!

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Frame cleaned up very well.

Cool braze on tab too.

Ive always had thoughts that this wasn't built by Jim himself, and I was spot on when I pulled the bike apart. It definitely is built under the Bundy name, going off the markings on the steerer. Cool little diagram drawn for the paint scheme too.

It was the pinning inside the ST and chainstays which confirmed that it ain't Jim's work. Geoff initally thought it was his, but he reckons from the pinning might be Paul Macdolland's work. Paul was trained 32 years ago by Geoff. Whatever it is, it is a very clean and well built frame. It comes in at 1745g with a 655g fork, which is very decent for a Reynolds 653 frame that is 54 square, with a very long HT.

I have reason to believe that this may be the same builder as my Red Marble frame. They are a few particular details which are very similar. I'll have to continue searching around.

And done. Decided to build it up with a 600 group, since Ive got a couple of those groups lying around. It still does need a cassette though.

Very minimalistic Haden lugs.

I dont know which Superbe Pro pedals these are since someone has chopped and sanded part of the cage off.

The blue sticker on the ST is the guarantee that the frame was built with Haden lugs.