Brisbane Blast

Wakatuki

Brisbane Blast

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:23 pm

I will be spectating the Brisbane Blast on the 15th any one going so I can put faces to the names?
Will be there from 8am. Pams here too if you don't want to meet me! :)

Could not find anything about this using search function. Sorry if a duplicate.

baghwan

Re: Brisbane Blast

Postby baghwan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:03 am

Bummed got a Christmas lunch to attend, might check things out in the morning on my ride.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:09 pm

I was going to make a thread earlier in the week but I never got around to actually doing it. It was a good day. Some good breakaways. I slept in and then eventually made my way there around 9.30 to catch the Masters A and Elite A race.

They had some pace going. I wonder how fast they were all going......... *loads veloviewer. Clicks on update*

Son of a b***h!

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Gee, they promoted that event well, didn't they.

I live in the CBD but have not seen anything about it.

If they want it be a regular event they'll have to do better.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I hadn't heard a thing until this afternoon. Even then I only heard about it because a rider from up here (Gavin Broderick) got 4th place and won the prime.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Missed a cracker of a day. There was even a Ferrari pace car. Loved it in the early laps when he put the pedal down with some revs. Reminded me of the good ol days of Indy on the Gold Coast where the sound of Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches echoed through the high rise buildings at 8.30 on a Thursday during the first GT practice session :P

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I went from about 8:00 till 930 ish. We were both tired from the night before and the heat was not agreeing with me. Saw Gav Broderick win took a short 15 sec video on iPhone it captured it quite well, will work on upload.
Promo was rubbish. Managed to get Pam some GP4000s black chili for her bike at internet prices from the cannondale tent. Liked the look of there CX bike too.
I must admit I was a little bit envious I will have to try this type of riding. Be interesting to see how I place. I have ridden with Gavin before, in a bunch it was like a cat toying with a lame mouse.
I was the lame mouse BTW :)
But yes RonK I got within 20 meters of the event
and really had to wonder if I have the wrong date or year!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:34 pm

We were both tired from the night before
Hence why I chose to get a few extra hours of sleep this morning before riding there to catch the last two races :P

There will also be a race over at Southbank in late Jan/February aswell. They tried to race in the CBD last year but the hotels didn't like it as they didn't have enough info about the closures/diversions as it was too close to Christmas or something (planned at the last minute I think). This year they got in early and the hotels agreed on the layout. A few niggles that I saw a couple times with spectators/traffic guys having to yell at drivers to continue driving/speed up to get off the circuit after exiting car parks at a crawl (both times were drivers of the older generation - must have been confused by the plastic barriers on the corners :mrgreen: )

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:03 pm

The old Asian fella in the MB I saw was very confused he was on the middle of the road, the scooter came around the bend in the background, yet the yelling and barrier shifting commence!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 am

I was there from early on until mid-morning, the racing was good but compared to the event that was held in Feb over in Southbank I felt that it didn't have the same vibe/buzz from the spectators.
No coffee carts that I could see, I was on Alice St for the duration, they would have made a killing!

It was a technical course one suited to a rider who can A: power up the hill and B: power out of 4 corners for the set time of the race....very different to the usual crit races in Brisbane.

Very much looking forward to the event to be held in Feb in Southbank, hopefully all of Grey St will be closed off!
Lisa

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 am

Grey Street would be great, Grey st onto Tribune onto Merivale onto Glenelg = 1.2 k's.
Divert traffic onto Little Stanley Street and Cordelia.

But in regard to the Blast I was loitering between the corners of Margaret and George walking along Alice mainly near the Cannondale tent and the top near George St.
Many missed profit opportunities as has been said. Cannondale caught my eye with the CX's I bought two tyres from them too. Surprised no Giant dealer was there. Only a few stalls. The thing that narked me though was that, dressed in my civvies without bike in tow, was how discourteous everyone was. As a cyclist I was interested in the event if I had been a MM or dumb pedestrian I would have been annoyed. I didn’t expect bell ringing, I was aware, I moved out the way for to let them scoot or get by and no one said thanks or simular, not even a smile or nod. It's at these events where the curious wander in or MM get lost, stuck or delayed we have the chance to shine the most.
Courtesy cost nothing, yet it is priceless in its reception.

Pain killers are kicking in and just re-read. Sorry the pain levels are quite high.... Boy am I a cranky pants today! I still stand by what I have said but less angrily!