I think i'm about to be bitten by the bug...

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:Which bike are you referring to? The Masi? If you are it does have mounts for panniers on the front forks well looked like to me :)
Its very possible, but it wasn't listed on the specs in the web sight, it only listed mudguard mounts.
Cannondale is aluminium isn't? Personally I would prefer a steel tourer and will not be buying a aluminium one.
The cannondale is a great bike owned by many, it is strong comes fully kitted and is a dedicated tourer. Myself I would stack it up as equal to any tourer. I am aware of the steel following, but in my opinion it is a personal preference that each buyer needs to decide for himself.
Also for me, I pull a trailer so the chainstay length is less of an issue. Must check my CRX 1 ...
Andrew
Well the op wasn't sure what he wanted in that area, if the op is getting a trailer I'd recommend to keep the fantastic bike he already has! especially as it has front pannier mounts, of coarse the masi is a great bike and anyone would enjoy to own it. I said my opinion more in value for money, he could get some great upgrades on the current bike. Im a bit thrifty and like to make do with what I have; so my opinions are usually based on saving/value for money rather than outright best for the job.
il padrone wrote:Then you could look at the Vivente World Randonneur. Borsari Cycles in Melbourne (Carlton) have them for $1799.

Cro Moly db goodness, Tubus Cro moly racks, long wheelbase, all braze-ons, tough Scwalbe Marathon tyres, wide range LX triple gear set, hub-dynamo with bright IQ Fly headlight, mudguards. Lovely

Everything you'd really need for a good touring bike :D
Yes this was the bike I saw in glen parker that i mentioned above. Very nice and the dynamo hub was a neat little extra even though led's are so good these days. I have to say I was guilty of staring, It just has 'the look' of a bike that is made to do something.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

rustguard wrote: Very nice and the dynamo hub was a neat little extra even though led's are so good these days.
The B&M IQ Fly is an led light!! The led dynamo lights are coming. Maybe not quite as bright as the Ayups, but getting good. The IQ Fly is 40 lux. I've just ordered a Supernova E3 60 lux :D

The beam pattern images shown at Peter White Cycles website are impressive
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 pm

il padrone wrote:The B&M IQ Fly is an led light!! The led dynamo lights are coming. Maybe not quite as bright as the Ayups, but getting good. The IQ Fly is 40 lux. I've just ordered a
yes of coarse, I was just refering to the battery life of led's being so good. Should have made myself clearer, Sometimes I have difficulty in transposing my thoughts to writing
Last edited by rustguard on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 pm

rustguard wrote:Yes this was the bike I saw in glen parker that i mentioned above.
Cool. Which store was that? Would really like to take a look myself.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:37 pm

il padrone wrote:The B&M IQ Fly is an led light!! The led dynamo lights are coming.
What sort of energy drain (pedaling load) if any do these dynamo lights add?

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:19 pm

from what i've read, very little.

It is difficult to turn the hub itself manually, feels like the bearings are stuffed... but when on the bike, and with the momentum of the bike, the higher the speeds, the lower the drag, so once you're over about 5-10km/h(guessing) the drag is minimal, if any.

Theoretically, due to the magnet layout, at one part of the rotation there is drag, and in the next part there is force. The result of this is a gross effect of neither.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:The B&M IQ Fly is an led light!! The led dynamo lights are coming.
What sort of energy drain (pedaling load) if any do these dynamo lights add?
That is more dependant on the dynamo quality rather than the light. All dynamos output 6V 3W (well except for the B&M 12V, but that's an exception). The new lights are just far more efficient in using this output.

The best hub dynamo, Schmidt is described as having a drag equal to 1m climb per 1 km (1 in 1000) when switched off, 5m climb per km (1 in 200) when on, (ie. two fifths of bugger all). My B&M S6 sidewall dynamo has more drag, maybe enough to cause me to drop a gear on a hill, but not a worry.

Would love a Schmidt Nabendynamo 8) Actually they must output 6V 6W, as they will power two headlights quite happily. It's just the cost of the hub, together with a wheel rebuild, that is the barrier ~$450 for a dynamo :shock:
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rustguard wrote:Yes this was the bike I saw in glen parker that i mentioned above.
Cool. Which store was that? Would really like to take a look myself.

Andrew
Its the shop in nedlands, I was really surprised when I saw it as it is a really top end store with tons of super expensive bikes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 am

rustguard wrote:Its the shop in nedlands, I was really surprised when I saw it as it is a really top end store with tons of super expensive bikes.
Thanks. Will try and drop in on the weekend.

Andrew

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:40 pm

it was a couple of months ago so might want to ring first if your travelling a long way.

Tale

Postby Tale » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 am

Found a guide to crossing the Nullarbor. It goes east-west (wrong for you) and is written by an American, but it's new this year and has a lot of interesting stuff, so here you go: http://theridersofoz.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=57
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:45 am

Yeah, came across that recently myself... been soaking up as much info as i can... never know when some otherwise insignificant detail becomes important :)