Strava-like tourism

When you travel overseas are you likely to take on iconic strava-like courses rides?

Highly likely
17%
Likely
17%
Unlikely
67%

Total votes: 12
viacesarebattisti

Strava-like tourism

Postby viacesarebattisti » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 pm

I am interested in knowing how many cyclists, when they travel overseas, compare themselves to other cyclists on iconic or well-known rides

Aushiker

Re: Strava-like tourism

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I don't compare myself. I go for the ride experience, not a performance experience.

Andrew

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:19 pm

If I was going os to ride I'd use Strava to research rides, and work out roughly how long it should take me to do various segments or climbs.

... And then double it. :D

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

viacesarebattisti

Postby viacesarebattisti » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. The blokes I go for a ride in the mornings seemed to be interested in comparing the rides of some of the pros, but they were necessarily competing. It was more about the ride and less about the time.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:18 pm

When I have ridden classic climbs OS it has been part of longer trips riding most days (French Alps 2011 I rode 21 from 28 days 2100km and 75,000m vert) so rode most of the climbs tempo focusing on enjoying the climbs and didn't download. The few I did ride hard I did post to Strava (Mont Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez) out of curiosity. I hit the interval button for both climbs anyway, but posted on Strava mainly wanting to confirm I had used the correct start and finish points.

I did post all my rides from the USA trip from this year regardless of how I approached them, not sure why the change in behaviour? I don't bother with Strava at all when back home.

Note though that you won't be comparing your times to the pros as most of them don't post on Strava.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 pm

I certainly take an interest in how much I suck going up any given climb compared with the pros, using Strava on the iconic cols in France and Italy. There's a small but select band of top pros that do post Strava rides, such as Jeremy Roy, Thibaut Pinot and Laurens ten Dam.

But it doesn't stop me from looking at the scenery, enjoying the company of the people I'm riding with and thinking how lucky I am to be there. If Strava ever got more important than that I'd give it away.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:20 am

I would be riding for the enjoyment and searching out a pleasurable route. If it has some strava segments so be it. I'm a loaded tourist, not some nippy fella on a racing bike.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41 am

Strava even had a small part to play in deciding the destination for my honeymoon! :lol:

P.S. thank you to my wife for letting me ride up Mt Wellington on our honeymoon :shock: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Manu3172

Postby Manu3172 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 am

When riding overseas, I'd rather try to find the most scenic routes and enjoy the ride. I may ride some famous climbs, but I will unlikely turn Strava on to record the ride (it's not a training session).