Moron Motorists #3

il padrone

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:05 pm

That sort of crap action routinely happens to me on a right turn I have to do into our local distributor street from the main road, on a descent. Drivers don't seem to:

1. look for a cyclist in the right turn lane; nor
2. thnk that a cyclist could possibly be riding at 45kmh along the road.

I have had everything from small compacts, 4WDs, Mercs and the local bus route drivers pull out straight in front of me. A bit better these days as I run the dynamo headlight full-time and they seem to pick me out better now.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Todays moron motorist goes to the useless BMW SUV driver who couldn't wait behind me patiently for 10 metres as I was waiting for the Delhi Rd bike lane to open up and this brainless monkey trying to go past onto the M2. You are very lucky to still have your rear mirror intact because I was seriously thinking about knocking it off. Oh, and your horn use just showed what an ignorant useless contribution to society you are.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:Todays moron motorist goes to the useless BMW SUV driver who couldn't wait behind me patiently for 10 metres as I was waiting for the Delhi Rd bike lane to open up and this brainless monkey trying to go past onto the M2. You are very lucky to still have your rear mirror intact because I was seriously thinking about knocking it off. Oh, and your horn use just showed what an ignorant useless boil on the arse of society you are.
Edit for clarity :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:20 pm

i had a corker tonight. i was crossing flinders st heading towards st kilda rd. there is always a queue of LH turners from flinders into st kilda and when you get the green to cross flinders, you have to wait for them to clear the intersection. so there's this one guy who's not moving, sitting across the lane, blocking everyone. i wave him through, as sometimes drivers are a bit unsure whether to proceed or wait it out, and i notice he's not paying attention - HE'S GOT HIS PHONE OUT AND TAKING A SHOT THROUGH THE FRONT SIDE WINDOW OF THE FLINDERS ST STATION FACADE.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 am

jules21 wrote:i had a corker tonight. i was crossing flinders st heading towards st kilda rd. there is always a queue of LH turners from flinders into st kilda and when you get the green to cross flinders, you have to wait for them to clear the intersection. so there's this one guy who's not moving, sitting across the lane, blocking everyone. i wave him through, as sometimes drivers are a bit unsure whether to proceed or wait it out, and i notice he's not paying attention - HE'S GOT HIS PHONE OUT AND TAKING A SHOT THROUGH THE FRONT SIDE WINDOW OF THE FLINDERS ST STATION FACADE.
That is classic.

Andrew

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:16 am

Unfortunately idiots who can't work out what to do are common at that intersection. Also common there are cars which go into the intersection without being able to clear it, they hold up trams with hundreds of people on board.

One of the best things I ever saw was a car stopped in Flinders St which decided to jump across the intersection (there was no room on the other side of the intersection) when the lights went amber, just so he didn't miss that set of lights. Problem was that in doing so he cut off a bicycle cop, who promptly booked him.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:05 am

DavidS wrote:One of the best things I ever saw was a car stopped in Flinders St which decided to jump across the intersection (there was no room on the other side of the intersection) when the lights went amber, just so he didn't miss that set of lights. Problem was that in doing so he cut off a bicycle cop, who promptly booked him.
what i don't get is that this happens everywhere, at so many intersections. it's obviously a major cause of congestion. yet cops almost never do nothing about it and we're about to spend $8bn on a new tunnel to solve it. i reckon i could fix congestion for about $200,000 if i was made el presidente.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:34 am

I could fix that particular problem AND make a fortune. And more so than that.. I could fix it.. and be booking motorists.. not for going 5 k over somewhere perfectly safe.. but for demonstratedly being stupid selfish sods... stuffing up other people and causing chaos and congestion.

2 coppers at each intersection in the CBD in peak hours. Cops to use their discretion and only book people who obviously were not going to clear the intersection when they entered it. And not for example the bloke stuck when the guy beside him jumped in front and changed lanes into the spot he was aiming for.

Easily a ticket a light change

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:38 am

DavidS wrote:One of the best things I ever saw was a car stopped in Flinders St which decided to jump across the intersection (there was no room on the other side of the intersection) when the lights went amber, just so he didn't miss that set of lights. Problem was that in doing so he cut off a bicycle cop, who promptly booked him.
jules21 wrote:what i don't get is that this happens everywhere, at so many intersections. it's obviously a major cause of congestion. yet cops almost never do nothing about it and we're about to spend $8bn on a new tunnel to solve it. i reckon i could fix congestion for about $200,000 if i was made el presidente.
For the first little while, as percrime says you would probably be cash positive, from the fines issued for driving through an amber light and entering a blocked intersection.

Percrime, no need to have 2 cops at each intersection - four video cameras would do it. And guess what, they already have those linked back to the traffic control centres.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:53 am

Had to have a chuckle last night. As per usual in the christmas rush, everyone was in such a hurry to get anywhere, resulted in this short scene in the local shopping centre carpark. Had to laugh, there were a billion empty parks behind me but all these guys wanted to park outside the shop they were going in. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and let things clear.

Ahhh, ya gotta love christmas.... :|

stretts

Postby stretts » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 pm

I had a fantastic commute into town yesterday morning, cars of all kinds giving me space, waiting for a safe pass etc etc. Then on the way home in the afternoon they must have been impatient. Id taken the right hand lane in order to turn right at the coming intersection (had taken the lane with no cars behind me) then the lights turn red and this van creeps up behind me and tries to undertake me and get in front, about 20 m from the red light and banked up cars. Then he honked the horn, i assume to get me out of the way... im not sure where he would have gone if he got in front of me as the lights were still red. really strange behaviour.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:12 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2zh3t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glad to see canberra riders sticking up for themselves and getting this idiot off the street.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Lame town excuse on the reason for getting angry. "Didn't want photos taken of wife and child" nice attempt at trying to divert the reason. If you weren't such a mm it wouldn't of happened.

Also the second incident where he hit the rider and grabbed him is a bna member. Who happens to be 10ft tall (well not that tall but I wouldn't pick a fight with him and I am not small either).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:41 pm

"if he loses control he can do things that he very much regrets down the line"

Sounds like someone who needs to be removed from society for the greater good then.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:00 pm

ldrcycles wrote:"if he loses control he can do things that he very much regrets down the line"

Sounds like someone who needs to be removed from society for the greater good then.
yes a stint in a corrections facility to rehabilitate him, or to have a long hard think about how to keep his hands to himself.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:05 am

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A 38-YEAR-OLD woman has allegedly been caught drink driving with her three children in the car in Sydney's southwest.
The woman was arrested after officers at an Ingleburn RBT allegedly saw an approaching car do a u-turn and drive away at high speed at 6pm on Tuesday.
Police said the woman stopped the car a short distance away, and told officers she had drunk alcohol while driving with three passengers, including her six-week-old child.
A breath analysis allegedly returned a blood alcohol level of 0.081 per cent.
The woman is due to appear in Campbelltown Local Court on January 20.
Hand licence back, do not pass go. :twisted:

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:25 am

I had a great one this morning.

Turning right from Rathdowne St into La Trobe, I had a car make half a left turn and sit in the middle of the intersection when I got a right turn arrow.

It was a police car.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 am

Ross wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss
A 38-YEAR-OLD woman has allegedly been caught drink driving with her three children in the car in Sydney's southwest.
The woman was arrested after officers at an Ingleburn RBT allegedly saw an approaching car do a u-turn and drive away at high speed at 6pm on Tuesday.
Police said the woman stopped the car a short distance away, and told officers she had drunk alcohol while driving with three passengers, including her six-week-old child.
A breath analysis allegedly returned a blood alcohol level of 0.081 per cent.
The woman is due to appear in Campbelltown Local Court on January 20.
Hand licence back, do not pass go. :twisted:
My brother had a woman run into the back of him with 3 unrestrained kids in her backseat. She was off her face on some sort of drug and tried to do a runner, on foot, and across a busy intersection. She ended up tripping over and passing out while my brother checked on and took care of her kids until the cops arrived.

Some people are just wasting our oxygen.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:28 am

Some idiot nearly ran their car into my van when they pulled a U-turn at an intersection the other day. This is in SA where such an action is generally prohibited, plus I was proceeding through a green left-turn arrow while they must have been well into their red.

If only there were some sort of licensing or registration system for cars that would prevent these idiots driving like this.

Zaibs

Postby Zaibs » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:35 am

I don't know if this was posted yet. It is a good video that should be shared and seen by as many people as possible:

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Great Video

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17 pm

http://www.news.com.au/national/one-chi ... 6785641964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cry:

i'm not sure whether to include this as its possible that this driver was a MM, but also possible that they had a medical issue or heart attack or something just at the wrong time.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:00 pm

cp123 wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/one-chi ... 6785641964

i'm not sure whether to include this as its possible that this driver was a MM, but also possible that they had a medical issue or heart attack or something just at the wrong time.
Driver taken to hospital for "shock" only. But still don't know why it happened. In the aerial shot, the car seems to have been entering a driveway across the footpath - or has crashed off the road at that point by coincidence, or parked there after the accident.

Reminds me of something sad I saw outside a local school the other week. A young girl in school uniform on a bike, on the footpath at the edge of the school's driveway, trying to get across, with car after car exiting and entering the driveway not giving way and giving her the space and time to get across. If I see that again somebody's bonnet might end up wearing my bike.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:35 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
cp123 wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/one-chi ... 6785641964

Driver taken to hospital for "shock" only. But still don't know why it happened. In the aerial shot, the car seems to have been entering a driveway across the footpath - or has crashed off the road at that point by coincidence, or parked there after the accident.

Reminds me of something sad I saw outside a local school the other week. A young girl in school uniform on a bike, on the footpath at the edge of the school's driveway, trying to get across, with car after car exiting and entering the driveway not giving way and giving her the space and time to get across. If I see that again somebody's bonnet might end up wearing my bike.
its being hailed as a "freakish" accident by the SMH as it continues the group delusion about motor vehicle accidents being like freakish weather and not fairly reliable predictable statistical events. Another school child was killed outside a school last year, and there was a child killed walking to school earlier this year. There was a pedestrian killed on the footpath on Parramatta road, and another one I can't remember the location of.

I kinda feel sad about this, because I predicted the next school kid killed in NSW would be killed by a car, in the thread on SC about upper fort st (ie upper fort st has extensive motor traffic trying to do drop offs and yet the papers went to some trouble to paint SHB cyclists as the danger to children there, ignoring the carpark and roads full of drop off cars and stupid driving routinely shown there).

In the unfortunate tradition of papers in this country, if a bookie was to offer me short odds on a cycling beatup story in the Terrorgraph next week, I'd take it. A motor fatality in a school zone should be worth 2 cycling beatups, one of which will almost certainly attempt to paint cyclists as a considerable danger in school zones.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Just got back from some Xmas shopping in the smokebox...
Waaaay too many to go fully into it but the youngish lady in the childseated Rav4 doing a U turn from the RH straight lane across my bows wins the numpty prize for today :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011