What can I do?

petie

What can I do?

Postby petie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Just thought I'd ask the collective wisdom a simple question.

Setting up my tourer/bikepacking bike and have installed a Topeak Modula XL bottle cage. Unfortunately on my 26"XC hardtail, the seat-tube bottle cage mount won't fit a bottle and cage with the Modula XL in place. Looking for suggestions of what I could put there that ISN'T a bottle cage??

Thanks
Pete

Warin

Re: What can I do?

Postby Warin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:40 pm

If you move the cage/s around on the frame would they both then fit? Don't be restrained by the manufactures cage mounts .. if it works better in another position then clamp the cages there.. I use plastic hose clamps for this task.

I've found that mounting two cages and bottles on the down tube either side the original cage I get another two bottles onboard. They don't interfere with the pedals/shoes for me and that bike. YYMV

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Hip flask holder ?? Still would stick out too far perhaps :| .

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

surly56

Postby surly56 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:15 pm

G'Day Pete,
This may not work for you but I had the same issue with my bike(s) and moved the Modula further up the down tube using a short piece of 20 x 3 mm aluminium from the local hard ware store. The top end of the bottle cage is supported by being cable tied to a paddle clip from Whitworths or similar marine store.
(Hope the photo shows - this is my first post.)
Works great on my current 29" and worked just the same on my old Giant Yukon-based 26" tourer.
Cheers,
Ross.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:43 pm

petie wrote:Just thought I'd ask the collective wisdom a simple question.

Setting up my tourer/bikepacking bike and have installed a Topeak Modula XL bottle cage. Unfortunately on my 26"XC hardtail, the seat-tube bottle cage mount won't fit a bottle and cage with the Modula XL in place. Looking for suggestions of what I could put there that ISN'T a bottle cage??

Thanks
Pete
What about adding a bottle (hose clip method with inner tube frame wrap) on the underneath of the down tube?
My Ogre has the mounts but if it didnt I'd quickly use the above method.

As to what to put in the unworkable cage mount.......
Why you'll need that to mount your http://www.click-stand.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It has an optional mount which utilises either a cage mount or plastic hose clips.
Sound familiar? :wink: :)

Look under:
http://www.click-stand.com/Products___Ordering.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and scroll down to "Center Brackets"
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 pm

surly56 wrote: The top end of the bottle cage is supported by being cable tied to a paddle clip from Whitworths or similar marine store.
This is a very good idea. Those Topeak Modula big bottle cages are very prone to failure after quite a short life, due to the very long upper section being very poorly supported by the bidon mounts. A design flw IMHO, and made even more severe if you mount one underneath the down tube. The weight of the water in a 1.5L bottle will kill it. Really too lightweight for the task.

I much prefer my very rugged Blackburn Bomber 1.5L bottle cage, but sadly they are no longer made any more. Much more sturdy with a solid full length aluminium plate back and a number of holes to choose from for mounting.

If you find one on ebay, buy it.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Hence my seeking out the BBB XL Fuel Tanks for large bottles:
http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bbb ... -560-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No probs with my 1.5 liter Nalgenes

As suggested by Andrew and RonK

petie

Postby petie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies!!
I got the Modula XL despite the negative reviews because it was cheap and easy to source. If it doesn't survive, I'll look at the other options. I tried to get the BBB fueltank XL but couldn't easily get one in Aus?

I don't think another cage will fit on the seat tube, there just isn't enough room for the bottle. The down tube is oddly shaped aluminum, I don't think I could get a house clamp to hold even a normal cage well enough to stop a bottle swinging about.

The click stand is the most logical at the stage, but do I really need it..??

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

petie wrote:Thanks for all the replies!!
I got the Modula XL despite the negative reviews because it was cheap and easy to source. If it doesn't survive, I'll look at the other options. I tried to get the BBB fueltank XL but couldn't easily get one in Aus?

I don't think another cage will fit on the seat tube, there just isn't enough room for the bottle. The down tube is oddly shaped aluminum, I don't think I could get a house clamp to hold even a normal cage well enough to stop a bottle swinging about.

I had to go to a BBB LBS to get mine locally. So simply find a LBS that stocks BBB parts and tell them you need a BBB Fueltank XL and they should be able to order it in.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Get a Behold Flat Repair Kit Cage with Kargo Bike Tube Bag.

Makes room under the saddle for tent or rack bag...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

petie

Postby petie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:21 pm

RonK wrote:Get a Behold Flat Repair Kit Cage with Kargo Bike Tube Bag.

Makes room under the saddle for tent or rack bag...
Now that is a GOOD suggestion!! Except they're out of stock...: (

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:43 pm

petie wrote: I tried to get the BBB fueltank XL but couldn't easily get one in Aus?

Dont forget to take off the VAT when doing the sums of the price at the UK site I left a link to.
Both Andrew (Aushiker) and myself found it competitive enough to make the splurge.
Ahh, just spotted Charlie is out of stock. He was when I wanted my two but I emailed him asking him to let me know when he'd restocked. He got them in within a week, probably due to the new demand. I imagine they aren't a big selling item so I suggest you send him an email.

As for the click-stand, only you can make up your mind on the benefits of having your bike upright.
Theres pro's and cons for any idea but for me, I liked not risking my frame paint leaning it against something. Also seats can often get scratched leaning bikes against walls, trees and lamp-posts and I like to try to keep my Brooks looking presentable.
There is something to be said for a bike on its side at ground level isnt going to fall any further but I'm personally a bit fussy for that approach and worry about pannier racks getting bent and pannier contents getting damaged.
The pannier bags are easier to get on and off an upright bike which brings me back to bikes leaning on things seem to get scratched up.
Those are my reasons and you'll have to work out what works for you.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:56 pm

i used the same modula xl bottle cages for over 20.000 kms now.
the rubber holding the top of the bottle breaks quite quickly yes, i simply use a cable tie instead, no problems
as far as securing the bottom xl cage, all i do is simply tie a cable tie around the top part and the frame itself, no problems.
and to give you an idea how to attach more water cages see attached, i have 4 of 1,5l cages plus my fuel bottle for the stove, nice and steady setup :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:16 pm

polishbiker wrote:i used the same modula xl bottle cages for over 20.000 kms now.
the rubber holding the top of the bottle breaks quite quickly yes, i simply use a cable tie instead, no problems
as far as securing the bottom xl cage, all i do is simply tie a cable tie around the top part and the frame itself, no problems.
Yes, I did exactly the same fix to mine. I guess my problem with them is why should I need to do this, for an allegedly quality product?? In the end mine gave out well before 20,000kms when the welds between the mounting plate and the cage frame failed.

I was very glad to pick up a Blackburn Bomber cage at our club's auction night :D

There is one for sale now on ebay

When it comes to carrying large quantities of water anyway I do it much better than any bottle cage by carrying 6L (or 10L) in my MSR Dromedary bag, sitting neatly on the rack between the panniers under my rack sack.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:05 pm

petie wrote:I tried to get the BBB fueltank XL but couldn't easily get one in Aus?
I might have one. If you are interested I can do a search for it, otherwise as Rifif has mentioned, drop Charlie the Bike Monger an email. Easy to deal with. Quick postage.

Andrew

petie

Postby petie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:42 am

Aushiker wrote:
petie wrote:I tried to get the BBB fueltank XL but couldn't easily get one in Aus?
I might have one. If you are interested I can do a search for it, otherwise as Rifif has mentioned, drop Charlie the Bike Monger an email. Easy to deal with. Quick postage.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
If it's easily found that would be amazing! I will see how long this Modula lasts, but a solid backup would be awesome. Will send a PM.

Sent from my ZTE T81 using Tapatalk