Anyone in Melb got a Sachs Normandyt Freewheel tool?

Cognoscente

Anyone in Melb got a Sachs Normandyt Freewheel tool?

Postby Cognoscente » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi All,
Started restoring a Peugot Mont Blanc I've had hanging around. The Sachs Maillard freewheel I want to get off needs a freewheel removal tool I haven't got (nor has anyone apparently :shock: )

I believe what I need is called a Maillard Normandy removal tool. If you have one, chances are you know what I mean - large diameter splined tool.

If anyone has one in Melbourne and is willing for me to come over and remove my freewheel it would be muchly appreciated. Beer can be involved as required.

Cheers,

Glenn

Duck!
Expert

Re: Anyone in Melb got a Sachs Normandyt Freewheel tool?

Postby Duck! » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Can you post a pic of the offending freewheel please? May help jog some memories if we can see it. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 am

You can find these on e-bay occasionally. If you don't intend to re-use the freewheel (I wouldn't :wink: ) then just undo the outer race and remove the free wheel outer body (balls and bits will fly everywhere) leaving the inner body on the hub. Then clamp the wheel/hub into a vice clamping on the freewheel inner body and rotate the wheel hub to undo the freewheel remains from the hub.
Cheers
Richard

LG

Postby LG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:06 am

WyvernRH wrote:You can find these on e-bay occasionally. If you don't intend to re-use the freewheel (I wouldn't :wink: ) then just undo the outer race and remove the free wheel outer body (balls and bits will fly everywhere) leaving the inner body on the hub. Then clamp the wheel/hub into a vice clamping on the freewheel inner body and rotate the wheel hub to undo the freewheel remains from the hub.
Cheers
Richard
+1, pretty simple to remove with minimal tools, either a vice or a large set of stilsons are required. The outer race referred to above looks like a dust cover from the outside with 2 pin spanner holes in it, just insert a screwdriver tip into one of the holes and tap it loose in a clockwise direction. If you're really keen, it is often possible to remove a freewheel in this manner and re-build it after removal. Very fiddly though.
LG = Low Gear

Cognoscente

Postby Cognoscente » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Here's a picture of a the offending hub (not the actual one as it's off the hub :wink: )

I'd rather not destroy the hub. If I can't find a removal tool to borrow, I'll have a crack at making one. Just wanted to avoid a couple hours machining time if I could.

Glenn

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:18 pm

[quote="Cognoscente"I'd rather not destroy the hub. If I can't find a removal tool to borrow, I'll have a crack at making one. Just wanted to avoid a couple hours machining time if I could[/quote]

You don't damage the hub at all you just destroy the screw-on freewheel getting it off, leaving the hub intact. Unless the freewheel is in especially good nick, destroying the freewheel is no loss IMHO as these are way obsolete and the chance of of finding replacement sprockets is close to zero. A replacement Shimano 5/6 speed can be had for about $30.

Richard

Cognoscente

Postby Cognoscente » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Fair call Richard. Was hoping to keep it 'original' but.......I have a few spare shimano 6sp in good nick so that might be the plan.
Cheers,

Glenn

LG

Postby LG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 pm

If it's exactly the same as the freewheel in the pic, you can just make out the holes in the adjustable outer bearing race on the inside of the smallest cog. These are what you need to tap clockwise to remove the outer half of the freewheel. If you want to keep the bike original, make sure you try to catch all the seemingly hundreds of tiny bearing balls, as well as pawls and springs which will fall out when you remove the outer half of the freewheel. They can be re-assembled to reuse the freewheel. I've removed about a half dozen of these maillard freewheels using this technique and only buggered one of them, the rest I rebuilt. But as Richard says, it's much simpler just to put a shimano on the hub.
LG = Low Gear

Cognoscente

Postby Cognoscente » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Cheers LG,
I'm happy to give it a crack. If I bugger it up there's always the replacement route.
Cheers,

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Here you go:

Ebay Auction for BR CT-3

To the mods: Why doesn't your software parse hyperlinks automatically? Every other forum does.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 pm

I have a Park Tool FR-1 tool - not sure if it is the right one?

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:07 am

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwinn-Norma ... 1e8395981e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cognoscente

Postby Cognoscente » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. Prefer not to splash US$50+ on a one off job if I can avoid it. Can't see myself always reaching for this in the toolbox in the future......