Best Camp Stove for Aus/NZ Bike Touring

Alex in BC

Postby Alex in BC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:09 am

Hi all,

We are headed to NZ in January and then on to Australia a month or two later for a bike tour for a few months. It's too cold up here in Canada this time of year.

Pardon the ignorance here, but are there ever any issues in finding screw-top isobutane canisters down under? We have an MSR Pocket Rocket that takes the screw-top canisters http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stove ... g/category" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and an MSR International Whisperlite http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stove ... 12/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that takes liquid gas. Are there ever any issues with finding white gas? (I prefer not to use auto fuel, but I know it's doable.)

I know that the debate about which stove, brand, model etc can go on forever, but I'm mostly just curious about sourcing the fuel? Any thoughts/comments/criticism/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Alex

Warin

Re: Best Camp Stove for Aus/NZ Bike Touring

Postby Warin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Alex in BC wrote: We have an MSR Pocket Rocket that takes the screw-top canisters
You can buy those in the major cities at camping stores (any place with an international airport). You usually wont find them in places without camping stores - places out in the countryside. Don't try to bring the gas canisters with you on any plane (including NZ to Australia) !

If you decide to bring a fuel stove you'll need to remove all the fuel (including the smell), wrap it some absorbent material, then a sealed plastic bag, and then get written permission from the air line (well before you fly, I'd try before you buy tickets to get the written permission)... ! I found it best, after two weeks of trying to remove the smell :oops:, to leave a little fuel and then let the stove burn it off, that got rid of the fuel in the little pipes that would not fully drain. Yes you'll need to do it for each flight.

These are IATA regulations.. as in international, not american. It used to be that you did not need permission from the airline (just the draining -no smell, absorbent material and sealed in a plastic bag), that has changed. Too many people breaking the rules?
Last edited by Warin on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:32 pm

No problems. We are actually quite civilised Down Under these days, and EnZed has progressed a bit as well. :lol:

In Oz, white gas is commonly known as Shellite, and is available from hardware stores and some supermarkets. Don't confuse it with mineral turpentine (turps colloquially) though.

As mentioned, there are strict rules about carrying fuel stove on aircraft. I suggest you check with the airlines you're planning to use. Personally I don't think it is worth the bother, just bring the Pocket Rocket.

I've done a couple of tours of the South Island. You may find useful information in my journals - you'll find links on my blog.

There are a plethora of outdoor shops in EnZed so you shouldn't have any problems getting what you need. That will include a strong insect repellant containing DEET for the infamous EnZed sandfly.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:49 am

I got my optimus multifuel stove confiscated by an airline.
I agree with RonK that you should not risk ownership of your multi-fuel due to over caution of an airline.
Regarding NZ
Bring the MSR canister stove (pocket rocket) or alternatively pack your multi-fuel without the fuel bottle.
Either post your one (washed with no fuel odour) ahead of you or buy a new bottle in NZ to tour with.
Macpac stores stock MSR products last I checked so perhaps contact them for a price?
http://www.macpac.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another option is their local auction site http://www.trademe.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where you will find a choice of new and secondhand stoves available.
Meths (alcohol) and kerosene, last I was there (approx 3 years ago now), available at all supermarkets.
Shellite and White Spirits or Coleman fuel (Naptha) harder to source and much dearer cost-wise.
Many towns have a camping shop so not impossible to get.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:33 pm

I thought this little stove may be of interest to our travelling cyclists. Simple to make and compact.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=56f_1385557286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

FKS

Postby FKS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Easiest stove for NZ is a Trangia, fuel is available in just about any town. Most motor camps in NZ have cooking facilities as part of the camp kitchens. In a two month tour of the South Island I only used about a half a litre of meths ( mainly for a lunch time cuppa)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm

outnabike wrote:I thought this little stove may be of interest to our travelling cyclists. Simple to make and compact.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=56f_1385557286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gawd, not another one. :roll:

There are currently 562,744 video clips on a Youtube search for can stoves. I'm not joking.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:19 am

rifraf wrote:Either post your one (washed with no fuel odour) ahead of you or buy a new bottle in NZ to tour with.
The postal regs are about the same as the airline - no fuel, or the smell of it in their parcels...

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Alex. My friend from Ontario brought a little canister stove with her for our Nullarbor ride this year. No problems with the plane either direction, and she had five flights via Europe to get here. And we got the canisters here naturally. Have a great trip.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm

RonK wrote:
outnabike wrote:I thought this little stove may be of interest to our travelling cyclists. Simple to make and compact.

There are currently 562,744 video clips on a Youtube search for can stoves. I'm not joking.
Thanks RonK,
I should have known that though I thought it interesting, no one else would appreciate the effort.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 pm

outnabike wrote:
RonK wrote:

Thanks RonK,
I should have known that though I thought it interesting, no one else would appreciate the effort.
Sorry Outonabike, but these things are not news to regulars on the touring forum, and there have been other versions posted on the stoves and cookware thread.

It has developed into a pissing contest, with every man and his dog claiming they have produced the best design, hence the huge number of videos in Youtube.

But despite their apparent simplicity I don't know anyone who actually uses one.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:18 am

That’s cool Ron,
It was coincidental that my son sent me that link just when I saw this post. I used to take him deer hunting as a boy and we just used to take what is today the equivalent of a fire starter in a tin. All from the army disposals, just a block of paraffin soaked in kero.The emergency tin had some candle rubber band and a lighter in it.
The pan was 4 inches round and the billy 3inches round and 4inches high. (An imperial billy). If you couldn’t carry it, didn’t come in the sack. Down bags were the go, your boots were your pillows and off we went for two or three day hunting trips.

I can't imagine the comments if I had posted that as an answer, in these days of comfort at all costs. :)

So when I saw this little thing it would have been a step up from a piece of bent mesh over a small fire. I lost count how many .375 rounds I pulled the bullet from to start a fire in the rain.
We used to think the trianga gear was good, but it was still to much and rattled, maybe ok for some though.

So to me it was about as lightweight as it could get, I had no idea there were a million such things going around. :)
You seem pretty independent as well and I love the whispering Wheels write up.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 am

outnabike wrote:That’s cool Ron,
We used to think the trianga gear was good, but it was still to much and rattled, maybe ok for some though.
Ya don't have it packed right, man.

Mine has no rattles - it has all my cooking bits inside the kettle (in a zip-lock bag) with some synthetic cloths between the pans for packing. The Trangia pasta strainer/cutting board also helps keep everything well-packed and quiet.

Why Trangia is best
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:21 am

outnabike wrote:That’s cool Ron,
It was coincidental that my son sent me that link just when I saw this post. I used to take him deer hunting as a boy and we just used to take what is today the equivalent of a fire starter in a tin. All from the army disposals, just a block of paraffin soaked in kero.The emergency tin had some candle rubber band and a lighter in it.
The pan was 4 inches round and the billy 3inches round and 4inches high. (An imperial billy). If you couldn’t carry it, didn’t come in the sack. Down bags were the go, your boots were your pillows and off we went for two or three day hunting trips.
Hehe - knocking around the Top End during the wet season when it was impossible to light a camp fire, we made metho stoves from my father's empty Log Cabin tobacco tins, and also used a billy for a pot. In the NT, metho was dyed purple to discourage the indigenous peoples from drinking it (it didn't), usually mixed with Sunshine Milk powder.

Then my brother joined the army and we had a ready supply of rations packs with esbit stoves.

As for Trangias, regardless of their positive attributes, I've always been put off by their sheer bulk. And since there are plenty of compact choices (like the ultralight and compact Clickstand), when it comes to metho stoves a Trangia won't be joining my collection.

Good to know you found my blog interesting, but it's long overdue for some new posts. Maybe I will get around to posting a few gear reviews over the Xmas break.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Alex in BC,
if your a stove fan, doing an overseas tour, what better reason to buy a new stove.

Just thought I'd add to the mix, I'm happy with my relatively recent purchase of a similar product to your multi-fuel Whisperlite.

I bought a Primus Omnilite Ti.
It burns all the fuels your Whisperlite burns with the addition of accepting gas cannisters (with a quick change of the included jet)

To sell "your" idea of the new purchase, tell your other half its lighter than your current MSR product.
Your really thinking of them as they'll be carrying the kitchen gear......... :idea:

Just something to consider :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.