Moron Motorists #3

Baalzamon

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Just got back from having lunch. Was at the traffic lights Welshpool Rd & Leach Hwy intersection. I was 1st in queue. Turning lane that was heading into Leach Hwy towards the airport failed to notice it was a green turning light until just before it started to change I think so the lead car stopped. Just as we got a green light a car that was in the non turning lane turned right around the lead car in the turning lane, running the red turning arrow. I got a very nice suprise as it zipped infront of me....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm hanging up the wheels for the year...

Lights turn green. I look both ways and go. Get halfway across the intersection and hear squeeling. Turn and notice a car closing in on me at very fast speed. I pedal and just avoid the car. I turn around and watch the car behind me get plowed into. I turn around and take charge of the accident scene, checking the wreckage for dangers, treating the driver with shock and ensuring the dangerous driver hangs around until the ambos and cops turn up. Witnesses say they thought I was a goner. I was shaking for about 4 hrs afterward. Got to force myself back on the bike...
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Good on you for going back SB to help out, I trust you ripped the red light runner a new one? You sound like one very, very lucky rider by the sounds of it, go buy yourself a scratchie, you are bound to get a winner.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Strawburger wrote:I'm hanging up the wheels for the year...

Lights turn green. I look both ways and go. Get halfway across the intersection and hear squeeling. Turn and notice a car closing in on me at very fast speed. I pedal and just avoid the car. I turn around and watch the car behind me get plowed into. I turn around and take charge of the accident scene, checking the wreckage for dangers, treating the driver with shock and ensuring the dangerous driver hangs around until the ambos and cops turn up. Witnesses say they thought I was a goner. I was shaking for about 4 hrs afterward. Got to force myself back on the bike...
I also look both ways before going at a green, and a cross traffic car going behind me hasn't happened in 20 years of riding, ie if you are checking intersections before entering regardless of signals, you've probably had your one.

Glad you are ok.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes, very lucky. 2 years ago a driver went through a red light camera with me in a similar position to today. That was at a slower speed. From then on I look both ways. Thought that was going to be my only one. I'm running out of lives... :(
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Whitehill road again *groans*

No way on Gods green earth I was going to 'claim the lane' on this one Padrone!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Strawburger wrote:I'm hanging up the wheels for the year...

glad you're OK. that was certainly a close one and a reminder to never take traffic signals for granted - we all do though at least every now and then, let's be honest.

a request - please ensure you are available to act as a witness. even when it seems obvious what happened and who was at fault and 100 people saw it, once they all disperse the culprit is left to make up their own story. i've seen it happen!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to add that was done. Once I got the traffic under control and the cops turned up to survey the scene I went and collected names and numbers, then gave my statement.

I've learned that lesson the hard way!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Glad to hear you had the sense to move along a bit. That would have been nasty.

While I'm here,

Not from Whitehill Rd!

ikm

Postby ikm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 pm

That truck would have wiped you out. Lucky you jumped off the road, could have been a nasty ending!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Whitehill road again *groans*

No way on Gods green earth I was going to 'claim the lane' on this one Padrone!

I must say that I don't have a huge problem with what that truck was doing. He was dealing with the traffic situation and had already slowed a lot by the time he reached you. As you had pulled off the tarmac he had the signal that he was clear to go by, and did so pretty reasonably as far as I can tell. You were riding almost on the white line to start with, if you had have beeen wider he would no doubt have slowed down more, and earlier, to time his pass for after the oncoming truck had gone by.

I've said it before - in my experience on country roads (and even in the suburbs) drivers of large trucks like this are generally the most considerate drivers on the roads.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:17 am

il padrone wrote:I must say that I don't have a huge problem with what that truck was doing. He was dealing with the traffic situation and had already slowed a lot by the time he reached you. As you had pulled off the tarmac he had the signal that he was clear to go by, and did so pretty reasonably as far as I can tell. You were riding almost on the white line to start with, if you had have beeen wider he would no doubt have slowed down more, and earlier, to time his pass for after the oncoming truck had gone by.
I am inclined to go with Pete's take here as well. You left the road hence there was really no need for the driver to move over.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 am

Personally I am very reluctant to pull off the tarmac onto a loose shoulder in this sort of situation, especially on a skinny-tyred road bike. I'd much rather deal with a close pass than hit some soft stuff and fall under the wheels of a passing vehicle. My safety comes first.
Mandatory helmet law?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:23 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Glad to hear you had the sense to move along a bit. That would have been nasty.

While I'm here,

Not from Whitehill Rd!

Crikeys mate that's classic P-Plater style driving. :?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Strawburger wrote:Yes, very lucky. 2 years ago a driver went through a red light camera with me in a similar position to today. That was at a slower speed. From then on I look both ways. Thought that was going to be my only one. I'm running out of lives... :(
I was in a similar position as first vehicle at traffic lights. Lights go green but there was a red arrow so I slowed (I was turning right) but when it went green I noticed a car coming from my right which wasn't slowing so I stopped and that car went straight through the red light. The driver was looking for a parking spot just past the intersection and clearly wasn't focussed on the red light. :roll:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 pm

I've gotten into the habit of before taking off doing a look left n right to make sure all cars have stopped/are stopping before taking off. Only takes 1-2 seconds and your safe, unless some moron pulls what I described yesterday turning across the turning lane sheesh, no way to have seen/expect that
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm

I wasn't very happy by this overtake by a BCC bus on a blind corner...

This is with my new mobius. Pretty happy with it, youtube does not do the video quality justice, it is awesome. Trying a new mounting method here, I'm calling it Crotch Cam. Actually its on my backpack straps around my lower tummy....

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 pm

And another one from Crotch Cam. No idea why the quality is so crap on youtube, the file I uploaded is much better than that...

This ute leaves me a bit less than a meter but is angling back in while overtaking - following trailer was a bit unexpected for me and wasn't that far off clipping my handlebars.

Sorry for the language...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:49 pm

The bus one is worth reporting. That was pretty bad. Remind them of the upcoming 8 demerit point penalty and tht next time you'll be sending it direct to the police.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 pm

elantra wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:Glad to hear you had the sense to move along a bit. That would have been nasty.

While I'm here,

Not from Whitehill Rd!

Crikeys mate that's classic P-Plater style driving. :?
I have to say I'm almost more shocked by the halfway decent end of bike lane road marking.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:11 am

InTheWoods wrote:I wasn't very happy by this overtake by a BCC bus on a blind corner...

Don't go showing that one to the police now. Your right turn with not a sign of any indication is not going to get you any cred :oops:
Mandatory helmet law?

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:01 am

Had my 1st notable moron on the last commute of my 1st year commuting today. I was on the suburban road north of Perth, between Greenwood and Whitfords. An Isuzu trooper pulled up at the give way from a side street to my right, about 30m ahead. He seemed to have a good look, but pulled out to turn right, therefore in my direction. At this point I am nearly alongside, but not too concerned as he has a good view forward and seems to be giving me plenty of space. Except he is only leaving space because he is turning left into his driveway, which is diagonally across from the side street, and just turns towards me. He notices me eventually as I am on the brakes and up the kerb and stops with one wheel up the kerb resting against my front wheel. I squeezed in front and back on the the road and shot my best Say What look, with shoulders and upturned hands. To his credit he looked genuinely shocked, and offered apologies, but he should have seen me. I had right of way, it was daylight, I had a static front light on the bike and a flasher on my helmet and he had stopped and looked in my direction. I think that must be my first bona fide smidsy. Maybe time for a camera?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:47 am

il padrone wrote:Don't go showing that one to the police now. Your right turn with not a sign of any indication is not going to get you any cred :oops:
Seriously? How many cyclists take a hand off the bars to signal right, at about 40kmh, when they have shoulder checked and there are no vehicles behind them, and no oncoming vehicles... Better to keep both hands on the bars if there is nobody there to actually signal to.

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:21 am

InTheWoods wrote:I wasn't very happy by this overtake by a BCC bus on a blind corner...
Very poor driving by the bus driver. Typical of many drivers of long vehicles though. He probably thought you were doing 10 km/h and he was likely convinced that he gave you loads of room.

Worth sending this to BCC and requesting that they educate this bus driver. When in charge of a long vehicle, you need to be far more careful about overtaking and wait until you are well past the cyclist before pulling back in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:50 am

InTheWoods wrote:Seriously? How many cyclists take a hand off the bars to signal right, at about 40kmh, when they have shoulder checked and there are no vehicles behind them, and no oncoming vehicles... Better to keep both hands on the bars if there is nobody there to actually signal to.
Well I would - legal requirement and all that. We castigate people who run a red light, how is failing to indicate any different? :?

As for maintaining control, if someone can't do that while indicating I'd have to question the safety of their riding. I must admit I do not signal through the turn (steering and brakes for safe control) but leading up to a turn, yes the arm goes out. A headcheck is something I only occasionally do, riding with a mirror for many years means that I can most often scan behind and judge traffic without needing to turn around.
Mandatory helmet law?