The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

tekapo

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tekapo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The rider that decided he could pass three wide heading north with me and another rider just before the Narrows. Another rider was approaching us from the front and the offending rider only just made it, giving the rider coming towards us a bit of a shock.
Had the same thing yesterday along the boardwalk on the Yarra trail. Quite a beautiful morning, enjoying the ride at about 20k. Saw a group of about 10, single file, coming towards me on the other side. As I was about to pass the lead on the other side, someone decided it was the perfect time to over take me. It was near the ramp, not that narrow but not wide either. I guess riding behind me for an extra 30 seconds was too much to bear

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:06 am

Birkdale Road Wellington Point 6:55 am Sunday morning - the boy racer didn't miss a beat straight through a red light and the only that stopped the moron going through the next one was that the traffic a little too close coming through the green at the next set of lights. Then the same moron boy racer would probably be on here the next day complaining about the moron motorists that showed him the contempt he deserves. If you are going to ride like that please stay out of the Redlands...
OI onya bike!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:35 pm

When this happened I thought, "crikey that was close" and the rider was an idiot both in terms of his "Strava segment hunting" and just the way this sort of riding adds fuel to the way we are perceived, rightly or wrongly. Watching the video I see that the rider had more control over the situation that I initially thought, however, I still consider it stupid behaviour. The guy needs to toughen up and to learn to sprint from when the lights go green; one day he may not be so smart and mis-judge it.

Andrew

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:

When this happened I thought, "crikey that was close" and the rider was an idiot both in terms of his "Strava segment hunting" and just the way this sort of riding adds fuel to the way we are perceived, rightly or wrongly. Watching the video I see that the rider had more control over the situation that I initially thought, however, I still consider it stupid behaviour. The guy needs to toughen up and to learn to sprint from when the lights go green; one day he may not be so smart and mis-judge it.

Andrew
Temporary Australian.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:52 pm

While it is great to see recreational cyclists out and about please don't leave your brian behind. I was lucky as I had glimpsed these riders on my approach and backed off more than I needed to do for this corner and hence missed being on the bend at the wrong time.

A little smart riding (and obeying of the law - it is an offence to ride two abreast on shared paths in WA) wouldn't go astray and make it pleasant for all concerned.

Andrew

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Me: Commuted in with the bottom compartment of my backpack wide open. Somehow my spare tube, pump, and shoe covers didn't fall out :shock: Didn't have to bring my lunch today, and that's where lunch normally goes so I forgot to close it up.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Me: Commuted in with the bottom compartment of my backpack wide open. Somehow my spare tube, pump, and shoe covers didn't fall out :shock: Didn't have to bring my lunch today, and that's where lunch normally goes so I forgot to close it up.
Did this last week- rode with other commuters all the way to work with several wheelsuckers- not one mentioned my backpack lid flapping in the wind...

Similar feeling to riding around with you knicks inside out (did this once also- thankfully in winter with thermals over the top)

Come to think of it, if it is a dumb cycling activity then I have done it

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:10 am

Skateboarder riding the roads in the Adelaide CBD peak traffic this morning. I would have been impressed except that he was cutting in front of busses and causing them to hit their brakes.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:40 am

MisuVir wrote:Skateboarder riding the roads in the Adelaide CBD peak traffic this morning. I would have been impressed except that he was cutting in front of busses and causing them to hit their brakes.
Two skateboarders were doing that on Friday last week - right down the middle of the new one lane only sections of Elizabeth St, Melbourne CBD just before Bourke St. The cars behind weren't suitably impressed.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:While it is great to see recreational cyclists out and about please don't leave your brian behind.
Poor Brian, he seems to be getting left behind quite often these days. :cry:

Unfortunately I don't even have a Brian....

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Brian is back!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/enterta ... 2zhdc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 pm

MisuVir wrote:Skateboarder riding the roads in the Adelaide CBD peak traffic this morning. I would have been impressed except that he was cutting in front of busses and causing them to hit their brakes.
Not skateboards, but just a guy walking across the front of a truck. The light has been green for a good 30 seconds, I just crossed the intersection and then to the side of the road to lock the bike up. The truck was just beginning to move as the traffic cleared allowing it to turn right. Then I started to hear the truck driver screaming at the guy, while the guy just nonchalantly kept on walking and cross the street. The drive probably screamed a good minute with the pedestrian "sorry sorry sorry" as he walks off.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:18 pm

human909 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:While it is great to see recreational cyclists out and about please don't leave your brian behind.
Poor Brian, he seems to be getting left behind quite often these days. :cry:

Unfortunately I don't even have a Brian....
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no-lo ... z2nmD2tS2b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A female tourist was so engrossed in Facebook she walked off St Kilda pier :roll:
A young female tourist was so engrossed in Facebook on her mobile phone that she walked off St Kilda pier and almost drowned, police say.

She fell off the pier about 11.30pm on Monday, said police, but fortunately a witness called police.

Senior Constable Dean Kelly of the water police squad said he and fellow officers made the four-minute trip from Williamstown to St Kilda when alerted to the near-drowning.

Their high-speed boat arrived to find the woman floating about 30 metres from the pier.

‘‘She wasn’t splashing around too much. She wasn’t in a panic even though she was in the water for probably 20 minutes,’’ he said.

The woman had a backpack on, which may have helped her to stay buoyant, he said.

‘‘She wasn’t a good swimmer but she was floating OK ... on her back,’’ he said.

After police pulled her on to their craft, the woman explained what had happened.

‘‘She had a mobile phone in one of her hands and when we brought her onboard one of the first things she did was apologise and say sorry,’’ Senior Constable Kelly said.

‘‘She explained that she was on her phone checking her Facebook page when she fell into the water.’’

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Had one this morning on a section where I had to go on the footpath, thanks to stupid road design. Older woman walking her dog, the dog had stopped to relieve itself on the side of the path, she stopped next to it, staring off into space, blocking the whole path. Completely oblivious to the world so I just rode around on the grass (not ideal on a road bike but doable) and it was only after I had gone around her she realised anyone else existed.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Or how about the woman who sternly told me off on not ringing the bell. Despite that her friend (who I assumed) heard my bell (3 rings at that) and have shifted to the left and off the path. "Oh, I was talking" was her response. Oh, btw as her friend was going off the path on the left, she was actually drifting towards the middle and onto the right, despite that there was another bike coming on the opposite direction. Apparently she's blind as well.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm

to the idiot riding 2 abreast on the MYT who responded to my approaching him by riding a bit closer to his mate, allowing room for the 3 of us to pass with only mm to spare - you sir are truly an idiot.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:19 pm

I'll think I'll be different today and nominate myself...... :roll:

Nearly got doored today, silly me though cruising down the bike lane at a slowish speed would be a nice, relaxing way to go home. Not a serious near miss, I could've stopped if I had really needed to. But the dang woman took another 20 seconds after I dodged around her to actually get out of the vehicle so no idea why she was so rushed to fling open the door.

Anyway, after reviewing the footage, I have decided that I was still too close to parked cars for that speed. Had she have done that 4 seconds later, I would've been splat.

Stay safe guys!

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no-lo ... z2nmD2tS2b

A female tourist was so engrossed in Facebook she walked off St Kilda pier :roll:
and how does one manage to do that???? :shock: You've really got to worry about how many others there are wandering around not paying attention to anything other than facebook, cause where there's one.......

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Happens quite alot (distractions via mobile). One stupid woman walked into a fountain inside a shopping centre and tried to sue - theres a video on youtube :P A couple people in qld were killed last year because of being hit by a vehicle after they walked onto the road while using their phone. One of them involved a bus IIRC.

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:41 am

After a week living large on the Gold Coast the family and I arrived at my parents house last night for the Christmas break. I thought I'd try and recover some lost fitness so took the bike out for a blat along the old canal at Greystanes. On a nice open stretch I was having a fair old go when I saw a couple walking towards me. We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance. Leaving only adequate room to stop, I yelled sternly "excuse me" and hit the picks locking up the rear wheel for maximum effect. She slowly raised her gaize and stepped slightly to her right to allow me to pass between her and her partner with mere mm's to spare.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 am

AKO wrote: We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance.
i've noticed this a bit of a 'thing' now. when you want to take up the whole footpath and someone is walking (or riding) towards you, just pretend you didn't see them and for added effect, be engrossed in conversation to emphasise the illusion.

or you could just politely move over a bit. but that's too hard for some people.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 am

jules21 wrote:
AKO wrote: We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance.
i've noticed this a bit of a 'thing' now. when you want to take up the whole footpath and someone is walking (or riding) towards you, just pretend you didn't see them and for added effect, be engrossed in conversation to emphasise the illusion.

or you could just politely move over a bit. but that's too hard for some people.
Could almost be the perfect definition for "IGNORANCE" Jules, and quite common with many people.
(happens on roads, in supermarkets, almost anywhere... some people feel it's their right/privilege :( )
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am

brentono wrote:Could almost be the perfect definition for "IGNORANCE" Jules, and quite common with many people.
(happens on roads, in supermarkets, almost anywhere... some people feel it's their right/privilege :( )
i'd be lying to say i'd never fallen into that trap. but for some reason on my bike (and elsewhere) i usually make an effort to be polite. it doesn't hurt.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:10 am

You have to be prepared for any thing with this NZ cyclist.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2860 ... tgun-pants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers