Rebuilding my Steelie - Carbon forks or Cro-Mo

uMP2k

Rebuilding my Steelie - Carbon forks or Cro-Mo

Postby uMP2k » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 pm

I am nearly ready to put the bits back on my Good old Steel Repco Nishiki Tri-A, but the one thing left to souce is a new set of forks. The ones that were on there are as heavy as hell (I swear they weigh nearly as much as the rest of the frame!) and I was intending to replace them with a nice set of Carbon forks (as this is not so much a restoration as a re-interpretation!) but I just cannot seem to get my hands on any carbon forks with a 1inch threaded steerer.

Am I beating my head against a brick wall here? I really want to stay with a threaded steerer so I can use the lovely gooseneck stem I have. On top of that I had really set my heart on carbon not just for the weight saving but also for the look of a nice beefy black front fork to contrast with the rest of the frame which is in yellow.

Now if I cannot get a Carbon one then I guess it is back to Steel but which Steel, that is the question.

Any comments/opinions? Or maybe somebody just happens to have the set of forks of my dreams (carbon or steel) that they are not using and willing to sell to a good home...

Stephen

silverlight

carbon forks

Postby silverlight » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi carbon 1inch forks are available as i have made enquiry about them months ago,
Im after a carbon 1inch fork for my colnago, the bike shop said i can get an aftermarket one new for about $500-700 (im not sure if this is what they go for or he was just ripping me off), Im not sure where they said they were going to get it as it was being brought in from interstate but i didnt want to spend that kind of money at the time but i have seen a few go on ebay at times much cheaper, I would ring around a few bike shops im sure they can get their hands on one

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Pop into Ideal Cycles on South Street and have a chat with the guy there, said he could source them no probs, I *think* prices were under $200.

Edit - They might not be threaded, but worth a call/visit to them anyway.

uMP2k

Re: carbon forks

Postby uMP2k » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 pm

silverlight wrote:... an aftermarket one new for about $500-700...
Yikes!!!

Now that is definitely out of the price range I am looking at :shock:

If it was a usual 1 1/8 inch I was after I could easily pick one up on ebay for less than $100, but a 1 inch - now that is another story.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 am

It's worth keeping an eye on eBay, but it might be a long wait.
A couple of companies make 1" threadless forks. I know that Columbus make a 1" version of a couple of their forks, as do Reynolds. I'm pretty sure that Kinesis make threaded versions (I've got a rather bashed around one).
It might be worth contacting a bike builder, rather than just your lbs - give Paul Hillbrick a try. I know that he's on the other side of the country to you, but he might be able to help.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Just did a quick ebay search (Oz and US) and only one likely candidate (depending on if they will ship).

It seems that I could probably get a new one from a couple of manufacturers but the price is just too much for what I have in mind. Really was hoping to get away with spending less than $100.

It is mainly the weight issue that is stopping me from going with the original forks. I know you might not think that the extra weight in my old forks would be worth the hassle but they really are VERY heavy when compared to the carbon forks on my other roadie and I am guessing I could save about half a kilo or more.

Sounds crazy when I put the figures down like that and I know it is probably more pyschological than anything, but damn I want some lighter forks!

***EDIT***

Okay now I am thinking: what about classic chromed steel - bugger the weight :twisted:

Just seen these on ebay. I wonder how they would go with yellow...

Am I confused or what? Just thinking out load in this thread!

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:29 pm

check the weight with the seller. they might not be any lighter than your original forks.
also, make sure the steerer is as long as your existing forks.
i bought a very nice pair of emilio bozzi forks, but they only fit my 53cm repco. i really hoped they would fit my lemond, but no.

personally, i would wait for the right ones, but in the meantime, paint up the ones you have and get that machine back into service!

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:55 pm

munga wrote:check the weight with the seller. they might not be any lighter than your original forks.
also, make sure the steerer is as long as your existing forks.
i bought a very nice pair of emilio bozzi forks, but they only fit my 53cm repco. i really hoped they would fit my lemond, but no.

personally, i would wait for the right ones, but in the meantime, paint up the ones you have and get that machine back into service!

All good points.

I think I will probably do just as you suggest wack the original forks back on and keep an eye out for the Carbon or classic Steel forks that I want.

Stephen

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Weigh your original forks on some kitchen scales or at your local PO. I can't imagine they'd be much more than 850g. If they are much more than that, I might have some 1" steel forks around the 800-850g mark that might suit your needs, in either older lugged crown style, or newer unicrown style

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 pm

kukamunga wrote:Weigh your original forks on some kitchen scales or at your local PO. I can't imagine they'd be much more than 850g. If they are much more than that, I might have some 1" steel forks around the 800-850g mark that might suit your needs, in either older lugged crown style, or newer unicrown style
Yet another good idea, which I will follow!

Depending on the weight I might be in touch about what you have on hand.

Thanks.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Okay - now it looks like I might have found some CF forks with a 1inch threadless steerer that might just about do me.

Of course I did want threaded, but I think that is pretty pie in the sky!

Although, maybe I could cut a thread into the (alloy) steerer.....? Hmmmm

Stephen

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:11 pm

uMP2k wrote:Although, maybe I could cut a thread into the (alloy) steerer.....? Hmmmm

Stephen
Devil's advocate here ... how long do ya' think it would last before it got chewed out and fell out ...? My experience with a fine thread in alloy .... Although ... if you used locktight ...... just that you'd have to heat the bugger to get it off ...

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Mikka wrote:
uMP2k wrote:Although, maybe I could cut a thread into the (alloy) steerer.....? Hmmmm

Stephen
Devil's advocate here ... how long do ya' think it would last before it got chewed out and fell out ...? My experience with a fine thread in alloy .... Although ... if you used locktight ...... just that you'd have to heat the bugger to get it off ...
don't worry I would not really cut a thread in it!

If I go down this route then I will have to find a nice chorus threadless headset and a reasonably classic looking threadless stem.

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:26 pm

uMP2k wrote: don't worry I would not really cut a thread in it!
Why not - there are plenty of Al headset top caps around (yeah OK - forged...). A good technician should be able to cut a decent thread for you (or am I way off the mark here?).
uMP2k wrote: If I go down this route then I will have to find ... a reasonably classic looking threadless stem.
For that, I suggest a lugged (Nitto) Rivendell stem, though that would really blow the budget!

(cant be bothered hyperlinking... this works)

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/ha ... uct=16-148

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 am

Blah! That Rivendell stem looks hideous! Might I suggest something a bit less garish? (you'll need a shim though)

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:59 am

I just put a stem adaptor and clamp-on stem on my old steel roadie... :? (my old profile stem had stretched in the bar clamp, and it is most disconcerting to have your bars roll under you when you hit a bump in the road)

It does nothing for the looks, functional, yes, but it looks out of place. Nothing suits an old steel frame as much as an old stem.
Andrew

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:09 am

uMP2k wrote:Okay - now it looks like I might have found some CF forks with a 1inch threadless steerer that might just about do me.

Of course I did want threaded, but I think that is pretty pie in the sky!

Although, maybe I could cut a thread into the (alloy) steerer.....? Hmmmm

Stephen
You do realise the alloy steerer will be much thicker walled than a steel one? You could safely cut a thread in it, but finding a 5/8" / 15.9mm quill stem might be harder than finding hen's teeth :roll:

If you can find an 1 1/8" threadless stem with an internal pinch-bolt steerer clamp (and the right size bar clamp, of course), it would look a lot neater and 'retro' than your majority of external clamp bolt ones (you'll still need a 1 1/8" - 1" shim).

I don't think I've ever seen a 1" threadless stem, but I'm sure that they probably exist..... somewhere. That'd possibly be your neatest solution

EDIT: Actually, Syncros might've made a 1" threadless stem back when.....

BTW what bar clamp size you running? 25.0mm, 25.4mm, 25.8/26.0mm,
or 31.8mm? Something you need to take into consideration..... :?
Last edited by kukamunga on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:13 am

Lark2004 wrote: It does nothing for the looks, functional, yes, but it looks out of place. Nothing suits an old steel frame as much as an old stem.
I agree - that is why I am really after a threaded steerer.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 am

uMP2k wrote:
Lark2004 wrote: It does nothing for the looks, functional, yes, but it looks out of place. Nothing suits an old steel frame as much as an old stem.
I agree - that is why I am really after a threaded steerer.
I think you're stuck with steel, then. Be sure it takes a common 22.2mm (7/8") quill, and is not 22.0mm specific (22.2mm won't fit in)! :shock:

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Great range of forks here

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:43 am

The Winwood 1" threaded fork looks just the thing!
Thanks for finding the website.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:55 pm

kukamunga wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a 1" threadless stem, but I'm sure that they probably exist..... somewhere. That'd possibly be your neatest solution....
I don't know what I was on when I wrote this. Just a month or two ago, I purchased a 1" threadless stem from Dean Woods (along with one of the quill stems and some cheap 1" threadless headsets). It's a rather hideous looking 'TranzX' jobbie, 10 degrees x 110mm, but it might well convert one of my retro steel bikes to a modern day headset, aiding in handlebar changeover and set-up. I do have forks to suit with x-long 1" steerers.

You still haven't told us how much your steel forks weigh?