Logan Rd commute between Eight Mile Plains and Slacks Creek

laviedeboheme

Logan Rd commute between Eight Mile Plains and Slacks Creek

Postby laviedeboheme » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Hello Brisbane Southside Commuters,

I'm trying to work out a reasonable way to ride between the end of the cycleway at Eight Mile Plains (near the Gateway overpass), to reach the Pacific Hwy service road at Slacks Creek (near Compton Road intersection). ie. this is for the outbound journey from the CBD.

For inbound I would probably just use Logan Rd, but the outbound trip seems more problematic due to narrow shoulder, increased afternoon traffic flows, etc.

The last time I rode outbound on Logan Rd between the Gateway overpass and Underwood Rd (on a Saturday) it was downright scary and from Underwood Rd to Compton Rd it wasn't much better :!:

Any suggestions much appreciated :?:

Thanks,
Greg

irrelevant_apple

Re: Logan Rd commute between Eight Mile Plains and Slacks Cr

Postby irrelevant_apple » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:29 am

I rode out to near Underwood road for the first time. It's also the first time I've taken the 8MP bike way. It's shocking the mass of traffic and poor infrastructure for cycling.

Anyway I also need to get around this area so need to plan routes too. Your situation interested me so I planned a route. I use open cycle maps, Google cycle maps, satellite maps and finally Google street view for where satellite is difficult to discern. All on my phones, gotta love technology :geek:

The route uses Logan road where there's adequate shoulder. The last turn will require you to get up on grass and footpath to avoid holding up another busy road. But a pretty safe efficient result.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2091321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

laviedeboheme

Postby laviedeboheme » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for that, it makes a lot of sense. Especially that last turn to get onto Compton Rd.
I'll try it on a weekend before I commit to riding to work!

irrelevant_apple

Postby irrelevant_apple » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 pm

glad it helps. Just had another look. To get on Compton probably much safer and easier to take a small left and u-turn then go straight through lights rather than try filter to right turn lane.

Also the service road has no space. Best to cross onto the opposite footpath on baker st and stay on it.

oh and if time isn't critical I can see a few side road detours to be on a safer and more pleasant experience. inbound too. I suggest having a play around with Google cycling maps and open cycle maps