Hot, Hot, Hot - Summer in NSW

westab

Postby westab » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Well I went out for a ride on the way home from work and while I didn't think it was that warm the extra water bottle was nearly empty and after a cool bath I was spent. :shock:

No I didn't melt but I think I was close.

So in the heat (whatever you feel is hot to you) what do you do to cope and/or recover?
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

westab

Re: Hot, Hot, Hot - Summer in NSW

Postby westab » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Well all I do is carry and extra bottle, and fill both of the bottles with ice cubes. Riding slow is what I do and get home for the cool bath or shower.

Then I eat what I feel like - usually ice blocks.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:31 pm

I generally take two water bottles and the second one I'll make it double strength. Then when I am on the return, I'll empty the double strength one half into the empty bottle and fill both bottles with normal water.

I tend to ride in very hot weather with the jersey unzipped as well, or very close to it. White jerseys too, not dark coloured ones.

You could ride at half-past midnight (hehe) though.... :lol:

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:37 pm

For me, plenty of water, lightest jersey that still protects me from the sun in both fabric weight and colour, sunscreen and ride slower.

I often wish I could unzip my jersey, but being female, I'm wary of the unwanted attention I might receive!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 pm

isabella24 wrote:For me, plenty of water, lightest jersey that still protects me from the sun in both fabric weight and colour, sunscreen and ride slower.

I often wish I could unzip my jersey, but being female, I'm wary of the unwanted attention I might receive!
Haha. :lol:

I often find that I need to keep the speed up when it is warm, if I go too slow I just get very hot.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:56 pm

It was pretty hot today too. Would have been more than 30ºC when I got back home this morning.

I had to marvel at the very fit young lady running on the M7 cycleway this morning near Elizabeth Drive. It was stinking hot by that time (after 10am) and heck she was going quickly - really, really quickly. :o And she looked like she was doing it easily! :shock: Respect!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:15 pm

33 degrees on my ride today of over 70km and around 1,000m of climbing. Suffice to say I drank a lot and used electrolyte tablets in the water.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:
:mrgreen: .

Not having experienced a southern style heatwave I don't know how you lot can deal with it, 20 degrees one day and 44 the next :shock: . It was only about 30 here today but with not much breeze about the sweat was gushing off me.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:23 pm

biker jk wrote:33 degrees on my ride today of over 70km and around 1,000m of climbing. Suffice to say I drank a lot and used electrolyte tablets in the water.
You picked a good day for that level of elevation. :lol: I drank heaps today - and by the time I was nearing home the sweat was pouring off me.
ldrcycles wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
:mrgreen: .

Not having experienced a southern style heatwave I don't know how you lot can deal with it, 20 degrees one day and 44 the next :shock: . It was only about 30 here today but with not much breeze about the sweat was gushing off me.
That's not me riding at midnight, I prefer to sleep. ;) As for the four seasons in one week (or multiple seasons in one day recently), we just deal with it. ;) The aforementioned fast moving traffic on foot also takes the mind away from melting away to nothing. ;)

I wasn't even going that quickly today - but I don't think I've sweated that much in ages. :lol: I love riding in warm weather, it's so much nicer than winter when it is sometimes hard to get warm.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:28 pm

The best time to ride in the summer is 5am, at sunrise!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Drink before I'm thirsty - more water before riding, more water + gatorade during ride, and more water after the ride.
Occasionally, I'll weigh-in before and after the ride just to be satisfied I've not over or under-done the hydration.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Did 60km on the mtb today of which about 40 was on dirt. Bike control on the tricky bits was shite by the end of the off road part.

I went through about 3 litres of fluids and was close to bonking on the 10km road ride home. Fortunately it was mostly downhill.

If I had room.for 2 bottles on the dually I'd seriously consider dumping the camelbak. They make you sweat bucketloads.

And then when you stopped the heat soak just drenched you immediately.
Think I might stick to the road bike when it's like that - more of a breeze!

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:45 am

There's a good post Thermoregulation and the Cyclist on Sydney Cyclist forum
with particularly good advice on post-ride tactics:
... if you’re sweating after a ride, it is FAR better to stand in front of a fan than to stand in an air-conditioned room. This is my preferred technique. I have a fan under my desk at work which I bring out - a massive metal fan. Usually though, I simply back off considerably well before my destination to give my body a chance to cool with sweating alone so I’m comfortable when stopped.

If I’m sweaty on arrival because I’ve rushed or it’s a particularly hot/humid day, I’ll often rinse my face with water to remove the salt and then stand in front of the fan until I start to feel cool. Only then is your body temperature back to normal. A cold, air-conditioned room, with little airflow will do nothing to aid with evaporative cooling and you’ll be relying purely on conduction, convection and radiation - all of which are quite ineffective.

This brings me onto another related point: showering after a ride.

So many people will have a shower after a ride - usually a cold shower - and then a few minutes afterwards will start sweating profusely. There is a reason for this…

Ideally, if you feel you need to have a shower it is best done after cooling down with a fan first. If you don’t have a fan then you need to take a lukewarm (coolish), but definitely NOT a cold, shower. The reason for this is due to the temperature sensors in the skin I mentioned earlier.

The skin sensors are very powerful in their control of vasoconstriction - the reduction on blood flow to the skin (and sweat glands!). They do not care what your CORE temperature is, which is what really matters.

If you take a very cold shower while you’re hot, the skin sensors will cause a dramatic constriction of the blood vessels in your skin which immediately decreases the heat that is lost from the body (despite the skin feeling cold). Once you step out of the shower the skin sensors back off and then the hypothalamus takes over… and starts the sweating & vasodilatation. This is because you’re actually overheating!

So if you’re going to take a shower, make it lukewarm/cool, but not cold.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 am

The corollary from that is, if you are going to take a cold shower, then make sure you stay in it for a longer time to ensure the core temperature have also been cooled.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:45 am

sogood wrote:The best time to ride in the summer is 5am, at sunrise!
+1

Though for me that applies to any time of the year, not just summer 8)

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 pm

I was out on Sunday riding, at a motobike track day. We were at Eastern Creek in western Sydney and by mid afternoon, the heat was ferocious. Waiting on the line for the start was truly oppressive. Avoiding dehydration was a challenge - I drank more than a litre of water after each session for a total of somewhere around eight litres for the day. The worse part was riding back at the end of the day. Temperature was still over 40 deg and the traffic was slow moving - felt like I was going to melt. Collapsed in front of an air conditioning fan when I got home for thirty minutes before I could gather the energy to go and have a shower. I think I avoided getting significantly dehydrated, but I still feel weak today.

Fun day, though!!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:06 pm

As I type I am stuck in the Midlands of England at 6 in the morning, rain tumbling down outside and a chilly gale blowing.I would love some heat.

When I'm home on hot rides I take two bottles and plan the route to go where there will be some petrol stations close to be able to fill them when empty and make sure I put on a long sleeve summer jersey as the less direct sun on your arms makes a surprising difference to how the heat affects you.

To be honest though if it looks like it will be in the high 30 s or more then unless I'm on the homeward leg of a commute I don't go out.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:49 pm

As I type this, I'm in the Australian version of England with rain tumbling down heavily. :lol:

It was so wet this afternoon. And yet here I am going out on the bike. :D

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:36 pm

New one for me - but mentioned above. The long sleeve jersey with light colours and light weight. Work well if it is not too humid.

Also the new camelback podium chill bottles keep the water cooler for longer so they are also my preference. Mrs Westab spoiled me over Christmas; i am so lucky.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:50 pm

I also use the camelbak podium chill bottles... nothing worse than warm water.... I was carrying extra water bottles plus riding routes where I know where water refill spots are..... Now purchased a 3 litre camelbak so I am not reliant on water refills.... I also sweet a hell of a lot and go through a lot of water.
At home I have a bottle of hydration fluid and jump in the pool...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 pm

I don't sweat as much as some people, but I need to drink a lot on 70+km rides or I'm at a risk of cramping up. Tonight was no exception - very hot, even when the sun went down. I had to pay attention to the way I pedaled carefully and keep the hydration up. But I did put in some very tough efforts (for me at least).

This afternoon was extremely hot. :( When I got to Prestons, I saw another poor guy roll up on his bike and promptly suffer the must horrible and painful looking cramp in his leg. As he was getting ready to go, I could see that the whole thing had appeared to lock up. I have no idea how he made it back home, I gather he had a long way to go as well.

Angus

Postby Angus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:21 am

Lots of water, early starts, no massive hill climbs. Cap under the helmet, and UV arm protectors. A little squirt of water on those keeps you cool as well.
I'm in Brisbane and basically just do easier rides over summer, harder rides are for the other 3/4 of the year!

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 am

Just bailed out of doing a 300km ride tomorrow when I saw 40 degrees + predicted in Penrith.

The last time a did a long ride with temperatures greater than body temperature I nearly died. Before the heat started I was at 27.5km/h for ~150km and I had been feeling fine. Got to Andy's Cafe (~175km) and pretty much sat under a cold water tap for 10 mins. When I left there, I was as wet as if I had been in a swimming pool. By the time I got to the ferry (8km? Mostly downhill) I was bone dry. The ascent the other side was hellish - no shelter. My average speed at the end (~200km) was ~25km/h. I had drunk 2L of fluid in the last 20km. One other rider was hospitalized for dehydration - audax ride so not in a group so I do not know the full details.

As soon as the temperature gets above body heat you are at a whole different, and more dangerous, level of hurt.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, it's not going to be a good weekend at all for riding. I ran the Tallowa Dam ride last Saturday and got cooked coming out of the Dam. Garmin was reporting 44c. I pulled out back at Kangaroo Valley and got a lift back home. It's just no fun at all when it gets that extreme.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:21 pm

And even worse, when you start getting slower and slower, you just seem to cook even more and it feels worse.

I'm not anywhere near fit enough to even think of 175km+ rides, let along at those speeds - nor in that kind of heat.