Baines "Flying gate" Bike ????

MichaelB

Baines "Flying gate" Bike ????

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:56 am

Just browsing, and came upon this item

Ebay - Baines "Flying Gate"

Any further info/feedback - very unusual frame design. If the price was better, I'd think about buying it just because it is different !!!

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:18 am

Try these sites for the history of the design
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/baines.html
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/de ... es-hs.html

Trevor started building frames using the same design in the late 1970's/early 1980's and is still going strong. This is one of his more recent efforts. I have always wanted one of these but never been in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money :(

I will have to talk to she who holds the purse strings....:wink:

Richard

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:33 am

Trevor is very approachable and if you alert him on the web site he will probably vouch for the authenticity. He also will probably still have the build sheet for the frame. It looks to appear in excellent condition. I am unsure of recent prices, but I know that a similar design of frame by A Waller went for GBP730. Rarity is sometimes valued highly. You may also get an idea of current values from the web site as he often has secondhand frames for sale.

They have always been quite popular in the North of England, and in the 40s and 50s often seen in massed start races especially if there were hills on the circuit.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 am

Way to expensive for my tastes, but will have a read on the links above during lunch.

Cheers

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:06 pm

To put things in perspective, go down to your LBS & see what $2,000 will buy you. Pick out one that you like.

Will it appreciate in value over time?
Will it have the same visual impact?
It is likely that there will be a half dozen more of them in your area within the next 12 months?
Will it be the class ride that the 'Gate' is for the rest of your natural life?

You know, for a miserable $2G, [buy it now price] the Flying Gate is starting to sound like a bargain to me.

Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm boogered if I can figure out why, I mean four seatstays. What's all that about?

Looking at the link, I saw this pic...

Early threadless headset design?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I'm boogered if I can figure out why, I mean four seatstays. What's all that about?

Looking at the link, I saw this pic...

Early threadless headset design?

Shaun
The idea was to get a really short rear stay length and thus a short wheelbase which means a stiffer, lighter frame and so better up hills (theoretically :) ) A normal seat tube slants back and gets in the way of the wheel so they came up with this design. The second set of stays are there to brace the mini seat tube and (hopefully) add triangulation to stiffen up the frame.

The headset is designed to take a stem without an expander bolt. The forks have a slot at the top and the headset clamps the stem into the forks a bit like a seatpost. The races are still threaded on.

Cheers

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm

:idea: That makes sense, acceleration by the bucketload.

Thanks for the info Richard.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

I think this is a bargain. It is a complete bike made with 653 I think. The only thing for me is that it would be too small for me to ride, and I would not be putting out a thing like that for my wife or daughter. :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:00 am

I wonder what the frame weighs compared to a std diamond frame ? Given that the intent is a stiffer better climbing frame.

Whether the $2k is a bargain, its cash I don't have.

Whilst my fixed Eagle Indi 500 is doing well as something different and a good wetish weather steed, I'm still hankering after a top quality steel frame for a long term keeper.

Need to build up the bank balance first.

Thanks for the input and tips though guys. Always good to see something different.