A few questions about my near-finished build

ldrcycles

Re: A few questions about my near-finished build

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I don't need to pump up my tyres very often, but from what I've heard from others your situation isn't all that unusual. Some tyres/tubes lose air faster than others.

For the pump, if you're after a small pump you can carry with you, Lezyne are easily the best, whilst also being reasonably priced. I also have a Topeak (I don't know the model, mini master blaster or something like that) that I got for $25 and it has been exceptionally good, plenty of use but no problems.

If you want a floor or track pump, my first one (which I have since given to my brother) was a Giyo Air Supply for $80ish which has been going strong for about 6 years, or you could get a Giant Control Tower for $30ish. That one was good but only lasted about 6-8 months. To be fair when it broke I was using it to recharge a fire extinguisher, but that sort of thing (or pumping up car tyres) never bothered the Giyo!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Another Air Supply track pump in the shed, also going strong after many years.
Never had a problem with THIS either except having to hold the head onto the valve stem. Cheaper there than I paid too :(

But, since I got a Lezyne as a gift a few years back I retrofitted the whole fleet...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Cheers guys, I ordered a Topeak floor pump for based off your recommendation - cost me $33.

Here is how the bike is looking now:

The forks will arrive soon:

Sunlite Econo Fork http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sunlite-Fork ... 1c38863754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Looking good. What brand is that bar tape, my brother is after something like that for his bike?

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks ldr. It is some no-name stuff I got off ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380695757182 ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was $9 bucks!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Nice one Josh, all you need except a front brake.

Are you planning on colour matching the fork?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Cheers Shaun

I am too impatient to start riding more.. I would have liked to match the forks, but ended up just choosing a painted (black) fork so I could put it straight on.

Hopefully the brake I bought will fit with these new forks!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:32 pm

My new fork arrived and it feels terrible!

As I turn the handlebars, it feels like there is a really sharp curve in the steering... like the steering wants to reverse or jolt you off or do a right angle or something.

The old bent fork felt way better.

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:08 am

Look up Wikipedia "bicycle and motorcycle geometry". Your new fork is too straight for the frame, which has increased your trail and your wheel "flop". You need one with more offset.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:01 am

I don't know, it looks pretty much as it should, if josh is used to the handling with the bent forks then I would definitely expect the new ones to feel a lot twitchier. Have you ridden road bikes before josh?

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Wheel flop.. case closed! Perfectly described what is happening.

Thanks for the link jaffa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_an ... e_geometry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldr I have ridden a few road bikes.. have owned a mtb, trails bike, and a few bmx. Even my 0 degree fork/stem/handlebars flatland bmx was less twitchy. This feels like once I get a little bit into the turn, the wheel just bites in and turns itself with quite a lot of force.

So I guess another goof purchase.. I have spent about $60 on parts that didn't fit this bike now, $35 on ill fitting fork and $25 on ill fitting brakes :( Live and learn I guess.

I think I'll put the old fork back on. Steel isn't just going to snap I reckon, so my face is probably safe.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Wow I wouldn't have expected that. All well and good to make mistakes if they teach you something, or at least that's a good justification for all the mistakes I make :) .

Steel can and does let go without warning, and when it's the forks that are the risk the consequences aren't worth it. Have you tried lining up the new fork blades against the old to compare the rake?

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:53 pm

I saw someone's steel roadie fail at the lug between the headtube and down tube.

The lug actually cracked in half with no warning.

Steel can, and will fail eventually.

Leave the new fork. It looks correct for the frame, you'll get used to it.

If you don't like the twitchiness, i wouldn't ever consider an NJS frame or any other tight geo frame.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Yup ldr, the wheel position is not even the same ball park with the new fork. I'll get a pic soon

I've already swapped back to the original fork - sorry bro's, would prefer to be riding although I know your advice to lay off the bad fork is good.

On the hunt for a better fork now. Anyone know of any council clean ups? Or where I could source a fork with long rake at minimal spend?

The other option is to pick up a frameset but I don't wanna give up on this one!

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 am

Steering irregularity mostly relates to headset adjustment.

Are you sure the headset (top nut/spacers) and properly adjusted?
Are the bearings sitted properly with plenty of grease?

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Cheers Slide, yeah the headset/nuts were all set up well. I didn't use spacers - used a hacksaw and vice/pipe grips. It also felt fine immediately once the old fork was back!

Have been camping over NYE, I took the bike but couldn't ride it on the dirt with the 23c.. was stinging for some fatter tyres so I could do max dirt road skiddies

I'm keen for some bike camping/touring now.. will have to look into a tourer/old road bike/something with gears n brakes :P

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Lame!

It still holds air at first, but slooooowly deflates. So I guess I can fix the tube and possibly the tyre?

I guess I must have hit a chunk of something.. I run 46/17 so should have 17 skid patches.

I had spares so I just swapped out to a new tube/tyre. I'll swap the damaged one pictured above to the front so I have another spare I reckon!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Baha, tried to repair the tyre with the tube repair stuff that came in my WTF38PIECES ebay bike tool kit and it was a gooey mess that didn't stay inflated :)

Probably my fault though.

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Gatorskin?

I stopped riding them, because on hot days, when you skid, the tyre gets super hot and basically delaminates - that is, chunks of rubber tear off the wire casing.

Plus they are rubbish in general.

New tyre and tube for you.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Sup HLC. Yeah, Gators. I won't be purchasing them again, I got three back in November but next I'm gonna try the Vittoria Randonneurs as per your suggestion and also some cheap fixie tyres.

Someone on gumtree is selling some used pake forks and they'll let go for $20 w/ a stem. A new Rum Runner frame is $232 delivered off the bay. Total of $252 for a new frameset is tempting.. could even get a $80 sand/coat as well at that price :P

Gonna mull it over tonight but I reckon I'll probably do it to solve fork issues. As much as I love the Raleigh. *cry*

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 am

Josh. wrote:Sup HLC. Yeah, Gators. I won't be purchasing them again, I got three back in November but next I'm gonna try the Vittoria Randonneurs as per your suggestion and also some cheap fixie tyres.

Someone on gumtree is selling some used pake forks and they'll let go for $20 w/ a stem. A new Rum Runner frame is $232 delivered off the bay. Total of $252 for a new frameset is tempting.. could even get a $80 sand/coat as well at that price :P

Gonna mull it over tonight but I reckon I'll probably do it to solve fork issues. As much as I love the Raleigh. *cry*
I dig those pake frames that are half fluro yellow/black that are all over ebay atm. Seriously tempted to get one as a commutter depending on tyre clearance, but not sure if I need a 4th track bike/fixed gear ha ha.

Also, any tyre that has 'fixie' in it's title is a waste of money.

I just had 5 Hutchison Nitro's arrive from Bike bug at $10 a tyre. they'll do for now.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Yeah those neon pakes are so suave. I looked long and hard for one in my size but no dice.. there is only a 51cm or something left on eBay.

Clearance is for 28c

Bikebug are good, I've had great service.. also have a chrissie voucher there so was thinking I'd pick up the Deda Zero1 stem in 110mm to help in the switch from 1" to threadless if I get this Pake

This is the fork on gumtree BTW:

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 pm

K.. I ordered a Rum Runner

Gonna grab the second hand forks tomorrow

10 days ETA :)

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

On closer inspection the dude's fork had too short a steerer tube so I ordered some new ones.

Also got an FSA Orbit headset, Deda stem, Deda post to make everything fit.

Now I'm broke :)

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 am

Stem, bars, seatpost and some spare tyres arrived today! Had a voucher at Bike Bug

(!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! quality pic)

The tyres seem pretty great for the price! Good find HLC

Still waiting on FSA headset, Pake frame, Pake forks