Moron Motorists #3

jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:43 am

alexandra pde is like a mine field! every time i pass along there i see someone getting hit up with a flash. there are more cameras along there than cars..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 pm

As I approached this intersection on Marine Terrace, Fremantle, you can clearly see the left turning arrow in the left lane. As I was going straight ahead I took the right lane as did the vehicle behind me. Unbeknown to me 1DMN 520 whilst pulling up in the left lane had no intention of actually turning, instead using the lane for an underpass to save a few seconds as the driver then turned left just up the road. Thankfully I was a little slow getting off the mark otherwise I could easily have moved to the left to allow the vehicle behind me to pass and could have been hit by 1DMN 520. Reminder also to me to check for this sort of driving.

Would this driving be considered an offence?

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm

That sort of marking is used for "left-turn only" lanes in Melbourne, and as there is only one lane on the other side of the intersection, I'd say this would be the case here. So yes, it would definitely be an offence. As you point out, quite a dangerous offence too.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Had a similar underpass attempt myself on the weekend too. Heading down to Narrabeen lake down Wakehurst parkway at the intersection of Frenchs forest rd. It's two lanes here plus a right hand turn lane to frenchs forest rd east which as you cross the intersection merges into one lane. I have a red light at the intersection and I am rolling up to another rider who pulls up in the left lane as do I beside him on his right. A number of cars pull up in the right lane waiting for the lights to change. Then a car pulls up behind us in the left lane and honks at us to get out of his way so he can undertake the queue of cars in the right hand lane. Well I thought this was a laugh so I explained with nice big clear hand gestures (not rude ones I assure you) that there was a big sign in front of us that says "FORM ONE LANE" and that's exactly what I was going to do merging in after the cars in the right hand lane had the opportunity to pass. Fortunately he took the hint as we rolled off gently and merged without too much fuss but it is a spot to be carful I always claim the lane and keep my whole arm out all the way fending off the door mirrors as they try to squeeze past and get in front. Oddly enough if you do get into the stream of traffic being a good downhill section you don't hold them up at all as I regularly clock 70kmh here and more when in a queue of cars.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:

As I approached this intersection on Marine Terrace, Fremantle, you can clearly see the left turning arrow in the left lane. As I was going straight ahead I took the right lane as did the vehicle behind me. Unbeknown to me 1DMN 520 whilst pulling up in the left lane had no intention of actually turning, instead using the lane for an underpass to save a few seconds as the driver then turned left just up the road. Thankfully I was a little slow getting off the mark otherwise I could easily have moved to the left to allow the vehicle behind me to pass and could have been hit by 1DMN 520. Reminder also to me to check for this sort of driving.

Would this driving be considered an offence?

Andrew
Yes its an offence to drive contrary to lane markings, but the state of the lane markings are pretty terrible too, so I'd say that the driver would be able to mount a defence on visibility of the markings at an appropriate distance to let them change lanes.

IMO any trained cyclist that moves over to the correct lane, is likely to head check a lane change back to the left line of traffic afterwards. A casual cyclist is likely to be the far, far left, ie I think the practical chance of a collision is fairly small. I would always signal the move back to the left and head check because some impatient motorists follow me over the stop line and then immediately move over.

if the lights were red when the driver committed to the left lane to go straight, unless they know the intersection timings, most of what is being done is being rude to fellow motorists that may have wanted to utilise the left turn arrow because they are driving a vehicle that will cork the turning bay for other vehicles of the same size.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 pm

As above it is an offence what the driver did, however markings drawn on with chalk (obviously temporary pending final seal/linemarking) may not be enforceable.

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Approaching a T intersection with a stop sign 30m ahead. I'm on the right tyre track as I'm intending to go straight ahead to get onto a shared path across the road. Woman making a selfish mad dash from the train station in her car passes me on the inside then turns left, going past the stop sign at about 15 k/hr in the process.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Came across this young lady who was very eager to get to work this morning. Pulled out while a car was going past only to have the young p plater behind jump on the brakes as she put the car into 591st gear for that bit of warp speed slow speed acceleration. Let alone as I'm about to cycle past. Silly woman.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz2qtBS ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get a reply to my complaint to Wanless about their truck that pulled an F.U. move on me on Friday:

Evening Tom
It is of course your prerogative to report what you see as unsafe practices and if at all it can be shown that the Driver deliberately put you in any danger then we support your course of action. I relay to all Drivers the importance of obeying road rules and adhering to safety at all times. This is a message that goes out loud and clear at regular "Toolbox meetings"
Toxfree has a high priority in regards to safety in all aspects... not only traffic practices ....and I can assure you that given the details and the supporting video evidence I will pursue your claim in earnest with a courtesy follow up.
So we do treat this in a professional manner (and for your information I believe the police do take offence to "you tube" videos that have to revert to obscenities and "name calling"). Maybe cleaning up your "you tube video" would be seen as a step in the right direction and would put your complaint into a better light....
Regards
Barry

The "professional manner" seemed a bit meh when I called them Friday morning, hence the tongue in cheek youtube. Perhaps Barry is unaware of the provocation defense in Qld.........

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:56 am

Strawburger wrote:This thread has been pretty active of late. Be very careful in the next few days everyone.
+ fully agree.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:57 am

Tomca74 wrote:...
So we do treat this in a professional manner (and for your information I believe the police do take offence to "you tube" videos that have to revert to obscenities and "name calling"). Maybe cleaning up your "you tube video" would be seen as a step in the right direction and would put your complaint into a better light....
Regards
Barry

The "professional manner" seemed a bit meh when I called them Friday morning, hence the tongue in cheek youtube. Perhaps Barry is unaware of the provocation defense in Qld.........
Hmm, perhaps a step in the 'right direction' would be to actually employ drivers that obey and understand the road rules as well as respect other users?? This would also have the added benefit of putting the company 'into a better light' :roll: Do they realise you're not likely to submit a youtube video to the police, you would actually submit the raw footage? And while he's at it, he should utilise his waste management business and dispose of some of those quotation marks. :lol:

I do find it odd that he pretty much tells you to go to the police instead of trying to keep it as an internal matter... But to me that sounds like he doesn't have the guts to actually discuss it with the driver in question (or can't be bothered finding out who it was).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:41 pm

I had a close near miss as well.

I was going through the Cumberland Highway intersection up near Bruce Street, I had the green to go and this fool in a blue Mazda 6 (previous model) just went sailing through the intersection on the red light. Just as well I was a bit tardy getting away or the car might have collected me. Didn't even make an attempt to stop.

I threw my hand up in the air and screamed out "red lights are for stopping". :roll:

Be careful people - there are some interesting drivers on the road at the moment.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Ah, Christmas on the roads.

Stress, heat, families that really shouldn't get together getting together and thinking it'll be different this year, drink driving, rampant spending, rampant disappointment.
Maybe I'm just being negative,

Anyway, two items today:

First one, while using the footpath type bike path thing to avoid heaps of stationary cars, some ninny in a 4WD thinks she'll cross my path to get into a carpark without looking, so I stop and give a shrug in that direction while they realise and also stop. Then on my way.

Second, while dealing with one of these new fangled Perth roundabouts - the ones where you can choose to leave the safety of the painted green strip (which ends just before the roundabout), and go around the roundabout on the footpath type bike path thing OR claim the lane and go through the roundabout with the rest of the traffic - numpty in a red hatchback didn't see my indication, didn't notice I was heading through the roundabout in a regular fashion, so tired to squeeze past me as the road narrows into the roundabout, but woke up at the last minute, so a near miss only this time.

Anyway, have a good Christmas, stay out of the car if you can, and enjoy the Cricket if that's your thing.

Cheers

Time

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:17 am

Very sad to read of this in the USA. A fine life taken by what may be a drunk driver

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbo ... 2zvw4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:22 am

Aaargh, shoot and verdamt! Such an all-round good guy and highly promising life, snuffed out by some noncompus low-life scum!!

:( :cry:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:36 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/lea ... 2zwk4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A learner driver meant to be driving with no alcohol in his system was stopped in Batemans Bay on Christmas Eve allegedly with a blood alcohol level of 0.162.

He was arrested and taken to Batemans Bay Police Station where he allegedly returned a reading of 0.162. His licence was suspended and he was charged with high-range drink-driving, being an unaccompanied learner, driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle and failing to display his L-plates.
NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said ‘‘driving with minimal experience and under the influence of alcohol could have easily led to a fatal crash’’.

“Yesterday [Tuesday] we had 613 speed traffic infringement notices issued around the state, almost 435 more than the same time last year. Speeding to your destination is not worth the risk of not arriving at all.

“Another disappointing result during Operation Safe Arrival so far this year is motorists failing to use seatbelts, when they are proven to prevent serious injuries and death in crashes.

“We are one fatal crash more than at the same time last year.’’

Key statistics up to day 5 of Operation Safe Arrival are:

Road toll: Four

Speeding infringements: 4554

Breath tests: 200,250

Drink-driving charges: 231
231 drink drivers caught from 200,250 tests is fairly low percentage wise but still 231 too many. How many weren't caught I wonder?

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:39 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6790129665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:

:evil: mother of the year..... :evil:

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:52 am

cp123 wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6790129665

:shock:

:evil: mother of the year..... :evil:
How anyone could do this to their child is beyond me, it was a hot day yesterday too. The irony is this lady is unlikely to be able to get a "working with children certificate" now but she will continue to be allowed to breed!!!!!!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:36 am

Hot day? Read the story again. Under ground car park ... I'm much less concerned about health risks. I'd be more concerned about bub waking up and getting distressed because mum can't be seen.

Much more serious is the fact she was an unaccompanied learner driver.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:44 am

trailgumby wrote:Hot day? Read the story again. Under ground car park ... I'm much less concerned about health risks. I'd be more concerned about bub waking up and getting distressed because mum can't be seen.

Much more serious is the fact she was an unaccompanied learner driver.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
Hi trailgumby,

I reckon the priorities are with the child. Kids can choke, swallow things . They may need fluids. Or just plain get stolen.
You have a life in jeopardy against what may happen. Not diminishing the driving culpability though. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 am

At first I thought this was a movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
Now I feel it's a glimpse into the future, if you don't want to watch the whole film its the first part that rings the warning signs the loudest.
http://www.videobash.com/video_show/idi ... tro-245281 Language warning...

Stay safe..

17sjs

Postby 17sjs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:23 am

Wakatuki wrote:At first I thought this was a movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
Now I feel it's a glimpse into the future, if you don't want to watch the whole film its the first part that rings the warning signs the loudest.
http://www.videobash.com/video_show/idi ... tro-245281 Language warning...

Stay safe..
Knew what this would be before I clicked the link.

It's a grave warning cleverly disguised as a budget comedy.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Building hits taxi a case of SATMIDSY ?
For those who don't know the road, all the driver had to do was negotiate a gentle curve & there is a double width footpath. :roll:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 pm

The dumb lady coming out of Prestons petrol station driveway beside McDonalds nearly cleaned up a rider ahead of me who was on the shared path.

She wasn't even watching.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:The dumb lady coming out of Prestons petrol station driveway beside McDonalds nearly cleaned up a rider ahead of me who was on the shared path.

She wasn't even watching.
I had that the other day (again). Aparrently the cyclist is supposed to stop/get out of the way/not be there whenever a car is driving anywhere. At least that's what the last 3 MM's have told me.