Cell Bikes

Newcastle Dave

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Has anyone tried an Omeo 2 yet ?
I am seriously considering buying one this weekend, but for me it's a fairly big cash outlay on a new untried product. The price looks too god to be true, a similar spec Giant would be around $4700 and an Avanti close to $5000

So what compromises have Cell made to keep the price to $2800 ?

The other thing that concerns me is servicing. I know. Couple of he local bike shops don't like servicing rival brands (and there is a certain sneering attitude to Cell) and its a fair hike for me back to Sydney

I must say I bought my son a cell road bike a year or so back (alloy frame, tiagra components) and he never had any problems with it (until he was cleaned up by a car, wrecking the bike)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Newcastle Dave wrote: So what compromises have Cell made to keep the price to $2800 ?
IMO? Profit margin. And even that might not be too different given Cell haven't got a distributor taking a cut.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Newcastle Dave wrote: So what compromises have Cell made to keep the price to $2800 ?
IMO? Profit margin. And even that might not be too different given Cell haven't got a distributor taking a cut.
....and big brand advertising.

As for servicing ... Not so hard to do most of it yourself.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:05 am

Any plans for Cell to make a cyclocross bike?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 pm

sir_camel wrote:Any plans for Cell to make a cyclocross bike?
We have one coming soon! Most likely mid-Feb. We'll announce it in a newsletter and may even have pre-orders!
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:10 pm

TravisMelb wrote:Hi @CELL Bikes
Looking at the Omeo 2.0 and Omeo 1.0 in size XL, can't find an indication of weight on the site. What are we looking at in terms of KGs as it comes in the XL size for both bikes?
Hi TravisMelb,

For the Omeo 2.0 a M/L weighs 7.5kg. The XL would be a few grams more than that.

Have a look here for more info mate: http://www.this link is broken/omeo/intro.html

-website mgr Mark

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:10 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
We have one coming soon! Most likely mid-Feb. We'll announce it in a newsletter and may even have pre-orders!
-website mgr Mark
Dibs on a test ride and review for BNA :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:25 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
ldrcycles, haha, lets just say it's not your opinion, and you've hit the nail on the head!

Although we go through Australian suppliers for all the famous brand items we carry, our own product is factory direct and comes from factories making other very famous brands.

Yes, we don't spend $$$$ on nationwide marketing, have billboards, or sponsor big events, so the savings is passed onto you.

We run very lean, so much so that our offices may resemble an underground bunker for the resistance, rather than a nice cozy, modern facility, but all the savings are passed on to you.
-website mgr Mark

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Newcastle Dave wrote:(until he was cleaned up by a car, wrecking the bike)
Hi Newcastle Dave, hope your son is alright!

-website mgr Mark

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote:
-website mgr Mark
Mulger bill, most certainly mate! As Christopher Jones knows, I'm a huge fan of BNA and what you guys do for online cycling information, as well as having the best members of any online community! Looking forward to getting it done!
-website mgr Mark

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:38 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
Newcastle Dave wrote:(until he was cleaned up by a car, wrecking the bike)
Hi Newcastle Dave, hope your son is alright!

-website mgr Mark
Mark,

Yeh he was fine, he actually hit the car as the driver (elderly lady) turned right across his path (Silly thing was, she had to go around 2 cyclists that also wanted to turn right, but had stopped to giveway to my son). He is young and bounced. He also used the insurance payout to buy a Bianchi that he was lusting after - so it turned out OK

Another question on the Omeo for anyone who may know . I am coming from a Giant Defy and I am a bit concerned that the geometry and setup of the Omeo may not suit a older and less flexible rider like me. The photos certainly show a more head down, bum up style that what I am used to. Anyone have any thoughts ?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:08 pm

The geometry doesn't look overly aggressive to me. 540mm ETTL for the M, vs 545mm for the Defy.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote:
-website mgr Mark
Oi, I'm the resident CELL pilot in these parts! :twisted:

J/K; there's always room for more :D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:46 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
-website mgr Mark
Are you going the mechanical discs or cantilever brake route?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

m@ wrote:Oi, I'm the resident CELL pilot in these parts! :twisted:

J/K; there's always room for more :D
Snoozers is losers :twisted: :D

Thank you for your very kind offer in reply to my semi serious post Mark, I look forward to getting in touch when the time is right. I know a few trails that should suit a CX bike to a tee.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote:
-website mgr Mark
gah!

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

sir_camel wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote:
-website mgr Mark
Are you going the mechanical discs or cantilever brake route?
Hi sir_camel, mate, mechanical disc for now.
-website mgr Mark

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 pm

I've seen the upcoming Cell CX bike under the bum of the product manager who is known to me (Hi Dave this is Hawkeye) and it is a *very* nice looking bike.

What I want to know is when is he going to do a local take on Road Bike Party ;)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:I've seen the upcoming Cell CX bike under the bum of the product manager who is known to me (Hi Dave this is Hawkeye) and it is a *very* nice looking bike.

What I want to know is when is he going to do a local take on Road Bike Party ;)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
And you didn't sneak the camera out? :(
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:43 pm

could you give me a hint if it's race or relaxed geometry? please tell me race????

gazman

Postby gazman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Here I sit at 2pm Christmas eve, a little dejected :( . Between Cell and Australia Post a dent has been put in the Christmas festivities. On Dec 11 I ordered some stocking fillers - pedals, buffs etc. No show on Dec 20 (nine days - the usual time it takes to get to the other side of the country) so I had a chat online to find the order hadn't been sent, apparently because a chain was not in stock. Daniel apologised and undertook to sent by express post. Still no show on Dec 24. Rang again Dec 24 to find that it had indeed been sent via express post on Dec 20. Apparently express post is not that express!

I could/should have ordered earlier but..............

I have learnt a lesson and it looks like I will be cutting out pictures to put in the Santa sacks :evil:

Merry Christmas to all!

gazman

Postby gazman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:38 pm

:oops: There I sat at 7.30pm last night eating humble pie and wrapping the Christmas presents that arrived at 7.20pm. Thank you Cell and Australia Post. Terrfic job, cutting it fine but it all worked out.

Thanks again :D

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:51 am

Good to hear they came through Gazman, but I always assume that stuff ordered near Christmas is going to have a slightly longer time than usual, due to the sheer amount of stuff that is sent around the country, so the courier folks would surely be doing overtime to cope with the increased workload.

After coming off the bike 14 Dec at ~50kph (according to strava) and cracking my helmet while using my head/face as a brake, then having the ambos cut me out of my bibnicks & jersey, the missus ordered me a new helmet & bibknicks from Cell late 18 Dec to be pressie from santa. I can see from the tracking info that my parcel got to the couriers in Sydney by 2.20pm 19 Dec, then loaded for delivery in Brisbane at 7.20am 23 Dec, and at my place by 9am. Not next day delivery (which i didn't really expect) but not to shabby otherwise, certainly quicker than wiggle, c r c, etc that i've also used recently.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:15 am

Big_Red wrote:After coming off the bike 14 Dec at ~50kph (according to strava) and cracking my helmet while using my head/face as a brake...
This is why I get a bit wary approaching 50kph, too much face braking required. Personally I prefer bar tape and saddle braking, with the unavoidable bit of knee/hip/hand braking. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do I s'pose. :wink:

So how did this head/face/body braking occur? A crit/bunch thing, or just an overcooked corner?

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Overcooked a corner, totally my own fault and my first stack in all the years i've ridden too. Ended up with 35 stitches in the face and also had fractures of both occipital condyles & a bit of road rash on the knees & shoulder. Back is sore as i'm told i bounced on my back after going over the bars, luckily no fractured vertebrae, but that is recovering slowly. RD hanger on the bike is bent, the brifters have some scratches and were twisted on the bars & the bartape needs replacing. I'll have to check the forks for alignment and check the steerer for damage. Might be a great excuse for buying a new bike in 2014 methinks, if only Cell had a roadbike with discs i'd buy it in a flash.