Motivation For Track Success

foo on patrol

Motivation For Track Success

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Ok so this is a place that I would like for the Trackies to come to, to offer or get some motivation for their racing/training. :idea:

I just watched this Vid on Shane Perkins and to me, it shows how someone can turn themselves around and prove people with preconceived ideas about you wrong, after a bad judgement in your personal life. :wink:

Racing of any kind is a combination of physical and mental toughness but the mental side of things is the hardest to achieve. :idea:

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/tr ... 877/Ryokou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Motivation For Track Success

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Got my fix of motivation over the past 5 days racing the fat old blokes in D grade and watching the Malaysian national track team racing against the state's best while preparing for the world cup. There were current world champs, Aussie champs, NZ champs, and a whole bunch of former ones as well. I also got a lesson on standing starts from one of the best sprinters in the country. I even managed to win a wheel race in epic fashion!

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:52 pm

I've got that Ryokou doco recorded but have only watched the first half.
My motivation came from being a commissaire at several events before Christmas (needed to maintain accreditation quickly!). Now I'm keen to get fit enough to race the state masters champs at the end of Feb.

I started racing as a kid and any time I've been out of the game for a while, I just need to go and watch some bike races to get the fire burning again.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:10 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Got my fix of motivation over the past 5 days racing the fat old blokes in D grade and watching the Malaysian national track team racing against the state's best while preparing for the world cup. There were current world champs, Aussie champs, NZ champs, and a whole bunch of former ones as well. I also got a lesson on standing starts from one of the best sprinters in the country. I even managed to win a wheel race in epic fashion!
That's the type off stuff I'm talking about BGF! 8)

People/competitors don't realise how good it is to compete against these types of riders and how much it can help you. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Good luck to you KGB and maybe in the future, we will meet up, because I intend making a come back to racing. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:09 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Got my fix of motivation over the past 5 days racing the fat old blokes in D grade and watching the Malaysian national track team racing against the state's best while preparing for the world cup. There were current world champs, Aussie champs, NZ champs, and a whole bunch of former ones as well.
You forgot and some people that didnt really want to be there getting their behind handed to them regularly :D But I must agree it was pretty motivating.
I also got a lesson on standing starts from one of the best sprinters in the country. I even managed to win a wheel race in epic fashion!
It was a very good win. Always good watching someone give 100% I wouldnt say you left anything in the tank that race.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 am

vander wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Got my fix of motivation over the past 5 days racing the fat old blokes in D grade and watching the Malaysian national track team racing against the state's best while preparing for the world cup. There were current world champs, Aussie champs, NZ champs, and a whole bunch of former ones as well.
You forgot and some people that didnt really want to be there getting their behind handed to them regularly :D But I must agree it was pretty motivating.
Given that your palmares is pretty much empty, Vander, I would say that you were pretty gutsy just to get out there. You were punching above your weight (again) and earning some serious respect. You got a fair few 4ths and 5ths and were the last non-titled rider out there on several occasions. I think you made an impression. Chapeau!

vander

Postby vander » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks BFV! Its good to be able to compete against such class.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I got my fix of motivation tonight - first ever time on the track. 8) I was really nervous to start with, but once I learned how to handle the bike, it's just such a blast.

It's such a different experience to road-bike riding. I understand why people do it now. :D Addicted already. :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Out at Wyatt Park? or DGV? Come out to race this Friday at Wyatt Park. It's free racing this Friday!!! And you can win money, too.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Nah, Lidcombe. No racing just yet, you've got to learn to walk before you can run. :idea: :wink:

Sheesh, I'm sounding like an old man.

I was at DGV on Monday night for a look. I'm looking forward to having a go on there in due course. :)

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 pm

BFV,

He was at Wyatt tonight;) One and the same place Chris;)

You might need to give him some encouragement to have a run in D...I've been working on him...not finished yet!

Cheers,

Phil.

P.s. Your bike has returned to its home, ready and waiting for you to hop on board again. Thank you for the loan, and hopefully I did it proud:)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Ah so it is. :) You might just get me to run on Friday.. :D

Looks like I might have a photo gig as well. Oh my, what have I done. :D

I have a feeling I'm going to be consulting with the very friendly manufacturer to borrow a bigger aperture lens.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Phil will tell you that we're very gentle. If you come down before 7:30 you'll see a bunch of juniors riding around the track. It will make you feel like guilty when you see an 8 year old tearing around on a track bike while you're sitting there wondering if you can do it.

Provided you've got a license, it's free this week, and we'll loan you a bike if there is one available. No excuses at all not to have a go. The only problem will be the death stares you get from the missus when you tell her you want a track bike (I think Phil's wife blames me. She was looking at me like I was a drug dealer).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:00 am

Yeah, got my license and no, don't have anyone to answer to these days. (it's okay, you weren't to know).
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:want a track bik
I've already been looking mate. :D That'd be a third bike in the stable. A Trek 4.5, a Giant TCR Advanced SL3 and what next I'm not quite sure - although I'm certain I don't want to spend too much. The kitchen appliance crisis hit with a $2500 wallop this week. Trying desperately not to dig too much into the hard earned savings.

I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of track bikes. Much more to my liking. :)

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:53 am

I had a dig at DGV last night with Bankstown club racing. First time on the boards actually racing for ages - great fun!
I only went because I had to mind the kids during the day and missed a session at Tempe on tues because the weather was a bit iffy.
Back to school/commuting next week but I'll go again if I can.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 am

g-boaf wrote:Trying desperately not to dig too much into the hard earned savings.

I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of track bikes. Much more to my liking. :)
Don't have to spend big $$$ on a track bike to be competitive either.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 am

Haha BFV, I think her Facebook caption to the new bike photo read...'went on a family outing to the reptile park, came home with a track bike!' ...anyway, job done!!

Chris, ebay is your friend...set a subsription for 'track bike' in Australia and you will have one before you know it. There were a few 54cm ones on there over the last few weeks.

KGB, I had the pleasure of my first ride at DGV on Monday night...amazing!! Once I got past the initial nerves I was hooked. Might do the RAW series this year, I cant wait to race on there!!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 am

Cossie Phil wrote:I had the pleasure of my first ride at DGV on Monday night...amazing!! Once I got past the initial nerves I was hooked. Might do the RAW series this year, I cant wait to race on there!!
Nice. Once you get over the fact people that are passing you on the right are above you and that the tyres will stick it is a blast! :wink:

Great to see more people making the realization that track racing is brilliant! We are so fortunate in Australia to have so many tracks including a world class timber indoor velodrome in most states (The USA in comparison has only one indoor track for the whole country!) it is a shame more people don't take the leap.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:44 am

RAW is fantastic, Crafty runs the program well and there is a good variety of races. The pace can be hot but the atmosphere is still really relaxed and fun.
After riding on Tempe recently I forgot how small DGV is, the first few laps felt like the straights were 10m long, haha. Its a great track though, we really are spoilt.

You can get a decent track bike stupidly cheap these days. I reckon $200 would get you a cheapo/beater but $400 would get you something semi decent that would last a few seasons and be worthy of running upgraded wheels etc. I've got my Kerry Hopkins track bike, a Specialized Langster (former commuter, currently setup in pursuit guise) and just put together an SE Racing "Lager". The Lager cost me $130 for the frame and then most parts came from the shed. Even if I didn't have the parts on hand, I reckon I could have built it into decent track bike for $300 or less.
The Langster will be moving on after this track season - although I might have to wait until next October to get any interested buyers.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 am

Yeah, it looked like you were having a blast Phil - your face looked like mix of part terror and sheer excitement. :) I'm eager to get on the boards myself once I get much more confidence and more laps under the belt. I felt that nervous excitement yesterday - it's just the best feeling. Just that little taster of this whole thing leaves me wanting more. :)
dalai47 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Trying desperately not to dig too much into the hard earned savings.

Don't have to spend big $$$ on a track bike to be competitive either.
Yeah, found that out quickly on a standing start. :D Needs exactly the thing I don't have that much of - sheer brute strength. Those of you who've seen me or ridden with me will certainly agree that I'm tiny.

A road bike is so easy to get going fast, you just spin spin spin up through the gears and way you go. Not so in track. It took every bit of strength I had to wind it up and get it going fairly quickly and then keep that going.

I turned up early, got fitted on the bike and watched the kids going around just to see if I could learn anything from them. Humbling indeed trying to learn something from I guess 8 year olds wizzing around like it's nothing. But that's good - it focuses your attention and cuts you down to size.

In the end, you can only take in so much before it's just time to get out there and do it and have fun. I started to feel my way into it and work out how to stop the bike in approximately my intended place without overshooting the mark and actually I started to get okay at slowing it down fairly quickly by my newbie standards.

There is no way to learn that other than doing it, carefully. I'd liken it to something like Roland Beamont taking off in the TSR.2 for the very first time, wondering if it was all going to end in tears and then gradually getting more confidence and starting to enjoy the feeling that comes with familiarity.

When you start to get to grips with it, then you get that silly, stupid grin from ear to ear. :lol: Now I just want to get out more and get more laps in, consistent ones at some decent speed.

I couldn't believe how quick those bikes can go as well. You don't need some exotic aero machine worth thousands - it's all about the rider, and it's pretty certain that this unworthy rider wasn't doing much justice to that bike which has undoubtedly served many people far more capable than myself. I'm certainly glad that I did so much riding over the holiday period, it was very worthwhile.

Phil will certainly confirm that I was nervous as heck, but also having a blast and the grin on my face was getting bigger and bigger the more I rode that bike. :D You just don't get that on a road bike in the same way.

So this is not a race report as such - but the humble first timer account that I suppose you'll all be reading and sitting back nodding with a smile and thinking, yes, I remember that too. Well, I hope it comes across like that.
Cossie Phil wrote:Might do the RAW series this year, I cant wait to race on there!!
Hmm, tell me more.
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Got my fix of motivation over the past 5 days racing the fat old blokes in D grade and watching the Malaysian national track team racing against the state's best while preparing for the world cup. There were current world champs, Aussie champs, NZ champs, and a whole bunch of former ones as well. I also got a lesson on standing starts from one of the best sprinters in the country. I even managed to win a wheel race in epic fashion!
I'm all ears at the moment for any lessons and tips. I'm listening to and reading everything I can find. I'm almost cross with myself for not trying this much earlier! It's like when you get a new computer game and you can't stop playing it until you've won. :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 pm

With respect to RAW, it's probably the best track racing series in Australia, and it's for the "normal" people as much as it is for world and olympic champions (and we've had quite a few of them race during it). 12 weeks during winter, every Friday night.

Do some racing at Lidcombe first (FREE this week - I think I mentioned that before), then try out DGV during a training session, then maybe try a Bankstown race night. Plenty of time to get ready for the end of June when RAW typically starts.

Hints and tips. There are plenty of those around. Just start riding and talking to people afterwards. That way you'll have some context and you'll understand what they're saying. Also, don't be afraid to just walk up to the best riders in the world and ask them about their gearing or the best position in an elimination. This sport is one of the few where you can do that.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Found that out Monday night at DGV with the first person I spoke to. :) Everyone seems so welcoming and approachable. 8)