eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Dezza

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Dezza » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Where is the bend? It's an Alan frame i.e. bonded - hence the flaring of the tubes at the ends which you can see. something else I'm missing?

Carbon forks and aheadset rather than quill stem are much more modern than the frame. All that black spoils the vintage look IMHO.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Bent out the front. The top tube and down tube does look a bit curvy, and it doesnt seem like it's from lens distortion. It sure is hard to tell, and maybe he even tried hiding the fact that he's front ended the bike. Nice bike if it werent wrecked.

Another example is this dude. He's posted a thread here on BNA and the fork steerer is bent out badly. The bike aint worth the asking price, and he doesnt state the issues it has.

I thought I had posted this link, but I guess I forgot to.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/granvill ... 1034146162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assumed it was Ironman Master from what I could see. Stuck around for a few weeks and he relisted wih a lower price, and I grabbed it. Turned out to be the Triathlon Master(same thing, but export model hence a different name). I believe it is 100% original, from the Nitto stem and B115 bars, 6400 group, Turbo saddle, and Araya CTL-370 rims. Kinda weird geometry though, being a 57cm ST(c-c), and a 59cm TT(c-c).

Another Iroman Master with a broken rear wheel. But cheap, and what looks to be 600 arabesque.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/summerla ... 1034288477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I spotted this up on ebay a week ago again. Bought it for $85, and tries to resell for $500 bidding or $1000 BIN only weeks after he buys it. Messaged himi asking about buying it for the same price he bought it for, but he tells me that the guy at his LBS told him its a rare bike, and he'd be better off selling it to buy a newer bike. Now after my message, he decides to keep it. :roll:
QuangVuong wrote:Did someone here buy this Look? I think its a Bernard Hinault Look(Reynolds 653). The Tri A is still available for $85 though.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1033277275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Dezza wrote:Where is the bend? It's an Alan frame i.e. bonded - hence the flaring of the tubes at the ends which you can see. something else I'm missing?

Carbon forks and aheadset rather than quill stem are much more modern than the frame. All that black spoils the vintage look IMHO.
I could be mistaken (hope I am), but, look closely at the top tube, half way between the rear brake cable securing point and the head set. Is there a bend there??

I am aware of the Alan frame construction and was pretty excited when I saw this. Then I thought I saw a bend in the frame after realising the forks had been changed to a modern Carbon set up, with a modern threadless headset and clamp on stem. It poured cold water all over my enthusiasm.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Quang, that saddle looks terrible on the centurian...it doesnt suit.
Please sell it to me ! :mrgreen:
When in doubt......mumble.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:10 pm

You don't see nice tandems everyday so here one is

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:23 pm

grantw wrote:You don't see nice tandems everyday so here one is
Hehe.

I used to have a Gitane tandem. Mixte-style rear. Random Mafac and Simplex bits. No reason to think it was anything other than gaspipe.

Didn't notice until we'd been riding it for years that the tubes were creased just behind the head tube, which combined with the mismatched fork and 27" front wheel (inch size on a French bike?! Sacre bleu!) makes it pretty obvious that she'd taken a pretty solid hit in the front. *shrug*. Still rode okay. A bit twitchy on the steering when riding solo, but I figured that was just a fact of tandem geometry.

In other news... did anybody on here grab this one?

I had a watch on it, but it came time when I was in a theatre with my phone on silent, and I forgot all about it. Only one bidder. Would have been an interesting one to have in the collection... availability of front tyres aside...

tim

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:04 am

grantw wrote:You don't see nice tandems everyday so here one is
barefoot wrote:Hehe.

I used to have a Gitane tandem. Mixte-style rear. Random Mafac and Simplex bits. No reason to think it was anything other than gaspipe.
You get a huge variation in tandems, from clunkers to race machines, with most of them at the gaspipe end. This Gitane tandem appears to be a reasonable touring bike, a drag brake at the rear and cantis up front, brakes and an eccentric bottom bracket. 5 speed, so my guess is that it is 85-86 - a 1984 Rallye had the chainrings at the front & by 1986 had the chainrings at the stoker. By 87 they dropped the horizontal tube on the Rallye. Still likely to be hi-tensile tubing though.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:10 am

Kermit TF wrote:Quang, that saddle looks terrible on the centurian...it doesnt suit.
Please sell it to me ! :mrgreen:
Whats a Centurian? :| Looking at the components and bike manufacture year(mainly 89 and 90 parts and bike), I do believe its all original, and I plan on keeping it like that. Unless you wanna pay half a grand for it :mrgreen:

Cheap Kuwahara
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/unanderr ... 1034995789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:26 am

I think I might have a different definition of near new - Shogun with wishbone seat stay will look quite nice one you ditch the tri-hard bars.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:01 am

That was up for $500 initially, and when I enquired he said $200 is the lowest he'd do. All I wanted from the bike was the tri-hard bars, but I bought one elsewhere. Wonder what sort of bar tape is long enough to wrap them though.

akq

Postby akq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Anyway, I spotted this up on ebay a week ago again. Bought it for $85, and tries to resell for $500 bidding or $1000 BIN only weeks after he buys it. Messaged himi asking about buying it for the same price he bought it for, but he tells me that the guy at his LBS told him its a rare bike, and he'd be better off selling it to buy a newer bike. Now after my message, he decides to keep it. :roll:

Isnt that just the way it goes,someone buys a bargain and then sells it (or tries to) for what its actually worth,cant see anything wrong with that

koen

Postby koen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:08 pm

QuangVuong wrote: Whats a Centurian? :| Looking at the components and bike manufacture year(mainly 89 and 90 parts and bike), I do believe its all original, and I plan on keeping it like that.
It wasn't such a rough diamond back then.
:) haha see what I did there?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Restore it and you have a classic Malvern Star worth mega bucks!
that what the seller says, so must be true.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Restore it and you have a classic Malvern Star worth mega bucks!

LOL!!!!
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

koen

Postby koen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Restore it and you have a classic Malvern Star worth mega bucks!
Yeah thats one of my favourites. He couldn't possibly be sending up any other sellers on gumtree :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:53 pm

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Ok then

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/spreyton ... 1034953203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dreamer will dream atmo

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:07 pm

dubrat wrote:Ok then

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/spreyton ... 1034953203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dreamer will dream atmo
I thought the seller was very honest when he said "highly priced" rather than "highly prized" :-)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:23 pm

dubrat wrote:Ok then

Dreamer will dream atmo
Is anyone else noticing the lack of an 'a' in the decals? :?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:02 am

ldrcycles wrote:Is anyone else noticing the lack of an 'a' in the decals? :?
it is for that guy in the bookshop

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Seller is not good at maths - 2 gears on front & 7 (maybe 8) at rear = "24 speed"
Quad chainrings, 6-speed rear, perhaps? :P
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:40 pm

find_bruce wrote:
barefoot wrote:Hehe.

You get a huge variation in tandems, from clunkers to race machines, with most of them at the gaspipe end. This Gitane tandem appears to be a reasonable touring bike, a drag brake at the rear and cantis up front, brakes and an eccentric bottom bracket. 5 speed, so my guess is that it is 85-86 - a 1984 Rallye had the chainrings at the front & by 1986 had the chainrings at the stoker. By 87 they dropped the horizontal tube on the Rallye. Still likely to be hi-tensile tubing though.
Yeah, mine was half decent as well - certainly not like a rental beach cruiser POS - but still most likely gaspipe.

High-profile Mafac cantilevers at the rear (front was mismatched, as mentioned... had newer low-profile cantis), Atom drum brake hub, 3x5 drivetrain, eccentric BB at the front IIRC. I assumed it was '70s vintage, based on the rear brakes alone. The triple crank was at the front too, because the rear seatstay was curved around the wheel, so wouldn't have worked with a derailer. Also, such a short effective chainstay might have been a problem for the drivetrain (considering they were still using bushing chains back then, which really didn't like being cross-chained).

Offloaded that when a friend wanted rid of his '90s KHS tandem. Hardly ridden tandems since, due to the kids thing.

tim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:12 pm

frailer5 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Seller is not good at maths - 2 gears on front & 7 (maybe 8) at rear = "24 speed"
Quad chainrings, 6-speed rear, perhaps? :P
Fingers crossed, quad chainrings are cool :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Small sized, mid-low level Clamont in Hills district, Sydney. D/butted Tange 900.
Realistic start price, not stupid, like you see quite often lately.

And the term awesome has really lost all meaning, has it not?

And the less said about that Mercian, the better. :cry:

A Daddy Long Legs Kuwahara in Brissie. Noice.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Here's a nice Mercian

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1990s-Mercia ... 1c3aa0cced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;