Commuting Rain Jacket

Grejoh

Commuting Rain Jacket

Postby Grejoh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi all. I am on the search for a reasonably priced Rain Jacket, so that I can become a full time commuter, instead of a fair weather commuter. In line with that, I am after some suggestions for brands, makes etc of Rain Jackets that others have purchased and that work for them. I am willing to pay up to and around the $100 - $150 mark tops! But if I can get out of it for less, that would be acceptable too! :D I want it to be waterproof, not water resistant! Whether is has pockets or not is not as issue as I have a Topeak rack and bag on the back of the bike. In the same vein, do others suggest that I should also get rain pants as well? I am living in Sth East Queensland, in Ipswich, so it is not like it rains a lot, but when it does it BUCKETS down and it is mainly during the months from October though to March, when most of the rain does occur. So the jacket needs to be reasonably light, as I will not need it for warmth. I have my winter riding gear all sorted. I have tried a few on in some of the LBS, and I am happy with a 2XL. The XLs fit, but I dont need it to be form fitting so am happy with a bit more room for a 2XL. So any suggestions you guys/gals have would be most appreciated.

trailgumby

Re: Commuting Rain Jacket

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 am

Rain jackets keep the chill off but don't actually keep you dry... you're just swapping getting wet from the outside with getting wet from the inside. Mine inevitably comes off at the top of the first climb. Too hot!

That said, they are still an important piece of kit for colder weather should you have a mechanical and have to stop. At this year's Highland Fling they were compulsory due to the 2 degree temps at the drizzly start. Mine still came off after the first climb.

I'd suggest having a good hard look at Ground Effects gear. A little outside your price range but super effective, breathable, and long lasting. I have a set of their rain shorts and they are excellent. Once my Netti rain shell dies I'll likely get one of theirs.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 am

trailgumby wrote:
I'd suggest having a good hard look at Ground Effects gear. A little outside your price range but super effective, breathable, and long lasting. I have a set of their rain shorts and they are excellent. Once my Netti rain shell dies I'll likely get one of theirs.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
+1 for Ground Effect. Very happy with the Storm Trooper jacket.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

mick243

Postby mick243 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Each to their own, but I don't use "wet weather gear" - I tend to sweat more in it, so get wet either way.

I do layer up to keep the cold at bay.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:08 pm

As I like to do a bit of touring as well as commuting and have ridden for eight plus hours in continuous rain (yes it happens here in WA in the south-west :)) my preference is buy decent gear to do the job well, hence I have gone with a Showers Pass Elite 2 (now updated).

That said the Showers Pass Elite 2.1 Pro might be overkill for your needs I would take a serious look at their offerings. They also have 20% off till December 31, 2013. Otherwise I would consider a Ground Effect Storm Trooper as previously suggested. You can purchase one through this site and support the site as well.

Andrew

RonK

Commuting Rain Jacket

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 pm

As a Brisbane resident I can tell you that in SEQ any rain jacket will be too hot. Unless the temp is under 10C it's like being in a sauna.

A showerproof gilet such as the Ground Effect Jetson or maybe a Castelli Gabba convertible is probably the best choice for the showery autumn weather. For summer downpours just grin and bear it or wait for them to pass.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:22 pm

I have a Cannondale jacket, I think it is this one: http://www.cannondale.com/aus/morphis-jacket-22529 which I normally wear as a vest and attach the sleeves when it rains. It is waterproof and excellent for cool weather (I don't break out the full jacket until it goes below 7C). This jacket may suit SE Queensland as it is light to carry around and you have the option of a vest or jacket as conditions require.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Blackrock

Postby Blackrock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49 pm

I have the Altura Night Vision jacket in the link below;
http://www.this link is broken.au/altura-night-vision-jacket/
Pretty solid jacket with good build and features. The long underarm zips go a fair way to keep the internal sweats down to a manageable level. There is also a mesh lining that stops the main material from sticking to your body.
I like the orange colour as it is by far the most visible when out on the road. The fit is nicely tailored and is made for the typical bent arm crouched position of a cyclist. The back is also longer to cater for that position.
Good jacket overall and at a reasonable price point.
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 am

As it happens, I have a rain jacket for sale. It is a large size which is too big for me so I replaced with a medium. Been very happy with it.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... mi#p989217

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am

i have one of these (naturally bought on sale for ~$100), http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/monrovia-jac ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice and light, very wind proof and water proof. also part of the 3-in-1 range, so you can buy a fleece jacket that attachs to it to make it one big warm waterproof jacket. that said i found the wind and waterproof-ness both fantastic enough that a fleece layer wasn't required.