CX bike on a road training ride

nezumi

CX bike on a road training ride

Postby nezumi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:52 pm

So, I am contemplating joining some road bike training/group rides.

Unfortunately, the Financial Controller has naysayed the notion of acquiring a carbon roadie for now - as a result I have my alloy CX bike as my main option.

At present it is wearing Schwalbe Marathon Pluses - I have a second wheelset, but that is mainly for offroad use and I would rather not switch it between CX and road tyres frequently.

I also have the issue of what to bring as my recovery/ICE kit - I currently have a trunk bag on panniers, so I have a tendancy to overpack rather than take a chance. If I don't get a saddle bag, could I get away with having a spare tyre, levers, multitool and pump in my jersey, nothing else?

Yes, I know I sound paranoid - but it is a bit intimidating to rock up to an established group of riders and have *everything* be wrong. :)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

piledhigher

Re: CX bike on a road training ride

Postby piledhigher » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:01 am

Doesn't really matter, given the rides you have been contemplating on the b(n)v forum you won't stay on long enough for anyone to care unless you are some undiscovered tdf quality talent.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:47 am

Your Merida is white, yes?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wardie

Postby wardie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:23 am

For the last few weeks, my mate rode his CX bike on group rides as he'd shipped his other one OS. He just used a wheelset with road tyres. You'd have to do that at least.

He had the issue of spinning out pretty easily though as he only had a 44 tooth big chainring. Not sure what you've got.

But he's a top rider and was in a group he'd been riding for years. I reckon you're better off starting in a really easy group to see how you go.

Just pack a tube, tyre levers and CO2 or a pump. I just carry them in one of my jersey pockets.
Giant XTC 2

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:35 am

wardie wrote:For the last few weeks, my mate rode his CX bike on group rides as he'd shipped his other one OS. He just used a wheelset with road tyres. You'd have to do that at least.

He had the issue of spinning out pretty easily though as he only had a 44 tooth big chainring. Not sure what you've got.

But he's a top rider and was in a group he'd been riding for years. I reckon you're better off starting in a really easy group to see how you go.

Just pack a tube, tyre levers and CO2 or a pump. I just carry them in one of my jersey pockets.
Yeah, spinning out is a possibility - I think my big ring is a 46. That said, at my current ability I doubt I'd manage to keep pace with a group of 40km/h unless drafting works really well.

I'm not looking to jump into a racing bunch, more just in a group ride where I can ride without so much wondering where I am going. Beyond that getting a good ride and going quick are nice but not the main focus.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:38 am

Mulger bill wrote:Your Merida is white, yes?
Partially. Mine is white, green and black, but more green/black than white. There is another forumite with a white Merida with red accents.

wardie

Postby wardie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 am

Then I reckon you'll be fine. You even see people on a MTB in some groups.
Giant XTC 2

Squigs

Postby Squigs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:45 am

nezumi wrote:That said, at my current ability I doubt I'd manage to keep pace with a group of 40km/h unless drafting works really well.
All the groups I have been on go over 40km/h on downhills. The first time you ride in a group you probably will actually be surprised how much drafting works.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:03 am

Squigs wrote:
nezumi wrote:That said, at my current ability I doubt I'd manage to keep pace with a group of 40km/h unless drafting works really well.
All the groups I have been on go over 40km/h on downhills. The first time you ride in a group you probably will actually be surprised how much drafting works.
Downhill I might be able to keep that pace. I manage to hit ~40km/h on the Main Yarra Trail from Willsmere park along the Eastern (named as "Eastern TT" here: http://www.strava.com/activities/99952595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Honestly, my climbing is of a greater concern than my rolling pace at present. I want to be sure that if I join a "regroups" bunch, I don't hold everyone up.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:12 pm

nezumi, ignore the naysayers.

I ride a CX bike with a set of road wheels for longer/faster road rides, including some friendly bunches (eg. the RRR) and down Beach Rd, and have no trouble sticking with all but the youngest, fittest, fastest riders. My cranks are 46/34. I only spin out over 50+kph, and most rides don't ride anywhere near that except on long descents. Oddly, many strong, fast road riders lack much technique when descending anyway so if you can learn to descend efficiently you'll have no trouble keeping pace.

Get a set of, say, Fulcrum 7CX wheels and put an 11-28 cassette and 25s on them, lose the pack/bag and just take a spare tube, levers and pump, and most friendly rides will be happy to have you along.

Of course if you have disc brakes on the CX it gets a little more complicated ... or expensive.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:30 pm

cyclotaur wrote: Of course if you have disc brakes on the CX it gets a little more complicated ... or expensive.
Disc brakes I do have. I need to weigh my wheelsets and figure out which is lighter/better and throw some Conti GP4,000s on them to have a hack.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Depends on the group ride.

My local has 3 sub groups, slow, medium and fast.

One of the regulars rode in the slow group on a CX bike with baby trailer attached and young son inside. No issues keeping up and young son had a great time.

When riding with the "medium" group, I take a variety of bikes, including a 52/16 singlespeed. (which would spin out easier than a 44/12) I only struggle in sprint sections, as I am a grinder not a spinner an my top speed is about 45kph at a cadence of 115 or so.

That said the fast group, where I will only ride a race bike, as all the riders who race are at least a grade above me, does long sections at 40kph plus and sprinting around 60kph. Has an U17 rider restricted to 52/16 and he managed 58kph a couple of weeks back.

All rides are drop no one, and have regroup points, but if you are in the wrong group you will be directed towards the right group for you.

As for what to take, spare tube, levers, inflation device and maybe a multi tool in your jersey.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:11 pm

I'd just strip all your panniers and but a lighter set of tyres on the wheels and you'll be fine. 46x12 is more then high enough of a gear for most group rides.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:17 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Your Merida is white, yes?
Partially. Mine is white, green and black, but more green/black than white.
OK, now you have to find the dream roadie in a similar enough livery and ensure they are NEVER out of the shed at the same time... :wink:
I know one bloke who upgraded from a HT to DS MTB and snuck it through on the basis of all black frames for both. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Mulger bill wrote:OK, now you have to find the dream roadie in a similar enough livery and ensure they are NEVER out of the shed at the same time... :wink:
I know one bloke who upgraded from a HT to DS MTB and snuck it through on the basis of all black frames for both. :D
Hmmm, I have this, so I can look at this or this. :D

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 pm

nezumi wrote:
Yes, I know I sound paranoid - but it is a bit intimidating to rock up to an established group of riders and have *everything* be wrong. :)
Are you worried about image?

You have drop bars so can adopt the same riding position they do, so the rest is up to your physical prowess!

Some bunch rides (like Peak Cycles) advertise typical speeds, so you could just start with a non-ambitious group.

Friendships will surely just happen whatever you do!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:00 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:OK, now you have to find the dream roadie in a similar enough livery and ensure they are NEVER out of the shed at the same time... :wink:
Hmmm, I have this, so I can look at this or this. :D
Now yer thinkin'! Don't forget to change the locks on the shed so only you have access :mrgreen:
London Boy 29/12/2011

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:07 pm

I survived!

I arrived at 5:55 for a 6:00am departure. I was the only one present, wondered if the ride would happen... then realised I had forgotten my gloves! Raced back home (all of 200m or so), got the gloves, came back and at 6:03 there were three others there. Introduced myself, mentioned that it was my first bunch ride and away we went.

I travelled *OK*, doing the 34km loop in 1hr33min. My main difficulty was the hills - whether this was a problem with the bike/setup (Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on stock wheels) or the engine is still up in the air. I think that both contributed and require improvement.

The guys on the ride were great, waiting for me at the regroup points and generally being a patient, understanding and instructive lot. On a number of the climbs one of them turned back after reaching the top to ride along side me.

All in all a very pleasant experience. One of the guys suggested that I do a few runs of the circuit myself to get better on it before joining one of the big ride groups, as they tend to set a pretty hard pace on these runs. He also suggested starting earlier than the rest of the ride and letting the bunch catch me up at some point. All food for thought.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Good to see you survived.

Before I bought my Jamis I rode everything on my TCX- commuting, gravel (minor) and weekend group rides. I never had a problem keeping up with the medium fast guys (say 30-32 km/hr averages and sprints in the high 50 km/hr). I run 46/12 and have spun this out to a wind assisted 60km/hr sprint for a local Strava KOM (not in group either). All I did was run 25mm Continental tyres, GP4000's or more often Gatorskins (<$100 online).

I would suggest the tyres are the easiest to swap out and probably give the best bang for buck improvement, then work on your engine. Worry about the stock wheels when they die or SWMBO gives approval. Yes you will be working harder than others but not much more and means you get fitter quicker.

I would be taking the bare minimum on the bike- tube/s, CO2 (I always have 2), multi tool, levers (if needed), I also take patches, tyre boot, phone (of course), money and some ID (medicare card?). Food is handy also (small energy bar etc).

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:16 pm

For the ride I cleaned everything off the bike I could. My extender bar/light mount is too difficult to remove quickly, so it stayed. The stem/head tube attachment is a warterproof case for my phone. In the back of this I stuck my license/debit card/medicare card, a $10 note and my house key.

In the jersey I had a pump, tube and multi-tool - the multitool is a ~10 year old Topeak Alien 3 - it has *everything* on it, so it's a decent weight, but cheaper than buying a second one just for road rides.

The plan in time is to get a Merida Scultura 905, but until then... :)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:50 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Good to see you survived.

Before I bought my Jamis .....
Oooh, Jamis - which one?
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:43 pm

[URL=http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
2012 Jamis Eclipse (Reynolds 853 steel) custom build- SRAM Red, Braccianos, Ritchey and Easton Add-ons, comes out at about 8kg dry.

has been shown in the show your bike thread but has new additions (white bar tape, cut steerer tube, ultegra carbon pedals)

Bike is fast and comfortable- rode most of the 3 Dams Route this morning (120+ km) easily aside from the legs hurting

Hope the pic works BTW

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Ditching the marathon pluses will give a note able improvement to your speed. They are very puncture resistant but heavy and have more rolling resistance.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:19 pm

warthog1 wrote:Ditching the marathon pluses will give a note able improvement to your speed. They are very puncture resistant but heavy and have more rolling resistance.
I think it's the weight that hits me hardest - going up the hills I feel like I am pedalling through mollasses.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:32 pm

nezumi wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Ditching the marathon pluses will give a note able improvement to your speed. They are very puncture resistant but heavy and have more rolling resistance.
I think it's the weight that hits me hardest - going up the hills I feel like I am pedalling through mollasses.
The weight is good training :-) However, I have managed a 40.8km/h avg over a 10km segment of my daily commute, and that is with SMPs, mudguards, rack & panniers, sporting a 48t big ring. ! I am yet to manage that kind of pace on my unburdened dedicated road bike!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi