Brisbane airport

spirro

Brisbane airport

Postby spirro » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Anyone ride to the airport? Any safe routes or are you stuck on the highway with cars flying passed at 100km/h?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

foo on patrol

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:43 pm

You can't ride up Airport Drive. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:01 pm

spirro wrote:Anyone ride to the airport? Any safe routes or are you stuck on the highway with cars flying passed at 100km/h?
Do you work at the airport?
Are you flying somewhere with your bike?

If not, why would you want to ride to the airport? :shock:

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You can't ride up Airport Drive. :wink:

Foo
Of course you can - I ride it most weekends.

It does depend where you are coming from - I'm riding from the CBD and take Kingsford Smith Drive, Sugarmill Road, Lomandra Drive, Qantas Drive and Airport Drive on the way out to the aircraft observation point, then Airport Drive back to Nudgee Road. Traffic on Airport Drive is much lighter since Moreton Drive was opened.

Coming from the Northside I'm not sure but I have seen a bike path under the overpass at Nudgee Road.

There is also a newly completed bridge over the canal near the Nudgee Crit track and a path that seems to head towards the airport.
Last edited by RonK on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
spirro wrote:Anyone ride to the airport? Any safe routes or are you stuck on the highway with cars flying passed at 100km/h?
Do you work at the airport?
Are you flying somewhere with your bike?

If not, why would you want to ride to the airport? :shock:
No I do t work there. Just thinking about it as a possible weekend ride. I'd be coming from the north side
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Smithstreet wrote:If not, why would you want to ride to the airport? :shock:
The ride out to Pinkenba, around to the aircraft observation point and out to Nudgee Beach is a pleasant and popular ride. There are big bunches out there every weekend. It can quickly degenerate into a hammerfest on the flat roads.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:14 pm

RonK wrote:There is also a newly completed bridge over the canal near the Nudgee Crit track and a path that seems to head towards the airport.
The new path takes you to SkyGate from the Nundah crit track. We used it for the first time on the weekend. Saturdays we ride over the gateway and up to Sandgate/Redcliffe. So after swinging around Sugarmill road and Lomandra drive, it's your choice to ride the road down the Toombul and the bike track, or hopping the footpath over the bridge and taking the new bike path.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:36 pm

RonK wrote:

Foo

It does depend where you are coming from - I'm riding from the CBD and take Kingsford Smith Drive, Sugarmill Road, Lomandra Drive, Qantas Drive and Airport Drive on the way out to the aircraft observation point, then Airport Drive back to Nudgee Road. Traffic on Airport Drive is much lighter since Moreton Drive was opened.

Coming from the Northside I'm not sure but I have seen a bike path under the overpass at Nudgee Road.

There is also a newly completed bridge over the canal near the Nudgee Crit track and a path that seems to head towards the airport.
What is the sign at the end of Lomandra Dr with the line through the Bike then, before Airport Dr? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best route using Google maps or something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:13 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
RonK wrote:

Foo

What is the sign at the end of Lomandra Dr with the line through the Bike then, before Airport Dr? :?

Foo
No idea - I have never seen any such sign on Lomandra Drive in the direction that I and everyone else travels it.

Brisbane Airports has made several attempts at dictating to cyclists, all of which have been ignored.

And of course, Airport Drive is not a gazetted road.

I've been riding out there regularly for around ten years.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:53 am

Ok unless I'm talking about a different direction Ronk. We turned off Kingsford Smith up to the roundabout and went left and about 75/100mtrs before Airport Dr the sign is there.

Foo
Goal 6000km

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:27 am

Apparently this is the cycle work that's been completed:

http://www.bne.com.au/sites/all/files/c ... 202013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I'm still not clear how to get from the Jim Soorley bikeway to Qantas drive (via Skygate I assume)
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:16 pm

pm poohkies - he knows a route

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Only a small section of that road is prohibited by bikes. Nudgee Road end to the International Terminal is out of bounds for bicycles however from the International Terminal to the roundabout at the Domestic Terminal and beyond are permitted. Basically you have to detour via Skygate and along the elevated railway line. I assume this is because of the Nudgee Road/Southern Cross Gateway whatever its called now flyover combined with the entry road from Skygate and the exit road for the new Gateway where it could be dangerous for some cyclists as traffic enters, merges and then exits in very quick succession.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I assume this is because of the Nudgee Road/Southern Cross Gateway whatever its called now flyover combined with the entry road from Skygate and the exit road for the new Gateway where it could be dangerous for some cyclists as traffic enters, merges and then exits in very quick succession.
So why does the Gateway interchange have bike lanes if you can't ride there?

I ride straight down Airport Drive from the domestic terminal every Sunday and turn right onto Nudgee Road, same as the bunch rides do. I've not seen any signs.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:06 pm

If you want to be exact its the Skygate exit to the roundabout for the International terminal. I'm actually heading to the airport now so I'll try to get a pic. I'm sure there is a no bike sign there.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:49 pm

So how do you get from the Jim Soorley bikeway to the Skygate? That's really the only part I'm not clear on.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:15 pm

spirro wrote:So how do you get from the Jim Soorley bikeway to the Skygate? That's really the only part I'm not clear on.
Follow this ride except for the right that I made to take photos of signs. Just turn left and follow the path on the first photo.
http://www.strava.com/activities/101805365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And said no bikes signs.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks for that Luke. Very helpful. I might give it a go.

So that stretch between the two airports on Airport Drive is pretty safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 pm

It's just like any other road really. Just have some extra caution at the roundabouts. Lots of confused/in a hurry people not wanting to miss their flight/pick up someone.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Lukeyboy, I still want to know how you managed to get two rides in on Christmas Day. I would be crucified if I tried that ;-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't fear the danger. I am the danger. :lol: #BreakingBad

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:02 am

Well, I've just completed my regular Sunday Airport - Nudgee Beach ride via Kingsford Smith, Lomandra, Qantas and Airport Drives, Dryandra Road to the observation area at the end of Acacia Street (the usual bunch of weirdos were there with their step ladders and scanners).

As an aside, if you are waiting to pick somebody up, this is the only place the parking fee greedy BAC allows vehicles to stop. It's been reported that the BAC has the highest parking fees of any airport in the land.

I returned along the full length of Airport Drive and confirmed that there are NO prohibitions on bicycles using that route. Indeed as I've mentioned previously, there are bicycle lanes marked through the Southern Cross Way interchange.

I suspect that the sign mentioned at the end of Lomandra Drive is to stop bikes turning right and ending up on Moreton Drive, but not from turning left onto Airport Drive.

Traffic on Airport Drive is now nothing like as heavy as it was back when it was the only airport access road. It didn't faze me riding it then, and it doesn't faze me riding it now.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 am

Are you on strava ronk?
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 am

brett.hooker wrote:Are you on strava ronk?
No, I have no interest in Strava. Or in tracking rides that I've done so many times over the years. The route however is dead easy to follow.