How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Perth:

No surprise this morning on the ride in. Almost zilch cars on the Freeway. Or anywhere else for that matter. And a smattering of bikes.

Weather is perfect. What woudl you expect? It's Perth!
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Hamster wrote:I can only stand in awe at some of the mileages being reported, seriously impressive stuff guys.
just because we do them, doesn't mean we do them fast

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
Hamster wrote:I can only stand in awe at some of the mileages being reported, seriously impressive stuff guys.
+1

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
Still impressive.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:36 pm

jasonc wrote:geez poohkies - you're smashing it
thanks jason, made up for the crap ride in

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Perth - Mandurah

Seven long hours, sun beating down and flukey gusts later in the day.

And we tell ourselves this is FUN?

(Heads off to fall into the pool...)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:22 am

not many other bikes out this morning

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:42 am

Perth:

I was tempted to take the train after a fairly heavy weekend on and off the unicycle. I am yet to wind right down. (Not helped atm with the aircon at work not yet on - there's so few of us here anyway.)

Later I expect that I will feel it was worth it.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 pm

My extended commute is currently working out ok. It’s a slightly strange feeling to not be using the trains. Commuting by bike only takes the same amount of time as bike/train/walk. The only issue is how my body will react to the extra time in the saddle.

On the subject of saddles my new Selle Contour is excellent. The only question is its longevity but for comfort it’s brilliant :D .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Melbourne:

Chilly 13 degress this morning. Very unusual summer weather. Decided to dress up a bit and make myself feel good on a Monday. Full 90's Mapei Quickstep jersey and bib this morning. I had a few guys sucking my wheel along Footscray Road for a while only to leave me for dead once we got to Lonsdale St. Also forgot my phone and gloves, clearly I was more worried about matching kit, rather than worrying about essentials.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 pm

alexander wrote:Melbourne: Chilly 13 degress this morning. Very unusual summer weather.
My little weather station said 9.4C at Mill Park at 4am, and the digital display on Heidelberg Rd at Alphington read 11C on my way into the CBD, pretty chilly for sure.
Think I'll head back mostly on-road today, Friday's ride back along the MYT was pretty stressful with peds & casual cyclists. I saw plenty of Melbourne bike share bikes around in the CBD at noon, so the paths are going to be busy...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 am

beautiful morning ride in, lovely weather listening to the J's happy days :) also worked at standing to go up hills, different but going to keep working at it

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 am

poohkies - change your profile. you're in brisbane now ;)

definite a nice morning. will get wet this arvo I'd say. commute day number 214 for me for the year.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 am

Lot of days commuting Jason....well done, also well done on your total distance

Well my year will have consisted of roughly 17250 commuting kilometres done over 178 days...works out to be about 97 kilometres a day

My total riding for the year, according to Strava, will be roughly 18 760 kilometres after the ride home this arvo. I will have spent 678 hours on the bike, which works out to be just over 28 full days.

I finally got under 100 kilos this year and got to my goal weight of 95 but have failed to stay there....next year..maybe hahaha

Congrats to everyone who has chosen to commute and reap the benefits.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:50 am

gretaboy wrote:I will have spent 678 hours on the bike, which works out to be just over 28 full days.
shows you how slow I ride - am just under 28 days total time for nearly 3000kms less.

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:57 am

Melbourne:

Almost a complete replica of yesterday, 13.5 degrees when I left. A few more cars than yesterday, and a few more cyclists.

Spoke to two lovely ladies this morning. Both riding very nicely on flat bar roadies. Spoke at the lights and we both noted the lack of cars and how nice it was, even the air seemed cleaner as there wasn't as many cars about.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:58 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I will have spent 678 hours on the bike, which works out to be just over 28 full days.
shows you how slow I ride - am just under 28 days total time for nearly 3000kms less.
Garmin connect says that my average for the year was 27.8....and I reckon if I hadnt had 3+ months of energy sapping headwinds on the commutes home that average would be higher

speed is nothing with regards to commuting I think...my main aim is to get to work alive, without flats and with as small a headwind as possible :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:37 am

jasonc wrote:poohkies - change your profile. you're in brisbane now ;)

definite a nice morning. will get wet this arvo I'd say. commute day number 214 for me for the year.
updated :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:23 am

Well done, all fellow commuters, distances small or large!

Final commute for the year this afternoon should take me to just above 15 260 commuting kms for 2013. I haven't bothered recording the shopping trips on the cargo bike (those kms must count for more, given an empty weight of 3 times that of the commuter :mrgreen: ) or other short hops to visit family etc.

Have a great 2014 everyone, and safe riding - see you on the other side. :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 am

TailWind wrote:Well done, all fellow commuters, distances small or large!

Final commute for the year this afternoon should take me to just above 15 260 commuting kms for 2013. I haven't bothered recording the shopping trips on the cargo bike (those kms must count for more, given an empty weight of 3 times that of the commuter :mrgreen: ) or other short hops to visit family etc.

Have a great 2014 everyone, and safe riding - see you on the other side. :D
have a good one TW...been enjoyable sparring with you this year

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 am

gretaboy wrote:have a good one TW...been enjoyable sparring with you this year
Thanks gretaboy, 'twas a bit of a "no contest" though :wink: , catch you in the new year!

Edit - speaking of weight...I increased my distance over last year by over ten percent, but oddly enough, my weight increased by a similar factor, hmmm. Need to move from cruise mode to a more variable style...

Grejoh

Postby Grejoh » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:08 am

Well had a great ride this morning and broke a few of my own records. Can't compare to most on here, but for me it was good! Last ride of the year, set new distance of 57.69km. That also took me over the mark and I hit 3,007km for the year! Again no where near as far as most of you guys on here, but I only started in January this year, so I am happy with myself. Maybe next year, now I have my bike set up for all weather commuting, I will be able to get close to 5,000km in a year! Well thats my New Years resolution anyhow!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:14 am

Grejoh wrote:Well had a great ride this morning and broke a few of my own records. Can't compare to most on here, but for me it was good! Last ride of the year, set new distance of 57.69km. That also took me over the mark and I hit 3,007km for the year! Again no where near as far as most of you guys on here, but I only started in January this year, so I am happy with myself. Maybe next year, now I have my bike set up for all weather commuting, I will be able to get close to 5,000km in a year! Well thats my New Years resolution anyhow!
Grejoh.....its hard to compare against others due to what each of us do...I am lucky to have a 45k each way commute..hence my overall distance

set your goals and go for it...all you can do and be consistent also :)

good luck for the new year

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:58 am

Perth:

I thought it would happen in the new year but this morning was a return to the usual numbers and types of riders.

Skys very cloudy but calm air and very easy to ride in. Even after my regualr mid-ride exercise session I didn't feel down. Finished that with a coffee even though Sassys is shut for the break (thanks guys at the WA Rowing Club) and arrived at work with nary a drop of sweat.

If it is calm this evening I'll prolly prepare for the New Year with a last long ride home.

Happy New Year to y'all.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:19 pm

final commute - done!

13,294kms riding to and from work
214 days commuting
~82% of my kms were done to and from work.
"saving" $2,195.64 vs public transport ( I did spend a little bit more than that :oops: )