2013 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

gretaboy

Re: 2013 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:23 am

I am cutting my commuting back to 3 days a week now...had a gutful...simply no competition to push me HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously..I am cutting back due to changing up what I am doing. 3 days a week should keep me in front on this challenge until Dec 31

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 am

gretaboy wrote: 3 days a week should keep me in front on this challenge until Dec 31
Yep, I don't think you have anything to worry about...I had set my sights on 15k this year, but I'll fall a bit short, I suspect....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:37 pm

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote: 3 days a week should keep me in front on this challenge until Dec 31
Yep, I don't think you have anything to worry about...I had set my sights on 15k this year, but I'll fall a bit short, I suspect....
no need to worry about me either. TW could just about stop now and I wouldn't catch him

westab

Postby westab » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Logged in last months kms - up to 5th for a day or so again - 540km month. Hope for the same next month.

Jason you better not stop too long as "Team OX" are getting closer (currently only 371km behind).

I might see if I can finish in the top five - might be a bit of a stretch as my last riding day is 21st December - stay safe out there as we enter the "silly season".
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm

westab wrote:Logged in last months kms - up to 5th for a day or so again - 540km month. Hope for the same next month.

Jason you better not stop too long as "Team OX" are getting closer (currently only 371km behind).

I might see if I can finish in the top five - might be a bit of a stretch as my last riding day is 21st December - stay safe out there as we enter the "silly season".
Nice. When I get home and upload, my total will hit around 6310 and will remain stalled there for the next three weeks. Unless I can find some loophole in these damn rules that will recognise some point to point commuting I hope to do in Melbourne in the last week of my Holidays.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Mine is too boring to form a challenge, 2 weeks public holidays, 2 weeks sick leave, no annual leave, 52 - 4 = 48 weeks x 5 days x 50km per day = 11000km for 2013. 3km longer route than 2012 due to an office move, so it was 10,000km last year. Next year hopefully still employed here and have our house so will aim for 11,000km again for 2014 =D

westab

Postby westab » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 am

Reply from the honourable reason thread - lets get it where it should be.

Couldn't agree more - fun and games is as it should be - with the weather , the bell birds near home, the number of riders to hold at bay or chase down - riding is just great at the moment. Weekend weather is looking not so good but that is where the challenge is good and not having a car is better. Enjoy it out there. :D

Oh and Gretaboy will Ox's "commuting" kms on his euro holiday count (we are together trying to chase Jason down)PLEASE

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 am

westab wrote:Reply from the honourable reason thread - lets get it where it should be.

Oh and Gretaboy will Ox's "commuting" kms on his euro holiday count (we are together trying to chase Jason down)PLEASE
my reply in the other thread:

I think it all comes down to this...doesnt matter where you are...if you use a bicycle to get from point A to point B in place of a car...then I would classify it as commuting k's...thats just my take

I am happy for anyone to disagree too and show me the light on my take. In saying the above however, I would not classify riding a bike around a town for the sake of riding to see things as a commute. For example...I travell to QLD and go to Cairns. If it was my first time there and I wanted to see what was around the town itself and I did this by riding, then I would not consider it a commute. However, if I was staying at a hotel and rode the bike to the wharf to get onto a boat to do a Great Barrier Reef tour, then that would be a commute. Lots of grey area here potentially but thats just how I see it. :D :D

And given I am 2500 k's in front of the next person...it really doesnt affect me

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:36 pm

so I've had my 2 weeks off, and had another day off last week, I think I'm still ahead of westab and ox and SHOULD be able to stay ahead now.
TW has stretch the lead to over 2000kms, so I'm stuck where I am

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 am

jasonc wrote:so I've had my 2 weeks off, and had another day off last week, I think I'm still ahead of westab and ox and SHOULD be able to stay ahead now.
I'll have a day off on Friday, and commutes after the 20 December should be sporadic - will be doing some work from home over Xmas/New Years, so I may lose a few more days then.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:42 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:so I've had my 2 weeks off, and had another day off last week, I think I'm still ahead of westab and ox and SHOULD be able to stay ahead now.
I'll have a day off on Friday, and commutes after the 20 December should be sporadic - will be doing some work from home over Xmas/New Years, so I may lose a few more days then.
you would have needed to stop in October for me to catch up.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:59 pm

I think you are right - I don't know when Ox gets back (and I think I will get to 450-500 km this month) which gives you a lead of about 700 km and only three weeks till the end of the year if you don't count after Christmas - still lookout for that last big push.

For the first time in many years I still have some energy in November. :D And its time to use it up :mrgreen:

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:25 pm

I'm back and racking up the Kms (to a small extent) once again. I tried to post this fact last night but got booted of the site after hitting the submit button.

Holidays complete, I'm working right through the Christmas break so maybe I can sneak up on Jason a little! :P

Only managed a piddly 2 km total commute distance while spending the last days of my holiday in Melbourne - that was a return run to Flinders st Station from our accommodation at the top of Elizabeth St.

At home commuting, I can't help but reflect on the differences in the commuting culture between here and Europe, and although these forums are full of anecdotes on the subject, seeing it with your own eyes makes a big difference. Throughout Switzerland, and in Vienna and Hamburg, I was somewhat envious of the nonchalant ways in which the cycle commuters went about their rides in traffic, and that traffic being apparently perfectly accepting of their presence.

In London however it was just plain crazy.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:51 am

Edit: Posted in wrong thread...idiot :)

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:06 pm

So, will this go again in 2014?

If so, do I need to run Endomondo for it? I currently use Strava and MapMyRide at the same time on my phone - Map my ride autopauses when I stop and gives me my split speed each Km, while Strava is Strava.

Most likely I'd replace MMR with Endomondo if needs be.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:27 pm

nezumi wrote:If so, do I need to run Endomondo for it?
you can import garmin files directly into endomondo

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Today should be the last commuting day for this year, so I finished with an extended run to bust through the 7000 km barrier - a mere 10,000 km behind our leader! Hopefully Westab has a 1000 or so kms waiting for upload for the 'Gang up on Jason' comp within a comp :wink:

I tips me lid to those that took part in this years challenge, especially those that opened up the gap above 4th place with some awesome distances ridden.

All the best for the new year!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:08 pm

oxonabike wrote:Today should be the last commuting day for this year, so I finished with an extended run to bust through the 7000 km barrier - a mere 10,000 km behind our leader! Hopefully Westab has a 1000 or so kms waiting for upload for the 'Gang up on Jason' comp within a comp :wink:

I tips me lid to those that took part in this years challenge, especially those that opened up the gap above 4th place with some awesome distances ridden.

Absolutely well done to all.
I was gaining on TW for a while there in March/April but then lost touch. Cheers for the continued encouragement. I still have tomorrow to commute but then not back at work til next week.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:56 am

oxonabike wrote:Today should be the last commuting day for this year, so I finished with an extended run to bust through the 7000 km barrier - a mere 10,000 km behind our leader! Hopefully Westab has a 1000 or so kms waiting for upload for the 'Gang up on Jason' comp within a comp :wink:

Ox..well done on your k's.

My k's are simply from my OCD...must ride regardless of weather lol. Will be different in the new year.

Until next year (tomorrow)...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:00 am

Well done all, and congrats to gretaboy in 1st place with his awe inspiring effort this year!

If we are running a challenge for next year, I'm definitely in, but there is a possibility that I may have to spend some time overseas, which could put a spanner in the works.

All the best for 2014!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:06 am

TailWind wrote:there is a possibility that I may have to spend some time overseas, which could put a spanner in the works.
is that a slightly ajar door for me?
gretaboy said he'll be commuting less next year too.....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:09 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:there is a possibility that I may have to spend some time overseas, which could put a spanner in the works.
Looks like it's going to be tight at the top ...should be fun :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:10 am

jasonc wrote:
I am going to be overseas for 30 days in 2014 as well...I will be very happy if I can pump out 15 thousand next year...but will only be doing 3 days a week commuting

commuting is going to share the seat with racing and training for a triathlon...one of my future goals

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:16 am

A huge factor in my ability to compete in any challenge next year is whether I am made redundant or not :)..I am sort of hoping I am too :)..time for a new career

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm

hi guys, i've just joined the Challenge - Rob Gregory- and popped straight into 4th place