Colnago Appreciation Society

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Colnago Appreciation Society

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:52 pm

GaryF wrote:I reckon it should be ridden much faster as it would prove to be a danger on the road. The longer it's out there, the greater the chances of other riders 'craning' their necks to have an admiring look which might lead to crashes. Have you noticed a trail of destruction behind you when you're out, riding this beautiful bike?
:lol: Gonna be a lot of stiff necks down that way.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:30 pm

There hasn't been much activity in the Colnago Appreciation Society lately and I know there could be a few new additions to this club so I thought I'd show a photo of my Colnago's to get the ball rolling - one for each day of the week:

koen

Postby koen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:39 pm

show off !
awesome colection, well done

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

koen wrote:show off !
awesome colection, well done
Hahaha - Isn't that what it's all about?? Haha

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:47 pm

:shock: -> 8) -> :mrgreen:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:26 pm

GaryF wrote:There hasn't been much activity in the Colnago Appreciation Society lately and I know there could be a few new additions to this club so I thought I'd show a photo of my Colnago's to get the ball rolling - one for each day of the week:

Holy crap :shock:

Which one is the most comfortable to ride?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
GaryF wrote:There hasn't been much activity in the Colnago Appreciation Society lately and I know there could be a few new additions to this club so I thought I'd show a photo of my Colnago's to get the ball rolling - one for each day of the week:

Holy crap :shock:

Which one is the most comfortable to ride?
Hi Scott,

I really like the red and yellow(Ariostea) Master Piu to ride but the older (Saronni) Mexico is nice and Light while the Purple Tecnos is a surprise packet. The newer Aluminium Dream Plus is very stiff and fast and the bike I would choose in a race situation. Really, they all have those well known Colnago all round neutral and predictable handling characteristics.

koen

Postby koen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Unappreciation Society...I took a photo with the chooks on it but it was blurry
I will get to riding it again sometime

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 pm

koen wrote:Unappreciation Society...I took a photo with the chooks on it but it was blurry
I will get to riding it again sometime
Now that would have to be the best looking chook roost I have ever seen - lucky chickens.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:01 pm

So excited by this one I just bought. A couple of phone pics before I get it spruced up and presentable.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I can see why you're excited 'Lots of steel bikes', it looks to be in good condition and will clean up very nicely. The 'sunburst' paint scheme should attract a lot of attention.

What model do you think it is? My rough guess would be an 84/5 Super.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:00 pm

GaryF wrote:I can see why you're excited 'Lots of steel bikes', it looks to be in good condition and will clean up very nicely. The 'sunburst' paint scheme should attract a lot of attention.

What model do you think it is? My rough guess would be an 84/5 Super.
I'm not sure what it is yet. That orange/yellow/red colouring is decals rather than paint. I've done an extensive google image search and can't another with decals like that.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Thats a great garage of Colnago's you have GaryF. Would love another Colnago back in my garage, but looks like you own all the 58-60cm frames :wink:

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:48 pm

NASHIE wrote:Thats a great garage of Colnago's you have GaryF. Would love another Colnago back in my garage, but looks like you own all the 58-60cm frames :wink:
Hi NASHIE, I'd work on cornering the market in Colnago 58-60cm frames but my wife has put a STOP to that - bless her. I think there may be one or two still around.

Hi 'Lots of steel bikes', I haven't seen that decal either. I wonder if it was built for the European market?

koen

Postby koen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Lots of Steel bikes Colnago looks exactly like mine (pictured back afew posts in the dirt) . I have never gone looking to see just what it is. It has the same seat too. I can't actually remember the paint scheme/decals on mine when I got it. It was quite rusty around the seat cluster and abused badly so I stripped it right away and repainted it including the chrome fork. Mine had campag headset but shimano 105 everywhere else and I think that was from new sometime in the late eighties.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Some more photos. I think you are right GaryF, 84ish Super.

koen

Postby koen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Are there numbers somewhere that indicate anything? I'd be interested to know about mine.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 am

koen wrote:Are there numbers somewhere that indicate anything? I'd be interested to know about mine.
The only number I can find is A5 stamped on the drive side dropout. Can't find any meaning behind this via google.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm

It's not an original Colnago paint job, the bike was repainted.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Nikolai wrote:It's not an original Colnago paint job, the bike was repainted.
How do you know that Nikolai?

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
Nikolai wrote:It's not an original Colnago paint job, the bike was repainted.
How do you know that Nikolai?
The first clue is the paint job itself - Colnago would never paint a bike like that (Peougeot, maybe, but not Colnago). I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's not Colnago's style.
The second clue (a proof actually) are the close ups you posted - you can see the frame was repainted.
What it means is that you can boldly :) go ahead and repaint the frame with fresh stickers. I think there are plenty of them around. If this is indeed a Super from the 1980s, you got yourself a decent steel ride :)

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Nikolai wrote: The first clue is the paint job itself - Colnago would never paint a bike like that (Peougeot, maybe, but not Colnago). I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's not Colnago's style.
The second clue (a proof actually) are the close ups you posted - you can see the frame was repainted.
What it means is that you can boldly :) go ahead and repaint the frame with fresh stickers. I think there are plenty of them around. If this is indeed a Super from the 1980s, you got yourself a decent steel ride :)
You may be right about the repaint Nikolai but I love that deep red wine colour. Those panel decals cover far to much of the frame but I think it would be very difficult to remove them.

chargin_tom

Postby chargin_tom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi, I am super fresh to this group but someone left me a little note on my bike today at the University of Queensland saying I should check out this page!!
So this is my bike:
To my knowledge it is a 1988 era Super frame with:
Campagnolo Record Groupset (11sp)
Reynolds Carbon tubs (rear with white industries hub) not my daily ride, normally chuck on some Campag Khamsin wheels
Look Pedals
Saddle is now Bontrager but replacing with SMP in near future

Also whats the go with these frames not having serial numbers??

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi chargin_tom, the note leaver was correct and you were right to post a photo of your Colnago. From the photo, it looks like a 1984ish frame but more pics would help. It looks like it would be a nice bike to ride and would attract a fair amount of attention.

I don't think any serial numbers found on a steel Colnago frame can be interpreted to give model/date information. From what I can make-out from your photo, I am looking at your seat stay caps which probably featured on Colnago frames around 1984/5 - but it is a little hard for an old guy like me to actually see the frame features clearly.

My guess is that your frame is a Colnago 'Super' model.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 pm

How cool is that! Did they leave a username? Choice looking bike too! Come for a ride on Saturday. Check the Queensland thread, or follow the fb link on my sig.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk