Video Camera who uses one?

Nate

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:42 pm

cage wrote:
Nate wrote: As for it "just coming off in a crash" etc - unless you're a relevant engineer or associated with the testing standards, your comment isnt valid. (no offense intended to anyone - but this is science & based on facts/evidence, not opinions)
Those certainly are not my words and I cant see where anyone else has said that, but it seems you where the one thinking along those lines.
yeah - thats why I didnt quote you.
No, not my thoughts - Its one of the most common posts on one of the motorcycle forums I was reading about the issue.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 pm

DCRainmaker has a review on the Garmin VIRB and VIRB Elite for anyone interested.

Andrew

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Any mobius users give me a quick heads up on the best settings to use for road bike helmet mounting...

Ie 30 or 60fps, resolution, blah blah?

I'm sure it's all in this thread but I'm a bit time poor ATM... First trial run last night was pretty jerky and I got dizzy watching it...

cage

Postby cage » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Have you checked out Techmoan's review on the Mobius? The answer might be there or you can post the question, bottom of the page.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/t ... cro-c.html
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Any mobius users give me a quick heads up on the best settings to use for road bike helmet mounting...

I'm sure it's all in this thread but I'm a bit time poor ATM... First trial run last night was pretty jerky and I got dizzy watching it...
In daylight or at nighttime? At night nothing will give a great result (but it may be acceptable). But lower fps is better, 720p might be better too for night.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:29 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:Any mobius users give me a quick heads up on the best settings to use for road bike helmet mounting...

In daylight or at nighttime? At night nothing will give a great result (but it may be acceptable). But lower fps is better, 720p might be better too for night.
Thanks!
Daytime riding

I think I used 1080 at 30... May explain it although I maybe wrong...
The jerkiness maybe the lack of shock absorption between the camera n helmet however, although I thought my neck would act as a pretty good shock absorber!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:23 pm

This looks interesting, the Fly6 ... claiming five hours of battery life. Available in Australia only, Q2 2014 for $169. BTW it looks like the company is based in WA.

Andrew

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Are there any comparison reviews of the currently available cameras?

I realise that GoPro and VIRB are the main action cameras available at present, but I am also interested in a value proposition - for comuting I would love to have a camera fore and aft to capture any misbehaivour.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:35 am

nezumi wrote:Are there any comparison reviews of the currently available cameras?

I realise that GoPro and VIRB are the main action cameras available at present, but I am also interested in a value proposition - for comuting I would love to have a camera fore and aft to capture any misbehaivour.
If u want small, unobtrusive, inexpensive, with reasonable picture quality, grab a couple of mobius 808 #16 cameras....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:47 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
If u want small, unobtrusive, inexpensive, with reasonable picture quality, grab a couple of mobius 808 #16 cameras....
I had a look at these. Is that the right camera?
If so the price is right :)
I'm assuming they are not water proof.
Do you just cable tie them to the seat and bars?
Any photos on your bike?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

cage

Postby cage » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:24 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Any photos on your bike?
This one is the one to get, but your right, its not water proof. If you want water proof, then look at this one.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
nezumi wrote:Are there any comparison reviews of the currently available cameras?

Yes the mobius look amazing for the price.

So am I correct in saying that you can have the mobius set to automatically record when power comes one and loop recording? So if you had one in your car, it can record automatically each time you turn the accessories on without having to do anything. Pretty sweet.

I am going to get 1, and if it works good, probably 4 or 5 more, two for bike, two for each car. The only downside I can see so far is the battery. Its not clear if it can run from external power? It seems to mention that your external power has to be 1A to make sure it gets enough to run properly?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:02 pm

cage wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Any photos on your bike?
This one is the one to get, but your right, its not water proof. If you want water proof, then look at this one.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Suggest you don't try and buy cheap from an eBay seller other than the recommend one at Techmoan, that is Eletoponline. There are fakes in the market place and there is a good chance you will get burnt.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm

As above in regards to where to buy...

Yep u can set it to record every time it gets external power... Ie everytime u turn on the ignition...

I'm running mine helmet mounted ATM.... It's sitting on a flat external battery and it gives about 6hrs record time...

The battery pictured is here http://bit.ly/1hefkn6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives frames taken from the video like this: (stolen from my Facebook so it's quite compressed)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Any photos on your bike?
Waterproof if u stick it in a tictac box like others have...

Ill post a pic of it on my helmet later

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:51 pm

myforwik wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:

Yes the mobius look amazing for the price.

So am I correct in saying that you can have the mobius set to automatically record when power comes one and loop recording? So if you had one in your car, it can record automatically each time you turn the accessories on without having to do anything. Pretty sweet.

I am going to get 1, and if it works good, probably 4 or 5 more, two for bike, two for each car. The only downside I can see so far is the battery. Its not clear if it can run from external power? It seems to mention that your external power has to be 1A to make sure it gets enough to run properly?
Yes it will run from external power. Yes it can be configured to recorded automatically on external power up, Yes loop recording. Yes good camera - particularly impressive night vision for a camera of this price point.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Has anyone got a good way to mount the Möbius camera to kill the road vibration from our smooth Aussie roads ?

Ta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Has anyone got a good way to mount the Möbius camera to kill the road vibration from our smooth Aussie roads ?
Ta
yeah - deal extreme have a few mounts that are great - a page or two back.

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Had my first Mobius action cam for about 5 months before it decided it wasnt going to turn on anymore, went through all options to try and resolve the issue with no luck and didnt get much support from the ebay seller (the approved one). I was going to pick up the garmin virb but figured for the price I may as well give the Mobius another go so ordered another one - hopefully this one doesnt have any issues like the last (sound cutting out randomly for one). Other than that I was really happy with the picture quality.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:03 pm

stretts wrote:Had my first Mobius action cam for about 5 months before it decided it wasnt going to turn on anymore, went through all options to try and resolve the issue with no luck and didnt get much support from the ebay seller (the approved one). I was going to pick up the garmin virb but figured for the price I may as well give the Mobius another go so ordered another one - hopefully this one doesnt have any issues like the last (sound cutting out randomly for one). Other than that I was really happy with the picture quality.
It appears that the quality varies unit by unit. I've heard others who have had issues, but my 2 Mobius units are still going strong after 6-7 months (touch wood). Prior to that I had a pair of 808 16's which I understand also had varying levels of quality - one worked perfectly but I had problems with muted sound on the other. The dodgy one then spat the dummy after about 12 months when I inadvertently left it out unprotected in a torrential downpour (OK my fault). The second one is still going 16 months later but with a slightly fuzzy picture now - I suspect from being dropped once too often.

I liked the 808's as they were easy to rear mount (for me just velcro'd to the rear mud flap). The Mobius is great front on (helmet mounted) and has much better resolution, but it isn't as easy to rear mount as it's bigger and heavier and I don't have a huge amount of room around the seat post - still trying to get a workable solution at the back. Maybe I'll just buy another 808 for the rear - by the time I muck around with mounts etc it's probably almost as cheap. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 pm

I thought that might be the case, fingers crossed I get a solid unit! I have pre ordered a Rideye for my rear facing camera, but wont be ready till March I think, it will be coming with a custom rear mount as well which is handy, has a few different features than many of the standard action cams.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rid ... -your-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 am

For a rear camera the MD80's are pretty solid.
They're standard definition only - but as i'm using it for "close encounters" from behind - standard def will do.

Run time is awesome at about 1.5hrs & its TIIINY & <$20

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:16 am

The use of action video cameras by cyclists has been steadily increasing over the last few years, and I think the new Minimum Overtaking Distance legislation in Qld will also spurn a mini increase in their usage, in Qld at least.

I use one occasionally myself, mostly when I do new rides or just something different to my daily commuting. But I think there comes a point where too much technology on a bike (cameras, garmin, smart phone strava, blinking lights etc) actually takes away from the simplicity of cycling which is part of what I love about bikes.

Everyone has their own standards, but I when I saw this video (see below) this morning, I just thought to myself, if it every got to that, I don't think I'd enjoy it anymore.

How many GoPros / tech devices do you have on your bike ?

Oh, and I should add, that I nearly snorted coffee out my nose, when the dude has an incident, packing no less than 4 x GoPros that I can see, and he still turns to the car beside him and says "Did you see that?"

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 am

Looks like he needs a few more camera angles just to make sure he gets all the angles ;-)

That was a nice lane change tho !

I bet the London Met Police get pissed off with that cyclist trying to police the traffic.....