The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

g-boaf

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 am

AKO wrote:After a week living large on the Gold Coast the family and I arrived at my parents house last night for the Christmas break. I thought I'd try and recover some lost fitness so took the bike out for a blat along the old canal at Greystanes. On a nice open stretch I was having a fair old go when I saw a couple walking towards me. We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance. Leaving only adequate room to stop, I yelled sternly "excuse me" and hit the picks locking up the rear wheel for maximum effect. She slowly raised her gaize and stepped slightly to her right to allow me to pass between her and her partner with mere mm's to spare.
You making us more considerate cyclists look bad to the peds? :!: :!: :!: :lol:

There is another lady who walks her dog always on the wrong side of that cycleway - and she is particularly defiant. I've told her what she is doing is pretty unsafe, her response is just "aw shuddup" I don't bother wasting my breath now.

They all know they can do as they wish, or have the perceived right to do so.

You could go down to the velodrome at Merrylands for track riding. Might run into the famous G.S. 8)

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:25 am

g-boaf wrote:
AKO wrote:After a week living large on the Gold Coast the family and I arrived at my parents house last night for the Christmas break. I thought I'd try and recover some lost fitness so took the bike out for a blat along the old canal at Greystanes. On a nice open stretch I was having a fair old go when I saw a couple walking towards me. We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance. Leaving only adequate room to stop, I yelled sternly "excuse me" and hit the picks locking up the rear wheel for maximum effect. She slowly raised her gaize and stepped slightly to her right to allow me to pass between her and her partner with mere mm's to spare.
You making us more considerate cyclists look bad to the peds? :!: :!: :!: :lol:

There is another lady who walks her dog always on the wrong side of that cycleway - and she is particularly defiant. I've told her what she is doing is pretty unsafe, her response is just "aw shuddup" I don't bother wasting my breath now.

They all know they can do as they wish, or have the perceived right to do so.

You could go down to the velodrome at Merrylands for track riding...
I didn't know there was one there. I didn't start riding till I moved to Queensland so I'm not overly familiar with cycling infrastructure around my old stomping grounds. I'm considering riding over to visit my sisters in "the Shire" but don't think I'll be able to figure out a safe route.
Back on topic though, everyone else I encountered this morning was either polite or kept to themselves on the correct side of the path. Even mixed it with traffic along Merrylands road and received plenty of room from motorists.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:28 am

Go down Merrylands Road and at Centenary Road (just beside Merrylands swimming pool complex) there is small facility for track riding. I haven't been there yet - though I did get someone encouraging me to join. Having no brakes scares the heck out of me.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:54 am

Couple of stupid cyclists this week:
- Riding home along the northern PSP at Leederville yesterday arvo opposite Lake Monger here in Sunny Perth overtaking a MTB POBSO (headphones in) who was ambling along, me at a fair clip, about 5 metres from him him abruptly (and I mean immediately turns 90 degrees across the path into the adjacent reserve (no path I could see) without looking, I missed t-boning this twit by about 5mm. Even with me yelling and braking he was completely unaware and continued across the dirt and grass.

This morning on the Narrows/Freo River Loop on Mounts Bay Road shared path the group of 20+ roadies with the entitlement complex- the cycleways are single file for a reason- one so people coming the other way can ride on the path and 2 people behind can overtake. Ambling along at 25km/h in a large group was moronic. I had to stop and join the road traffic to get past them :roll:

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:08 pm

outnabike wrote:You have to be prepared for any thing with this NZ cyclist.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2860 ... tgun-pants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess he wasn't happy to see them... (sorry)

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 am

A combination of ped and cyclist here. I was going too quick for the conditions, which were: PSP eastbound passing McIvor Station (Perth), up ahead there's a bridge and in the shadow I spot a figure lurching into my path from the opposite side. I sit up and stop pedalling, then as I approach closer the ped is now oncoming on "my" side. I begin braking, but not enough, and as I go to take evasive action to my left, he lurches again to his right.

Big collision, I've bowled him over and hit a bollard off to the side myself, busting the front wheel and landing on my back and banging my head on something pretty solid. Small crowd of people checking us both, he's not feeling any pain and more concerned with the plastic Coffee Chill bottle from which he was sniffing petrol. I take myself off to the hospital and set about replacing my front wheel and helmet.

$600 in replacement kit, a week off the bike and a couple more of pain from a "pelvic girdle sprain" and I've learned to ride to the conditions!

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:57 am

Riding on a shared path early this morning about 100m ahead I see a woman standing on the edge of the path with 3 beagles. They were giving her 110% enthusiastic attention as she was holding some food treats just out of their reach. They were clearly excited but were disciplined enough to be sitting. Gorgeous scene. I was enjoying watching the beagles as I passed at about 20km/h. I didn't acknowledge the woman or make eye contact with her. Then she says 'you're welcome' as I pass.

Thought about stopping and saying 'I didn't ask you to do anything. <blah, blah, blah>'. To which she would have said <blah, blah, blah>, but I just rode on.

Maybe I should carry a thank you card & grovellingly offer it to her next time I see her.

I thought her & the dogs were just enjoying themselves. I had no idea she'd stopped & gathered them up for me to pass more safely. They were under the food trance from when I first noticed them, about 100m away.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:02 am

wexford wrote:A combination of ped and cyclist here. I was going too quick for the conditions, which were: PSP eastbound passing McIvor Station (Perth), up ahead there's a bridge and in the shadow I spot a figure lurching into my path from the opposite side. I sit up and stop pedalling, then as I approach closer the ped is now oncoming on "my" side. I begin braking, but not enough, and as I go to take evasive action to my left, he lurches again to his right.

Big collision, I've bowled him over and hit a bollard off to the side myself, busting the front wheel and landing on my back and banging my head on something pretty solid. Small crowd of people checking us both, he's not feeling any pain and more concerned with the plastic Coffee Chill bottle from which he was sniffing petrol. I take myself off to the hospital and set about replacing my front wheel and helmet.

$600 in replacement kit, a week off the bike and a couple more of pain from a "pelvic girdle sprain" and I've learned to ride to the conditions!
After a big collision like that, you go slow around all pedestrians. Just don't trust them. They can be unpredictable.

Hope you recover okay.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Had one this morning on a section where I had to go on the footpath, thanks to stupid road design. Older woman walking her dog, the dog had stopped to relieve itself on the side of the path, she stopped next to it, staring off into space, blocking the whole path. Completely oblivious to the world so I just rode around on the grass (not ideal on a road bike but doable) and it was only after I had gone around her she realised anyone else existed.
It happens sometimes. Did you ring bell or otherwise to let her know you were coming?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Dumb cyclist was me last Friday. Approached two lane set of lights. I assumed the left was a left only lane as all the cars in the queue looked to have left indicator on. I filtered to the front between the left and the right lane. As I was waiting for the lights to change (for a while as I arrived not long after they went red) I looked at the front car in the left lane and something told me they weren't heading left, I looked forward and there were two lanes ahead leaving the intersection, and a form one lane sign. Quickly ducked across the front of the left lane to the shoulder while the lights were still red and then after the lights went green watched both front cars go straight through. No idea if there was a 'race' to get ingot the one lane first, but glad I wasn't stuck in a land cruiser sandwich.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:25 am

g-boaf wrote:Go down Merrylands Road and at Centenary Road (just beside Merrylands swimming pool complex) there is small facility for track riding. I haven't been there yet - though I did get someone encouraging me to join. Having no brakes scares the heck out of me.
Supposedly much safer - no brakes means no quick decelerations, and no sharp corners means you just have to watch your front wheel. Yet to give it a try, would rather upgrade my bike than buy another lol

Bychosis - nothing dumb about that at all. If there is a "form one lane" ahead, even better reason to filter so you don't have to deal with lane changing antics :idea:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:29 am

The dumb part was assuming all cars were turning left. I'm not brave (stupid) enough to sit between two cars headed straight ahead with me between them.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:05 am

brentono wrote: Could almost be the perfect definition for "IGNORANCE" Jules, and quite common with many people.
(happens on roads, in supermarkets, almost anywhere... some people feel it's their right/privilege :( )
:mrgreen:
Don't start me on supermarkets :evil:
Problem is some people drive their cars and shopping carts in the same way - in total disregard for anyone else on the planet.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Riding up one of the paths in the CBD this morning, at pretty slow speed, see a guy walk out of one of the shops, look at me, then walk to his car which was parked next to the kerb. He leaned in and said something to his wife and then turned around straight away and walked back across the path without looking :shock: Lucky for him I'm quite a safe rider so I saw it coming and he was quite apologetic when he realised his mistake.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Xplora wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Go down Merrylands Road and at Centenary Road (just beside Merrylands swimming pool complex) there is small facility for track riding. I haven't been there yet - though I did get someone encouraging me to join. Having no brakes scares the heck out of me.
Supposedly much safer - no brakes means no quick decelerations, and no sharp corners means you just have to watch your front wheel. Yet to give it a try, would rather upgrade my bike than buy another lol

Bychosis - nothing dumb about that at all. If there is a "form one lane" ahead, even better reason to filter so you don't have to deal with lane changing antics :idea:
Maybe one day. ;) I think I know one or two people who might be willing to teach me a thing or two. I'm happy with my riding at the moment - I'm getting quicker and more consistent.
Ross wrote:Don't start me on supermarkets :evil:
Problem is some people drive their cars and shopping carts in the same way - in total disregard for anyone else on the planet.
Car parks must be one of the most hazardous places to ride through. From shopping carts, cars going in all directions. :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Can I nominate the dog walkers in Western Sydney Regional Park (Lizard Log area) letting their hounds off the leash. I saw them and slowed down already, but then one of the dogs decides to run right in front of me (cue sudden extra braking and get off the bike).

Dog sniffs at me and continues on. I growl at the pedestrians, asking if their dogs should be on leashes. Response: none - except sheepish guilty grin.

The rules:
Pets

In the interest of visitor health and safety and in accordance with the Companion Animals Act 1998 dogs are not allowed within 10 metres of any play equipment within playgrounds. Dogs must be kept on leads at all times for the protection of our native wildlife as well as their own. The only exception is at the `Warrigal Run' leash free area at Bungarribee. Restricted breeds and/or dogs declared as dangerous are not permitted within the leash free area.

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 pm

The group of cyclists who I went past this morning just North of the Canning Bridge. I was going North and they were going South. Came around a bend to find a group of about 20 racing along . One guy was on my side of the path in the middle of the bunch 3 wide with no were to go. If your on here you sir get my nomination for moron of the year and deserved every bit of abuse that came your way.
For such a busy morning on the paths especially from Fremantle to Windan Bridge via the South Perth bike path this was the only example of moronic riding that I encountered amongst lots of bunchs of cyclists but one that could have ended badly for all of us.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 am

WARNING: the NY resolutioners are out on the shared paths.

had a lady who was obviously out of shape shuffling along the MYT in front of me, as i made my way into work this morning. without warning or checking and upon reaching her turnaround point, she does a u-turn just as i'm about to start lining up an overtake. i do use my bell but she had the SOP headphones in.

i gave her some friendly (no, really it was friendly) advice as she ran past me, but she was either off on her own orbit or decided to ignore me. that ain't gonna make it hurt less if we collide love..

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

jules21 wrote:had a lady who was obviously out of shape shuffling along the MYT in front of me, as i made my way into work this morning. without warning or checking and upon reaching her turnaround point, she does a u-turn just as i'm about to start lining up an overtake. i do use my bell but she had the SOP headphones in.
I've never understood this. I run with earphones on, yet I stay to the left of the shared path and always check behind me before I change direction or turn right.

Are these the same people that step out onto the street without looking for cars?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:29 pm

MisuVir wrote:I've never understood this. I run with earphones on, yet I stay to the left of the shared path and always check behind me before I change direction or turn right.

Are these the same people that step out onto the street without looking for cars?
it seems likely. regular joggers are usually careful, i think the problems are mostly with people who venture onto shared paths infrequently. they don't get that they are used by cyclists and that while most of us do make a genuine effort to be safe, there's only so much i can do - when you just do a U-turn out of nowhere, my options are limited.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 pm

jules21 wrote:WARNING: the NY resolutioners are out on the shared paths.

had a lady who was obviously out of shape shuffling along the MYT in front of me, as i made my way into work this morning. without warning or checking and upon reaching her turnaround point, she does a u-turn just as i'm about to start lining up an overtake. i do use my bell but she had the SOP headphones in.

i gave her some friendly (no, really it was friendly) advice as she ran past me, but she was either off on her own orbit or decided to ignore me. that ain't gonna make it hurt less if we collide love..
I doubt you'll get a whole lot of love for those sentiments. I've expressed those thoughts before only to be told that pedestrians are vulnerable, and you know the rest... :roll:

Some of them are just silly - they have not a care in the world for what is happening around them.

It would be rather good to legislate to ban pedestrians from using headphones when walking or running, just as car drivers aren't allowed to use phones while driving.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:10 pm

g-boaf wrote:It would be rather good to legislate to ban pedestrians from using headphones when walking or running, just as car drivers aren't allowed to use phones while driving.
I reckon they should have rego. oh. wait.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:

I doubt you'll get a whole lot of love for those sentiments. I've expressed those thoughts before only to be told that pedestrians are vulnerable, and you know the rest... :roll:

Some of them are just silly - they have not a care in the world for what is happening around them.

It would be rather good to legislate to ban pedestrians from using headphones when walking or running, just as car drivers aren't allowed to use phones while driving.
I always find it very amusing when people can't empathise with being a pedestrian, even though we are all pedestrians. Just like drivers that run down pedestrians enroute to their car doors. I also do not think sharepaths are a good idea, nor do I think beyond "being on the footpath" should I have to continually practice vigilance as a pedestrian. More simply I just don't have the mental space for doing that every time I merely go for a walk, and it probably largely defeats the purpose of going for a walk.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:

FWIW Bizet would seem to have some sympathy for this viewpoint, if you squint at the lyrics in "Carmen" the right way. I've already shown how "Habanera" is about pedestrian/cyclist interaction (for small values of " peleshown"); coming soon is a similar treatment of "March of the Toreadors". Can't you just imagine it sung by a bunch of Lycra-clad roadies?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:35 pm

zero wrote:I always find it very amusing when people can't empathise with being a pedestrian, even though we are all pedestrians. Just like drivers that run down pedestrians enroute to their car doors. I also do not think sharepaths are a good idea, nor do I think beyond "being on the footpath" should I have to continually practice vigilance as a pedestrian. More simply I just don't have the mental space for doing that every time I merely go for a walk, and it probably largely defeats the purpose of going for a walk.
so why should i have to be so vigilant, riding on the road? it's one for us, another for them. i don't buy the "pedestrians are a protected species" argument. the value of human life doesn't change, depending on their mode of transport or the type of path/road they choose to use. i always find it ironic (or hypocritical) when pedestrians complain about close passes from cyclists - they're like "that's why cyclists don't deserve respect on the roads!" but in reality we don't get it anyway, they just think they're special.

having said that, i do support the strict liability collision rule for cyclists on shared paths. it should just be extended to motorists on the roads.