Does Mercedes-Benz make good bikes?

anonymousmoose

Does Mercedes-Benz make good bikes?

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:03 pm

This is not a 'buy' question, I already have a bike :) . I'm a big Mercedes car fan and found out they also make bicycles. Just wondering if they are actually any good?

http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/conten ... on_pdf.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone own one?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does Mercedes-Benz make good bikes?

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Except where certain car brands actually have a bicycle history such as peugeot, the bikes have tended to be branded. Top name brands with genuine branded bikes (lamborghini, ferrari, porsche, BMW) are typically good quality - the frames may be identical to a known brand who are behind the brand or they are limited edition unique for the car brand though typically a well known bike brand is behind them. In any case I have found them to be typically pricey - you are paying for the brand name. As a note, there are also the fakes like (fake) ferrari bikes.

With these bikes there has been significant effort to create a range which seems individual, they have expanded on previous years. On the road bike I was a bit uncertain about the roadbike specs, they talk about SRAM RED shifters... rather than groupset - and this is a 2011 catalogue with the old SRAM Red. It is noted as being a limited edition so was likely destined for MB dealers. The 26" MTB is still available for €3299

Pretty general info, and while top car brands would ensure they have quality gear, they tend to be in the business of cars and the bikes are an extra (what happens with warranty issues?)
Cycling is in my BNA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Basically what chris said. One of my brothers works at a Mercedes-Benz dealership and has seen them in the flesh, gave me a spare manual a few years ago, they are ok bikes, just HUGELY overpriced.

And i'm a Mercedes-Benz fan, i learnt to drive in a South African import W123 200M. Poor thing, a 2 litre 4 cylinder trying to move 2 and a bit tonnes of iron, but it sounded beautiful. By crikey they rust though, and the aircon is the first thing to die.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 pm

ldrcycles wrote:And i'm a Mercedes-Benz fan, i learnt to drive in a South African import W123 200M. Poor thing, a 2 litre 4 cylinder trying to move 2 and a bit tonnes of iron, but it sounded beautiful. By crikey they rust though, and the aircon is the first thing to die.
Nice! When I was growing up in Germany, they were the older models... I was born in 1980. I really liked them though. I got a w203 C200 Kompressor with factory AMG upgrades. Love driving it. Not fast, but it handles brilliantly.... still, since I got my bike this week, the car has been in the garage and the bike on the road :lol: (except for going to the office, I still drive... for now).

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 pm

I think we need to start a BNA Benz fangroup.
Cycling is in my BNA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

I finally saw one in the wild! Spotted at the 2013 Buderim 9 a couple of weeks ago.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I finally saw one in the wild! Spotted at the 2013 Buderim 9 a couple of weeks ago.
That's a very nice looking frame.
<removed by request>

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:39 pm

It doesn't look too bad. What does one of these weigh, and how much does it lessen the weight of your wallet? :wink:

The Lamborghini BMC and the Ferrari Colnago bikes are pretty decent. Peugeot makes some decent ones too nowadays, but they don't appear to sell them here.

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I finally saw one in the wild! Spotted at the 2013 Buderim 9 a couple of weeks ago.

Is that electrical tape on the ends of the 'bars?
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Marx wrote:
Is that electrical tape on the ends of the 'bars?
How gauche!

They must surrender the keys of their SLK to me immediately.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 pm

I would say it's a decent possibility it's past it's first owner, that seems to be the way with Mercedes-Benz cars at least, first owner spends squillions and pampers it, then sells it for peanuts to charlatans who let them go to wrack and ruin. Pity I didn't get a chance to meet the owner and find out which it was.

If it wasn't for the Benz sticker it would just look like a terribly dated no name chinese job :) .

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:07 am

ldrcycles wrote:
If it wasn't for the Benz sticker it would just look like a terribly dated no name chinese job :) .
:shock:
-----------------------

turtle rider

Postby turtle rider » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:17 am

A little off related topic , i know Ducati sell nice red looking pushbikes , not cheap but they do look pretty hot in the Ducati red. I think their bikes are designed as a accessory to having one of their high end motorbikes i.e if you don't feel like riding your motorbike to the coffee shop then take the pushie instead , arrive in style as cool as a cat !

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 am

It looks slow and heavy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote:If it wasn't for the Benz sticker it would just look like a terribly dated no name chinese job :) .
Which it almost certainly is...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Are they ridden by real estate agents as well?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:33 am

Mulger bill wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:If it wasn't for the Benz sticker it would just look like a terribly dated no name chinese job :) .
Which it almost certainly is...
Looks very similar to my old Fondriest RP3... which I'm sure was also available in no-name versions...
Lukeyboy wrote:It looks slow and heavy.
Quite heavy and very slow with me as the motor... :lol: :oops:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 am

turtle rider wrote:A little off related topic , i know Ducati sell nice red looking pushbikes , not cheap but they do look pretty hot in the Ducati red. I think their bikes are designed as a accessory to having one of their high end motorbikes i.e if you don't feel like riding your motorbike to the coffee shop then take the pushie instead , arrive in style as cool as a cat !
Ducati bicycles used to be rebadged Bianchis. Somewhere I've got a photo of Troy Bayliss racing in the Noosa Crit on one (he's a pretty handy pedal cyclist, as well as motor cyclist)

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:23 pm

DavidI wrote:
turtle rider wrote:A little off related topic , i know Ducati sell nice red looking pushbikes , not cheap but they do look pretty hot in the Ducati red. I think their bikes are designed as a accessory to having one of their high end motorbikes i.e if you don't feel like riding your motorbike to the coffee shop then take the pushie instead , arrive in style as cool as a cat !
Ducati bicycles used to be rebadged Bianchis. Somewhere I've got a photo of Troy Bayliss racing in the Noosa Crit on one (he's a pretty handy pedal cyclist, as well as motor cyclist)

Yep, they’re Bianchis.
Buy a Bianchi & put a Ducati sticker on it, or buy a Ducati & put a Bianchi sticker on it – whatever floats your boat (but remember it might not float anyone else’s...)
-----------------------