Alpine Classic 2014

grantw

Re: Alpine Classic 2014

Postby grantw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:36 pm

You'll be fine Shane ;-)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm going 53/39 and 30/12 cassette. I currently run a 28/11 and can climb everything with that however I want a bail out gear in case the legs are failing after 200+ kms
Got the longer cranks from the tt bike on the roadie at the moment also. I think they climb better but need to do some longer rides to see if I fatigue faster with them
Dogs are the best people :wink:

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:17 pm

A question for the AAC veterans - what food is typically available at the checkpoints? The usual menu of fruit, cakes, jam sandwiched, etc?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm interested in what food is supplied also? The ACE site doesn't appear to say.
Has anyone done both the ace250 and the three peaks challenge? What differences are there in the way the 2 are run?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:46 pm

A question for the AAC veterans - what food is typically available at the checkpoints? The usual menu of fruit, cakes, jam sandwiched, etc?
All of the above plus cordial and water of course. I think they do rolls in preference to sangers. However I don't touch their food as it gives me terrible reflux so I rely on gels, water and a weak mixture of staminade which I add to an occasional bidon. When I used to do the 200 ride I'd grab a coke and a salad roll at Bright on the way through and eat/drink that for some variety. YMMV but I'm amazed at what some people can scoff and still feel content inside.
OTH whatever you do, get your energy/food intake down pat before the big ride. Find out what works best for you as I rode with a guy on one 200kms Alpine and it was the "year of the barking dog". His stomach finally rebelled 6kms from the Buffalo summit after a mixture of energy and Audax food and despite my offer of assistance I left him on all fours by the side of road as he barked everything up! :shock: :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:27 pm

as uncle said there's food. i had problems last year in the heat but i think i just ate too much. they usually have bananas you can take for snacking along the way. you need to have food between the checkpoints, you can't afford to hunger flat.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:12 pm

warthog1 wrote:I'm interested in what food is supplied also? The ACE site doesn't appear to say.
Dinner Plain - cakes and bananas
Omeo - salad rolls, cakes, drinks, bananas
Falls Creek - a feast! Right when you need it most, there is a range of cakes, miniature quiches, sandwiches, rolls, rice pudding, a variety of fruit (the watermelon last time was faaaantastic), various hot drinks etc.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:46 am

Great detailed info thanks. Might carry 6 or so muesli bars and a tube of hydrolite tabs too.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:28 am

My personal favorite now is pitted dates. A lot smaller and they have everything you could want for such a small easily eaten package.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 am

singlespeedscott wrote:My personal favorite now is pitted dates. A lot smaller and they have everything you could want for such a small easily eaten package.
Sounds good. I would worry I would over indulge though and give myself a clean out half way up a climb or something :o :lol:
I might carry a limited number to eliminate this possibility :)

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am

I'm quite fond of a pitted date in my trail mix. Gotta be careful though, I've encountered many a pitted date with it's pit still in place.

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info! :D

Looks like there's a good variety of food available. I'm particularly fond of bananas so I think I'll be chowing down a few of those on the day.

I'm doing the sunrise over Buffalo ride and as far as I'm aware there won't be any food available on the mountain at that time, so I'll have to make sure I can fend for myself until I get back to Bright.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:10 pm

X-ray wrote: I'm doing the sunrise over Buffalo ride and as far as I'm aware there won't be any food available on the mountain at that time, so I'll have to make sure I can fend for myself until I get back to Bright.
Good (early) breakfast, one banana half way up Buffalo, another at the top, back in Bright for a second breakfast, pick up some pocket food, up to Falls for lunch, bit of a bump after Mount Beauty and you'll be back in Howitt Park ready for a swim in the river. Done :)
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm doing my 3rd ACE and this year hoping not to do a 3peat of Buffalo :-) It was disturbing looking at my Garmin seeing each lap get progressively slower as I tired and the day warmed in 2013.

Still - a good test for mental toughness. But I am looking forward to Back of Falls in a perverse kind of way. And I love sunrise of Hotham.

I did Fitz's 250 a few months ago, upgraded in a spur-of-the-moment decision the night before from the 200. Thinking I was doing the 200 I still had standard cranks on, whereas I would normally have switched over to compacts. Made it inside cutoff with just 15mins to spare with not much left in the tank. Note to self - do not do this ever again (upgrade that is) and especially not without an eating plan. I did the whole ride based on what they provided as food and didn't take some Hammer Perpeteum like I normally would.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:28 pm

respect Eleri for doing it with standard cranks! i'm also doing my 3rd ACE this year and i'm thinking about welding my compact cranks on ;)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

I'll definitely have compacts on for the ACE! I reckon I would have been way faster with them on for Fitz's. Besides, not sure I'd make it up the 14% bit of Back of Falls that goes on for ever. I reckon Say What hill first part would be OK because it's "relatively" short, but the slog after that is harder. In my view anyway. Just hoping it's not all too hot ...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Eleri wrote:I'm doing my 3rd ACE and this year hoping not to do a 3peat of Buffalo :-) It was disturbing looking at my Garmin seeing each lap get progressively slower as I tired and the day warmed in 2013.

Still - a good test for mental toughness. But I am looking forward to Back of Falls in a perverse kind of way. And I love sunrise of Hotham.

I did Fitz's 250 a few months ago, upgraded in a spur-of-the-moment decision the night before from the 200. Thinking I was doing the 200 I still had standard cranks on, whereas I would normally have switched over to compacts. Made it inside cutoff with just 15mins to spare with not much left in the tank. Note to self - do not do this ever again (upgrade that is) and especially not without an eating plan. I did the whole ride based on what they provided as food and didn't take some Hammer Perpeteum like I normally would.
Did the Fitz Extreme myself this year. I ran a standard 53/39 with a 12/30 cassette and ate only the food they provided, a handful of pitted dates and plain old water.

A compact is not nessasary with a large enough cassette and I am a firm believer that hacks like the majority of us really gain no benefit form formualted sport supplements if we eat correctly. Cyclists were doing 1200km rides back in the 1930's and were surviving just fine on normal food and a some considered training.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:26 pm

A compact is not nessasary with a large enough cassette and I am a firm believer that hacks like the majority of us really gain no benefit form formualted sport supplements if we eat correctly.
That may be true for you! However I'm mid 50s and female and in that stage of life where I lose muscle mass whatever I do. And I'm carrying just 12-13% body fat which is very low for a woman so easy for to me to run out of body fuel. Sure I did Fitz's on standards and no supplements so I CAN do it, just would have been faster and a lot less fatigued.

What I did notice recently was that I started using the sport supplement again a couple of weeks ago on a longer ride and I was remarkably fresher for longer than I was when eating normal foods. Probably because I was topping up all the time.

But perhaps that's just my physiology. Not sure about yours!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:33 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:My personal favorite now is pitted dates. A lot smaller and they have everything you could want for such a small easily eaten package.
Likewise. I always carry pitted dates for my longer rides. I've found they have one of the highest carbs to weight ratios of any food.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:58 pm

biker jk wrote:
Likewise. I always carry pitted dates for my longer rides. I've found they have one of the highest carbs to weight ratios of any food.
A nice taste alternative but just as convenient to carry are dried figs.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:33 am

biker jk wrote:
I have a feeling there is going to be an answer that makes me feel dumb but here goes anyway: how do you carry them? I imagine that carrying them loose in a back pocket will result in dates covered in lint and sweat and that carrying them in a bag or packet will make them hard to get hold of, fumbling around in a pocket.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:25 am

In a zip lock bag that's not zipped up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm going to try the pitted dates thanks SSS. How many did you scoff on the Fitz's for an idea?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:I'm going to try the pitted dates thanks SSS. How many did you scoff on the Fitz's for an idea?
I probably had 2 or 3 every checkpoint.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks.