Time To Take Plunge

rodneycc

Re: Time To Take Plunge

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Yeah think you might struggle to find one of those Orbeas in Perth.

What about something like this from trek crossway or one of their fx disc flatbar bikes

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/ro ... p_limited/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im noy normally a Trek kind of guy but for your requirements I like the look of it ( shame it wasnt in a flatbar)

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:28 pm

Ps think Bike Force does Trek in WA so maybe check one of their stores out.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 pm

PPS sorry for the typo should of read crossrip not crossway ( thats merida I think!)

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 am

Fyi Bike Force might also be your best bet to find your Orbea Carpe 20 as well

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 am

The Crossrip is getting a bit pricey for me I think. I have the FX on my list to try

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:53 am

PS Liked the Orbea frame warranty...very plain and simple no outs.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 am

Yeah like the carpe 20. Good components on that one also.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:18 am

Maybe I need to decide and go and get sized somewhere and order in or something...So hard. I really like the look of the 20 and as you say the spec is good, the frame warranty suits me and the price is reasonably good.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 pm

I'd go for a few test rides first on the others and then if you can't find anything with the right fit or feel or component level then consider ordering it in. Or if a shop can order one in without having to commit to the sale then that would be ideal. Just a bit risky buying unseen or untested imo.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:09 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Maybe I need to decide and go and get sized somewhere and order in or something...So hard. I really like the look of the 20 and as you say the spec is good, the frame warranty suits me and the price is reasonably good.
Got a friend or rello willing to help you get intimate with a tailors tape? Head over HERE and go nuts.
Not absolute but will get much of the populace pretty damn close.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Re dropped bars, IMO they offer a far superior ability to check behind. Far faster than twisting the neck around whether you are on a bike or in a car, you minimise greatly the time that your attention is off the front. And it reduces the lateral movement in the direction of your twisted head. You may find that you are inclined to drift, at least for a while.

Wrt as-yet-existant back issues, I don't know that flat bars are any better than on drops, just different. Sitting upright on a device that transmits the shock of the road up the seat and thru your butt to a straight spine aligned in the direction of the impulse is not without it's risks either.

I have found that riding every day, all year and with no allowance for weather, times or anything else so normalises riding that I have only had a three day spell in four (or is it five?) when I did not take the bike to and from work due to ann infected locked up knee. Otherwise it is M-F regardless of everything. (My wife brings in fresh shirts and the kids are all somewhat independent now.) :mrgreen: ).

Your own situation may make it more difficult. But as a strategy to take the fluctuating motivation out of the equation it is a surefire winner if you can manage it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:40 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I have found that riding every day, all year and with no allowance for weather, times or anything else so normalises riding that I have only had a three day spell in four (or is it five?) when I did not take the bike to and from work due to ann infected locked up knee. Otherwise it is M-F regardless of everything. (My wife brings in fresh shirts and the kids are all somewhat independent now.) :mrgreen: ).

Your own situation may make it more difficult. But as a strategy to take the fluctuating motivation out of the equation it is a surefire winner if you can manage it.
Thanks Colin. Kind of half my thinking. I am somewhat dubious about thunderstorms and gales, but hey I used to wander about in the bush in worse and I survived.

The most difficult part for me is meetings either first up or last thing. Fortunately now most people who want to see me, want to see me, not the other way around so it does mean I have a little more control than I did ten years ago.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Definitely don't write off dropbars DT. There is serious confidence in having narrower handlebars when negotiating bollards or filtering cars, because your hands are on the outside. Your body doesn't want to smack itself so you will sense the space better. You psychologically don't want to go high side from bumping your flatbar grips, but unless your hands are on the outside with those vertical grips, you are exposing yourself to a genetic limitation. It's not significant now, but could make a difference. Given your situation, you'll get more mileage from an unusual stem setup while your back gets accustomed to the ride. You'll naturally want to go down as you increase in speed, because a few rides in extreme wind (it will happen) will teach you that being bolt upright on a flatbar suuuuuuuuuucks. How to turn a 20kmh commute into a 8kmh commute.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 pm

How to turn a 20kmh commute into a 8kmh commute.
8 kmh sounds quickish to me at the moment.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Tried a Merida Speedster T2, not a patch on the Sirrus, interesting to ride a cheaper bike as it provided a contrast.

The road I rode on was in good condition and even then I felt significant road vibrations I have never noticed on my Schwinn or the other bikes I rode. Interesting, wouldnt think the difference would be so big between a $600 and $1200 bike. Thought it would be more about the gear and fittings, not the ride quality.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:42 pm

dynamictiger wrote:
How to turn a 20kmh commute into a 8kmh commute.
8 kmh sounds quickish to me at the moment.
It does today. But if you are riding more than once a fortnight, you'll shed 20kgs over the next couple of years and possibly regret locking yourself into the flatbar. You can get a drop bar with a very forgiving setup that can be made more aggressive over time. If you are feeling 8kmh is going to be a challenge, then consider how much you really want to be dedicating to internal suspension - the more you sit up, the less your legs are absorbing the bumps. It's going straight through your back. Slower you go, the worse the bumps are.

Either way, you'll get a great bike if you take the time to ride a couple and feel it out. Would definitely be a good idea to try a drop bar in your price range set up nice and relaxed, just remember it will feel weird initially.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Xplora wrote:Either way, you'll get a great bike if you take the time to ride a couple and feel it out. Would definitely be a good idea to try a drop bar in your price range set up nice and relaxed, just remember it will feel weird initially.
Thanks Xplora. My Schwinn is a drop bar. I just find it a bit hard on my hands and thought a more upright bike would be better. My hands are particularly sensitive as they have been broken a few times in one way or another...never by fights though. Interesting story there about being in hospital with broken finger and turn to the bloke next to you and say...howd you break yours? The answer is inevidently fighting. I have the distinction of never breaking my hands this way.

rjk

Postby rjk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:50 pm

dont write of a cx bike, its a bit more robust than a roadie, most come with cable discs and have the ability to run wider tyres.

most come with rack mounts and braze on to mount what ever you like to it.

and nthe best bit of all the interrupter brakes are great for communting as you are able to sit up like a flat bar and brake from there.

i honestly believe that cx bikes make the best all round commuters
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:37 pm

+1
Think you'll find it the best of both worlds. A little more upright and wider tyres for comfort. Doesn't have to be the exy Trek Crossrip Ltd but something similar but a little lower grade CX.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:50 pm

rodneycc wrote:+1
Think you'll find it the best of both worlds. A little more upright and wider tyres for comfort. Doesn't have to be the exy Trek Crossrip Ltd but something similar but a little lower grade CX.
Trek Crossrip Ltd is okay price wise still, and if I find a store that takes Certigy Ezi-Pay it is even bettera...

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm

I must also comment, whilst as I said my technical know how on bikes relates to the sterring end has the bell on it, I am not totally mechanically silly. I just have other more important things in my life to worry about than the name of the widgets on my bike and whether 24 is better than 28, and if I do get interested it will be to this depth.

On the other hand, I stood in a shop yesterday and watched in utter disgust as the sales person helped himself to the customers wallet instead of helping the customer with her issues.

I dont know enough to be confident to tell the shop assistant to take a hike, but I do know enough to know I will not deal with this shop ever again.

Its okay for shops to be knowledgable and experts on their products and services as long as it is used equally to benefit all their clients and not just those that know what they are doing. I know its off topic, but my little whinge thats all.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Cmon mate name and shame that shop. I think a few people would be interested me included.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 pm

rodneycc wrote:Cmon mate name and shame that shop.
That would be frowned upon by the admin.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Ok what about in the good and bad purchasing experiences thread then?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 pm

rodneycc wrote:Ok what about in the good and bad purchasing experiences thread then?

Negative.
PMs are good in this situation as is DT taking a leaf from the cryptic crossword authors guidebook. :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011