"Credit card" Touring

Bjarne

"Credit card" Touring

Postby Bjarne » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Euro biker here flying down to ride Adelaide to Sydney in a few weeks time. Bringing my road bike and will tour as light as possible,
so not bringing a tent. Cheap accomodation is what I'll be looking for and it seems like there's plenty of backpacker hostels ? Or are they only
in bigger towns ? Will try Warmshowers, but I often hate planning too much ahead of time. Often decide on the days route in the morning and never know how far I'll go.
I've read a few places that many pubs often have reasonably priced rooms, but I can't google me to much info on this. Is this the case ? Any idea what they
charge.. ? Would they advertise for this ?

Cheers

Aushiker

Re: "Credit card" Touring

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 am

Hi

Here in Western Australia I find motels/hotels generally charge around $100 give or take $20 a night. Of course you may pay less or more depending on the town. Backpackers tend to be in the bigger towns with more of a tourism focus.

This may vary over east but.

Andrew

Bjarne

Postby Bjarne » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks, but spending 100 or more is out of the question for my budget.

Womdering what cheap, if any, alternatives there is if I can't find a hostel or Warmshower host ?

Is it too crazy to sleep outside this time of year ? Just bring a sleeping bag and mat and find a bench... Too many crawley-critters crawling all over me
during the night ?

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 am

You could easily sleep outside in most places but you would need an insect net. Many sports field in towns will have public toilets and showers.

I reckon you would find a room in a pub in most towns. No idea on the cost because I've not done it.

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 am

Pub rooms range from $50-70 a night in my experience.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 am

Country pubs are often quite reasonably priced and there are really not so many backpackers hostels and cheap B&Bs once you get away from the larger centres and major tourist areas

BUUT... which route are you proposing from Adelaide to Sydney? The most direct route travels through semi-desert areas and has very little in the way of towns out there. Even following the more settled coastal route there are sections where the towns are few and fairly small. Riding the main highways is really mind-numbingly boring and you get little idea of the real Australia, nor the better scenery.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Bjarne

Postby Bjarne » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:34 am

Thinking of riding the GO road along the coast and bypass Melbourne by taking a ferry across.
Not sure on the other side, but think I want to head through the national parks and mountains. try to avoid the
Princess highway which doesn't sound to appealing...lol
A tent would definitely give me more options and freedom... just a question if I want to haul it along or pay the nig bucks..
Anyone use a Bivi bag ?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 am

In eastern Victoria, once you go into the mountains you are probably going to need to camp. Personally I could not stand tryng to live in a bivvy bag :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

"Credit card" Touring

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 am

PM me your email address and I send a detailed Melbourne - Sydney route.

Adelaide to Melbourne on a road bike you should be able to comfortable cover the distances between towns on the coastal route. Many country pubs offer cheap rooms and meals but probably won't have an internet presence. Just go in and ask - as I recall it's a condition of a pub licence that they offer accommodation. Otherwise many towns would have a caravan park with vans or cabins to let. Bigger towns will probably have a backpacker or two.

Wing it - you'll be fine.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

stevage11

Postby stevage11 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Bjarne wrote:Euro biker here flying down to ride Adelaide to Sydney in a few weeks time. Bringing my road bike and will tour as light as possible,
so not bringing a tent. Cheap accomodation is what I'll be looking for and it seems like there's plenty of backpacker hostels ? Or are they only
in bigger towns ? Will try Warmshowers, but I often hate planning too much ahead of time. Often decide on the days route in the morning and never know how far I'll go.
I've read a few places that many pubs often have reasonably priced rooms, but I can't google me to much info on this. Is this the case ? Any idea what they
charge.. ? Would they advertise for this ?

Cheers
I'd bring a sleeping mat (Exped Synmat is light, super comfy and $150), a light sleeping bag or this, and sleep outside whenever you get the chance. Best way to get info on pub accommodation is to find the phone number and ring them up. Often if you ask a publican for advice on stealth camping, they'll have a good spot for you. (I slept this way on the lawn of the Merrijig pub once...)

Very few hostels outside touristy areas.