NZ - South Island

obikiller

NZ - South Island

Postby obikiller » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi guys!
After my tour of Tasmania, in january, i'll be heading to Christchurch to explore the south island of NZ. I'll obviously carry my bike and all the gears i need to ride around there.
I saw in few website of supported bike tours that they all go to Canterbury and Central Otago.
I'll spend there 3 full weeks: what would you recommend to do and see?
grazie!

Matteo

Warin

Re: NZ - South Island

Postby Warin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 am

4 weeks ...

Clockwise

Arthur's Pass - west to east to get the wind !!! eg pedaling uphill 6km/h .. turn corner, stop pedaling - spread wings - 12 km/h same grade! :)

West coast can be wet - one place gets 10 meters of rain per year. Don't pitch your tent in a hollow.

RonK

NZ - South Island

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 am

New Zealand is a much bigger land than it appears on the the map. I have made two four-week tours and still need to do another to finish the northern parts of South Island. You could perhaps do it quicker but you would be riding hard and not seeing much.

You will find plenty of information in my tour journals.

Chasing the Long White Cloud
Gone Fishing
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

obikiller

Postby obikiller » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info!
Btw i know that i won't be able to see everything, i'm not going for that purpose. I'm asking you this in order to be able to focus on the most beatiful and/or interesting part of the south island in terms of scenery, weather, etc :)

RonK

NZ - South Island

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Then you need to ride through Canterbury and Central Otago to Lake Tekapo in Mackenzie Country, in to Aoraki/Mount Cook then on to Wanaka and Queenstown, take a bus tour to Milford Sound then head back up the West Coast and return to CHCH across Arthurs Pass - all covered in my journals.

That route will show you farmlands, forests, rivers, lakes, fiords, the Southern Alps and the wild west coast. Arguably the best of the best.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 pm

RonK wrote:Then you need to ride through Canterbury and Central Otago to Lake Tekapo in Mackenzie Country, in to Mt Cook then on to Wanaka and Queenstown, take a bus tour to Milford Sound then head back up the West Coast and return to CHCH across Arthurs Pass - all covered in my journals.
I have driven that area yet to see a prettier place I'd love to ride it sometime

FKS

Postby FKS » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Start at CHCH go up to Kaikoura on the inland route, backtrack to Hanmar Springs, across Lewis Pass to Greymouth then over Arthurs Pass to the Canterbury Plains and the Banks Peninsula, You will see a good variety of the Sth Is landscape. Link to a trip I did in 2003

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/NZ-Jan-2003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;