Etiquette for greeting cyclists

clackers

Re: Etiquette for greeting cyclists

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:43 am

I think the number of riders encountered on your trip mean a great deal.

Very antisocial if you don't exchange words with the only guy you've seen all day along a bush trail.

Very weird if you're giving out the solidarity Raised Fist to everyone during rush hour on St Kilda Road.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:43 pm

MarkG wrote:I usually just blow a kiss to oncoming riders
I reserve that for bogun idiots who tailgate or, if I had need to, motorists trying toimtimidate me.

It pi$$es them right off. :mrgreen: Works far better than the finger.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I had a bloke sleeping rough called me over as I rode by this morning so we had a chat. If someone can be bothered to acknowledge me I try to do the same.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

westab

Postby westab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:39 pm

I usually say "hi" or "morning" or wave if I have no breath, always trying to be friendly.

I have a couple of examples example of how not to do it;

1. I was getting on the M7 shared pathway turning right - speed below 5km/h as it is a sharp turn and near a bridge with poor visability (right foot unclipped as usual) cyclist approaching at a reasonable speed from my left yells "LOOK OUT" very rude - I had seen him and was stopped. Funny enough I had no problem catching him panniers and all to say "goooood morning" the :roll: I got made me happy.

2. Riding home after work with a workmate (two abreast) a guy on a nice CF bike with an "Eddy Sallis" jersey drafted behind me within a wheel length for about a hundred meters and then passing within about a handwidth said loudly - "BEEP BEEP". Not realy rude but was kind of putting us down.

Both these two would have been better to say nothing - friendly is always good; but alway be aware not everyone will see, be able to reply, or want to. If your friendly I think that is all you can do. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Timbo1

Postby Timbo1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm

I nearly always say g'day or give a wave. Probably about 3/4 of the time I get a good response back. There is a few people though who look right at you and you can tell they are thinking what a tosser. However I was passing an older rider and said g'day and scared the crap out him and he proceeded to curse at me and tried to tail me muttering insults. So I had to blaze him on the hill we were coming up to. Was really quite awkward.

sminns

Postby sminns » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:15 pm

bollo wrote:from someone that has come from 15 or so years of motorbike riding & noding my head at all who ride ( except harley riders ;-) ) when riding my push bike (roady) i not & wave to all & it still spins me out after a few years of riding that people are so caught up in them selves that they cannot acknowledge others & return the nod or wave , to say that they are hard at it & concentrating is a joke & i tend to think wonderful person but thats just my opinion
I'm exactly the same, motorbike coming to cycling. Big difference in the greetings!

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

clackers wrote:I think the number of riders encountered on your trip mean a great deal.

Very antisocial if you don't exchange words with the only guy you've seen all day along a bush trail.

Very weird if you're giving out the solidarity Raised Fist to everyone during rush hour on St Kilda Road.
Agree. When I moved to Tasmania I noticed that people were generally more courteous than those on the mainland. I mentioned this observation to a fellow cyclist, and he quickly explained the reason for this:-

"We are all related, and dont want to offend a relative"

:D :D :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:53 pm

master6 wrote: When I moved to Tasmania I noticed that people were generally more courteous than those on the mainland. I mentioned this observation to a fellow cyclist, and he quickly explained the reason for this:-

"We are all related, and dont want to offend a relative"

:D :D :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Had a great experience yesterday in Eastwood in the late morning. My friend had a flat tyre, so we pulled over to figure out what to do. A bunch of serious, lycra-clad expensive-bike riders all stopped and asked if we needed help or assistance - to that group, a big thank you for being so courteous!!!

Later on in the day after repairing the flat, we were travelling over Anzac bridge and noticed another rider with a problem. So, we all stopped, asked if she needed assistance.

It's these kinds of experiences that make me love cycling and feel like we're part of a normally friendly community :D (despite how the media might portray us as angry road warriors)

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm

nomadicsoul wrote:It's these kinds of experiences that make me love cycling and feel like we're part of a normally friendly community :D (despite how the media might portray us as angry road warriors)
Absolutely. There's always help out there if you need it. Not long ago I was just on a normal commute to work and came across a woman on the side of the path inspecting her bike. I asked her if she needed any help and she said she couldn't shift her gears down. I gave it a click and it worked and she looked so sheepish. She hadn't ridden in months and had forgotten how STI levers work.

I've been on the side of the road many times swapping a tube and it's almost like people are falling over each other to lend a hand.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Agree with the last two replies. I've had the same experiences. And so if I see someone stopped, I always ask if they need assistance.

I'm always amazed at how nice the cycling community is. Once you get away from the online forums with people trolling, stirring things up and the like, it's wonderful.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:15 am

g-boaf wrote:I'm always amazed at how nice the cycling community is. Once you get away from the online forums with people trolling, stirring things up and the like, it's wonderful.

Stick with BNA g-boaf; such bad behaviour would never happen here :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Cheers to the guy this afternoon in Greystanes on the bike with the rack on the front of it who held a rather nice conversation with me as I walked back with my bike after a puncture.

You made the final one point something kilometres of my walk seem much shorter! :D Very nice talking with you. 8)

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I tend to nod to cyclists on the road, don't really bother if i'm on a path mainly because there are far too many cyclists and generally they don't respond back.

Have had the odd experience of a hand slap while riding, only once and it still amazes me that it happened with a complete stranger.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 am

On my morning commute, the commuters are an earnest mob. I'm lucky to get a head nod or a smile out of them. Same thing in the afternoon.

It was entirely different down south when I went on an early Christmas morning 100km ride. Almost everyone was very friendly and very chatty and there were heaps of cyclists out. But then, it was Christmas, so ... :|
<removed by request>

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks to the guy on the lane cove national park trail in behind cheltenham/north epping for warning me about the snakes yesterday - luckily I saw none. Was able to pass on a warning about some idiot who had a few hours before set fire to the park further down in the trail. I cam zipping up around a corner only to see a bunch of firies and police, and the smell of burnt out bush.

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Hello to the guy in the yellow jersey and the guy heading off to cherry brook whilst waiting at the Beecroft M2 exit lights today! Certainly gave me a work out trying to keep up with you! haha! :D

markusm

Postby markusm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:38 pm

A brief wave and a "g'day". If I'm on my mountain bike I'll get a reply, on the road bike I won't, they'll just look down to see what brand my bike is.

AJ.ROK

Postby AJ.ROK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm also fairly new and would like to know,
1. Let's say its a headwind and you catch a couple of riders together, is it ok to sit behind them for a few ks ?
2. Let's say its a headwind and you catch a single rider, is the same OK ?

Cheers
Adam

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:25 pm

AJ.ROK wrote:I'm also fairly new and would like to know,
1. Let's say its a headwind and you catch a couple of riders together, is it ok to sit behind them for a few ks ?

Cheers
Adam
im not a fan of sitting behind riders I don't know, you don't know there riding style, how they brake, turn etc
IMO if you have caught someone you are faster than them, just keep going around them at the same speed and get away from them. If they try and latch onto you then its time to put the hammer down and get them off your wheel

RonK

Etiquette for greeting cyclists

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 am

AJ.ROK wrote:I'm also fairly new and would like to know,
Common courtesy and good manners is all that is required. Let them know you are there, ask do they mind, offer to take a turn.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 am

I don't ride at a pace I can't maintain, do I'd cruise around, say good morning as I passed and just keep riding. If they want to sit on I don't mind.
Similarly, if I get passed I'll often jump on at least for a few km.

To other riders, I usually give a nod and/or mini wave (flick of the wrist on the bars). I'd say 90% of the time I get no return and often the retards just stare back blankly...

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:18 am

I find if I'm doing a challenging climb I'll get greetings from most even if I'm at my daggiest and struggling. Otherwise, I'll wave or nod but not necessarily expect a response. Involuntary grins almost always get a return grin but they're .. ah .. involuntary :-)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 pm

KGB wrote:I'd say 90% of the time I get no return and often the retards just stare back blankly...
For reasons that puzzle me, ego and snobbery seem to be a more common vibe in cycling circles these days, (sheesh, I'm sounding like an old grump); but I think it has something to do with it.
OTOH, I think when there are large volumes of riders, like Bobbin Hd Rd weekend morns., there are so many riders that it's almost superfluous. When it gets to me most is when a lone rider, or small group, pass on an otherwise deserted route, feels kinda weird to be passed without a basic greeting. But I now expect nothing, and get a pleasant surprise when there's a 'good morning'. Better mind set. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:27 am

Yesterday heading down McCarrs Creek Rd at about 45kmh I had a woman in a green Toyota come up behind me about 80m before the turnoff into the start of Duck Holes track. To remove any doubt I stuck my arm out to indicate a right turn so she wouldn't try to overtake as I turned.

She just stood on the horn and went anyway!

To the roadie coming up the hill who gave her a huge mouthful on my behalf, and me a nod and a wave afterwards, thankyou. :)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk