Pedal dilemma

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
moosterbounce

Pedal dilemma

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Buying section, but I'll start here.

Some background...had both knees under the knife at the end of August last year. Medial meniscal tears in both resulting in about 30% removal of the meniscus. I was advised 6-12 months rehab to return to what it was, but closer to 12 probably due to having both done at once - this is mainly due to "bad days" never being in sync resulting in more days of not being able to complete rehab exercises. I was back on the bike in week 3 albeit slowly but I've been building ever since.

I'm currently having some issues with increased pain in my left knee that is either caused by quad tightness and made worse by the delicate state of my knee, or I buggered it again when I moved house. The jury is still out on this but it is improving so I'm hoping the former.

I have 3 bikes and ride 2 regularly (the tt bike is on the trainer and I'm not riding that ATM due to fabulous Perth weather). One bike - Time ZXRS - runs Time pedals which I've been using for the last 5 years or so. The same pedals are on my tt bike. I used by tt bike on the trainer initially until I was given the ok to ride the road (6 weeks ish) and I've not had any issues on either bike. I'm currently riding the Time up to 30kms and Strava says I'm getting faster most rides and I'm able to push as much as current fitness allows including standing on pedals and pushing up short hills. I get off the bike and feel no (or a small amount) of discomfort.

My other bike is a CAADX running m520 pedals. I have used 2 pairs of shoes with these pedals and Am finding it hurts like hell. Commuted yesterday - 12km each way, not pushing, and was sore on the inside of both knees for some time after both trps. Saddle height is the same on all bikes, reach is shorter on the cx bike as its set up to be a relaxed commuter ride, not a race monster. Both have 170 cranks.

I've been trying to work out why the caadx is hurting both knees. I don't think it's fit as all was fine pre-knife, but I did remember never being completely comfy in mtb shoes. So I looked into that. I changed shoes, made sure the cleats were back and centred, then moved cleats to the outside of my foot and same thing. I wondered if it was the smaller pedal platform and I've not discounted that I'm also wondering if it is related to the width of the pedals fro bottom bracket I measured my times from The crank to pedal centre and found about a 1cm difference with the m520s being wider.

My next plan was to switch pedals and try out a set of Time's on the caadx, but I haven't got that far yet.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and whether I'm nuts to think the pedals would make this difference. If the pedal swap makes a difference (assuming I can get them all off!!), should I go for the same ones (technically Time rxs pedals arent made anymore but there are similar) and road shoes, or is there a mtb pedal which isn't so sticky-outy?

Sith1

Re: Pedal dilemma

Postby Sith1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:21 am

The float in the Time pedals will only help and not restrict and constrict movement of the knees thru a full range movement. Check with a plumb measure if you are valgus varus with Mr.Moo to help.
To eleviate some tension on your knees stay on the TIME pedals and raise your saddle by 3-5mm

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 am

I concur with Sith (a bit) and try put your saddle up a bit.. Be careful as your knees are obviously delicate, and listen to them. Some people find running saddle heights bordering on a bit high, good for their knees as it takes a bit of the rotational moments away from the knee (to the detriment of other areas tho). One could argue however, that if this indeed does help then your cleat position isn't optimal.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 am

moosterbounce wrote:I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and whether I'm nuts to think the pedals would make this difference.
I had the same problem years ago, but in reverse - I could ride 100km on my hybrid (XTR cranks) without problems, but 15km on a roadie with the same pedals killed my right knee. I started with "knee savers" and eventually went to different pedals with a longer axle.