Video Camera who uses one?

JBark

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby JBark » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Cowcorner wrote:The second one is still going 16 months later but with a slightly fuzzy picture now - I suspect from being dropped once too often.
When I was using an 808, I noticed the same thing. Turned out to just be grime collecting on the lens inside the tiny hole on the case. Best way I found to clean it was using a kleenex wrapped around a toothpick.

The 808s also have a focus ring you can get to by opening the case, but I seem to remember it being pretty touchy, so ymmv when it comes to adjusting it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Andrew

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Actually the helmet laws make it very clear only As2063 compliant helmets are valid.

If you have a crash with a helmet cam, you could be responsible for your injuries as much as people who don't wear seat belts are.

Also, if police pull you up over it - its as of you aren't even wearing a helmet. The law is you have to have a compliant helmet, attaching the camera puts you in the same class as no helmet. The guy who filmed it got a fine for no helmet, $300 and 3 points.

Remember if the cops want to ping you for something they usually can. I got pinged for no bell in qld by cops at RBT...

As for cameras, i have found the md80 to be useless. Maybe i got a dud battery, but i cant even get it to record for more than 15 minutes, plus sometimes hard pumps turns it off.

I had a 720p posiedon action cam which was great value for $80 UsD, submersiblea and drop proof, still going strong, unfortuently all the mounts i have for it broke from stress - as they were just plastic click in things.

I am looking forward to getting mobius. I have some go pros at work and im not impressed much with them, seem way over priced. The hero 3 plus 4k is pretty amazing and the wifi is cool and all, but i would rather have 8 mobis cams for that price.

cage

Postby cage » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:26 pm

The jury is still out as to whether its legal or not.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:20 pm

I got my mobius today and I am blown away by the image quality. I can't tell the difference between it and go pro for 1080p, I was expecting it to be grainy since it was so cheap.

Will certainly be getting more. If only they had a decent case for it that was wheatherproof.

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:03 pm

My second Mobius arrived after the first one crapped itself - so far no audio issues like first time round - fingers crossed it stays alive :D

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

yeah plastic mounts arent really for extended use in harsh environments! The constant shock just keeps eating away at them - of course a nice light weight camera really extends that, but go for metal!

My Exdreme has been going solid for >1yr now, still get 2.5hrs of recording from the battery (screen on) - so havent switched to the mobius yet (less battery & not waterproof.
Might fab up a mount for the rear & replace the MD80.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Received my TCL SVC200 over xmas and very happy with it.
On my handlebars the mount that comes with it appears to be sturdy but there is way too much vibration.
Got a K-Edge Go Big mount this week and this has made a massive difference.

Next task is to get a decent external battery for it as currently it lasts about 2 hours.

I'll take some photos in a few days.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:50 pm

cage wrote:The jury is still out as to whether its legal or not.
On the front page of the West Australian the other day was an article about police on unmarked motorbikes catching drivers using their mobile phone. The police are using helmet cameras to record the infringements. Not sure if they have been designed to be compliant, maybe they aren't or don't need to be...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-19/p ... as/5167980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI I think they caught 630 offenders over Christmas!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Mobius waterproof case .... Details in the RC Groups forums and at JooVuu

Andrew

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:14 am

Tried some unusual GoPro mounting options on a ski trip last week, including on the rear of the helmet pointing backwards.

Here's a sample (includes a stack!)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:26 am

The rear facing footage is pretty good, the other skier remains centred and there is some movement, but not as much as I would have expected. Were you consciously trying to avoid movement while skiing and getting that footage?
Cycling is in my BNA

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 am

Yeah that's what we were trying for, but as you suggest, we thought it would come out pretty wobbly.

So it was a bit of a surprise to see that the rearward footage was much better than expected.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 am

herzog wrote:Yeah that's what we were trying for, but as you suggest, we thought it would come out pretty wobbly.

So it was a bit of a surprise to see that the rearward footage was much better than expected.
How's it attached for the rear shot? That might be the best way to get powder shots without having to waste time getting someone down the slope first and set up.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:19 pm

How's it attached for the rear shot? That might be the best way to get powder shots without having to waste time getting someone down the slope first and set up.
We used a regular Gopro adhesive mount (the curved one) and stuck it to the back of a helmet, just below the guide for the goggle strap.

It seemed pretty secure, the main concern was around the expected movement of the skiers head. Luckily it turned out to be minimal.

Definitely an angle worth experimenting with.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

This looks interesting, the Fly6 ... claiming five hours of battery life. Available in Australia only, Q2 2014 for $169. BTW it looks like the company is based in WA.

Andrew
I really like this one! I have emailed the company with some questions which they were very happy and quick to answer. One of those was were they planning a front mounted unit using the same concept and the answer was yes!

There are 150 units of the rear camera currently being tested around the country with sales to the general public expected in April/May.

Going grab one to try.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am

ALDI are doing glasses cam, claimed life of 2hrs. http://goo.gl/90cKvJ hmmm but are they any good as sunnies?

kx315

Postby kx315 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 am

Wakatuki wrote:ALDI are doing glasses cam, claimed life of 2hrs. http://goo.gl/90cKvJ hmmm but are they any good as sunnies?

From reports in the Aldi specials thread they are not a good camera .
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:16 pm

They look almost identical to the ones I got from Kogan for $30.

The video is ok, but it is a little bit sensitive to how you press the buttons in that if you hold on for too long, or press the other button too soon it crashes the system and you lose that bit of footage.

The worst thing about them is that your head hardly ever points in the same direction as your eyes. A typical position on a road bike has the glasses pointing at the ground only a few metres in front of you. A head check doesn't show cars approaching from behind you. I still use it to record the fact of a head check, to refute the 'he swung out in front of me without looking' argument. They work much better on my sit-up-and-beg roadster which is the only bike that I run them as the only camera on.

Cheers,

Cameron

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:Mobius waterproof case .... Details in the RC Groups forums and at JooVuu

Andrew
Nice find Andrew, i've had my mobius arrive this week and i've played with the helmet & car windscreen mount so far, but yet to use the handlebar mount. A decent waterproof case for this little beauty is a godsend and it looks like JooVuu has done a decent bit of R&D and seems to be quite open to suggestions for improvements. Outstanding job if it really is IP67 certified, waterproof to 20m depth is a damn long way. I'm very tempted to purchase a case as they appear to be only about AU$30 + shipping.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Shimano are joining the fray with the Shimano CM-1000 Sport Camera according to Bike Radar.

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:23 pm

The Sony is interesting as it is waterproof to 10m - so no protective waterproof case needed. This makes it a more compact unit for everyday use.
It has a different form, not a block or tube so could have advantages (or disadvantages) for cycling.

Cost will be $349 and due in Australia in May 2014.
Cycling is in my BNA

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The Sony is interesting as it is waterproof to 10m - so no protective waterproof case needed. This makes it a more compact unit for everyday use.
It has a different form, not a block or tube so could have advantages (or disadvantages) for cycling.

Cost will be $349 and due in Australia in May 2014.
Looks interesting. $349 puts it up there almost to GoPro pricing (but not quite) so it will need to have excellent quality video. The bike radar write up mentions other features too which may make it worth the price for some.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:Shimano are joining the fray with the Shimano CM-1000 Sport Camera according to Bike Radar.
All it needs is GPS and exportable rides and I can ditch the cycle computer/camera combo for one device!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 am

With WiFi I am finding that this affects the battery life so with GPS you would record it and connect it up later. Depends what you need the cycle computer for.
Cycling is in my BNA