Buying new home - commuting to CBD from North of the River?

sarahactivated

Buying new home - commuting to CBD from North of the River?

Postby sarahactivated » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi forum,

I'm looking to buy a new home and the location is very important for me. For the past couple of weeks I've been trawling real estate websites and I've been pretty ruthless with my choices because I don't want to be more than 10 km from the CBD. What is it like, for example, to cycle from Yokine to the CBD? Are there safe cycle paths? If not, which road would you use? Other suburbs I'm looking at (and can afford!) are Tuart Hill and Maylands.

I've been using Google Maps as a rough guide but I find that it's not accurate. My current commute (from South of the River) on Google Maps says it takes 34 minutes when in reality it only takes me 20. So that 15 minute discrepancy actually counts for a lot in my house search.

What are your personal experiences commuting from North of the River?

Thanks heaps,
Sar
Sarah - Perth WA

vinski

Re: Buying new home - commuting to CBD from North of the Riv

Postby vinski » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm

I commute from Morley - depending on which route i take it varies from just over 9kms to around 12kms...anywhere from 25-35mins timewise. Yokine/Tuart Hill would be a straight shot down wanneroo rd/charles st into the city on the road, no bike paths there. Maylands you will have the bike path that runs along the midland train line, i ride along here sometimes getting off at either maylands or bayswater and then onto side streets to morley.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 pm

When I bought 10 years ago, I had the loose guideline of being within a 20km radius of the CBD for the very same reason.

As it turns out I probably ended up about ~12km as the crow flies. But half the fun finding the optimal route is exploring. I found after a while it's good to break it up a bit for variety. Remember that on a bike, your options for 'rat runs' avoiding traffic nightmare spots are a lot better than when you're in a Smoke-box.

I wouldn't be too fazed about a commute of anywhere upto an hour, TBH. Depending on your fitness levels, divide it up a bit at first. Say just a couple of days a week. Think of time spent on the bike as much better quality time than sitting in the car. My last commute (not into the CBDeebies) by car was 20+ minutes on a bad day. I'd still sooner spend that as 45+ plus on the treadly.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Im in Alexander Heights/Marangaroo - 17kms door to door, no paths my way. I take mirrabooka ave/flinders/charles into the city, about 34mins.

If you dont like roads and want to keep to paths, have a look at either being close to the ocean (pricy), or near the freeway PSP, or as suggested above, the cycle path that follows the trainline near Maylands.

Chef

Postby Chef » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi,

Maylands is a great suburb to live in and a quick commute to the city on well maintained paths - lots of alternative routes if you want to stretch your legs, and only a couple of stops from the city on the train if you need to take a break.

Cheers

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:33 am

Yokine isn't the easiest suburb to ride to the city from, unless you don't mind riding along the busy Alexander Drive or Charles St. And the minor roads around there are a bit maze like.

I find if you're anywhere south of North St in Mt Lawley or even Walter Rd all the way to Maylands there is a multitude of choice for riding routes to the city. You can go North, Clifton, Beaufort, Coode Streets and of course the bike path on the train line.

Tuart Hill goes from Charles St to the freeway, so if you're near enough to the freeway then it's pretty easy.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:48 am

There are cycling maps on the transport website if that helps.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Yokine would be easy. Just head west to the bike path or go down Oxford Street instead of Charles.

sarahactivated

Postby sarahactivated » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses...it's helped me realize that I can be less anal-retentive about the 10-km-away-from-city thing.

A few of you have mentioned Charles Street so I think I'll try that route one day. I was always under the impression that it was a bit busy with cars/utes/trucks so I wouldn't mind a practise run.

I've added the Rivervale/Vic Park area to the mix because it's a pretty straight shot into the city over the freeway or causeway. My partner and I just rode past an available house in Rivervale and were thoroughly impressed with the development (new/renovated houses EVERYwhere) and the general cleanliness compared to the other suburbs we checked out (Yokine, Maylands, Nollamara). One of the suburbs we were a bit let down by was Maylands though...maybe it was the area we were looking in...but there were blocks of apartments which were obviously a bit dodgy.

Can't wait to see how the new home will impact my morning and evening commute!

Thanks heaps guys,
Sar
Sarah - Perth WA

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

I've recently moved from Joondalup area (32km each way) to Rivervale (10km if I go the long way!!). There are some very dodgy bits in the suburb but I'm finding when houses come up for sale they are either renovated or knocked down for townhouses which is changing the suburb completely.
So far I can't beat it for convenience to work and the bike path along the river isn't greatly travelled and has a fabulous view. Also, you get the aid of easterlies on the morning summer commute and the sea breeze to assist home ;) I'd definitely recommend looking here. It won't be long before the prices improve due to convenience to the city like the Vic park area. Carlisle and lathlain may also suit, but easier bike path access from rivervale.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:33 pm

sarahactivated wrote: A few of you have mentioned Charles Street so I think I'll try that route one day. I was always under the impression that it was a bit busy with cars/utes/trucks so I wouldn't mind a practise run.
it is, and will be during peak.

fixed

Postby fixed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Yokine? Easy.
Yokine reserve. Menora. Cross Fitzgerald at Walcott.
Norfolk Street Hyde Park
Palmerston St -CBD
Charles Street is ok but why do it when there is a more accessible option? (Norfolk)
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

sarahactivated

Postby sarahactivated » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:32 pm

moosterbounce wrote: Also, you get the aid of easterlies on the morning summer commute and the sea breeze to assist home ;) I'd definitely recommend looking here. It won't be long before the prices improve due to convenience to the city like the Vic park area. Carlisle and lathlain may also suit, but easier bike path access from rivervale.
You got me at "aid of easterlies". Droool!

We are looking at Carlisle only because Vic Park and Rivervale are proving to be out of our price range! Because of this my husband is getting fed up of me going to Google Maps and calculating the cycling distance now! I'm a little bit of a sook seeing that we might not be able to live in Rivervale.

You're lucky!
Sarah - Perth WA

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Nollamara in the corner near Wanneroo road and Morley drive is the only part of Nollamara I would consider.

Also between Wanneroo road and the freeway just North of Karinyup road. Balcatta and Stirling.

Also Gwelup.

All are close to the Freeway PSP and 10 to 15km from the city.

Really (as you know) it is a compromise of what you want, amount to spend and distance.

lannes

Postby lannes » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:03 am

Innaloo (around Odin Road) and Karrinyup has some good spots is close to the PSP, 12km into city

onrbikes

Postby onrbikes » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Before I moved to the bush used to Live in Morley where my ride was either to Balcatta , Osborne Park and eventually Belmont.
Between 12km-17km. I used to do it after night shift too.

What if down the track the place you work moves, and you've moved just to be closer to work.
It could end up being a huge expense and hassle in an ever changing world.

I know a guy who cycles to the city from Kingsley. Fit as, and use the cycleway next to the freeway.

wintal

Postby wintal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Commuting from Yokine/Tuart Hill/etc is fine - there are no useful bike paths, but you can get to the city without having to ride on any busy roads. I'm currently riding from Nollamara, you can see my route at http://www.strava.com/activities/107867277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - there's a lot of roads involved but it's not particularly complicated once you get used to it.

Some people do ride down flinders st/charles st. They're braver people than me, I used to ride along some stretches of it, but had too many cars shaving it too close, so I varied my route to avoid it.