Peugeot Appreciation Society

lunar_c

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby lunar_c » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:50 am

Me too.

Now guys.. What am I going to build it up with? I want to stick with period stuff but I really prefer sti or ergo shifters.

Suggestions welcomed.

I'm thinking about selling off my campagnolo group and going back to 600 tricolour or something period for this build..

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:14 pm

To give you an update,

I decided on tricolor but after sifting through the original catalogues I figured I'd build it with the correct spec - 6400 series with 7 speed DT shifters.

So far I have brake levers, front and rear derailleurs and a headset but I'm on the hunt for the rest. I will go with a turbo saddle and white bar tape too.. That looks like a 600 stem and seatpost so I guess I'll try and find some for reasonable money.

I've got the correct rear hub also but I'm trying to figure out what wheels to lace them too.. And what those bars might be, cinelli?

akq

Postby akq » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 am

For anyone that likes shopping and bending bikes in hal,recent tip find

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:21 am

Nice! With front and rear lights *both* intact. My kids and I have recently finished getting a 1978 Gitane Concorde folding bike back on the road and it is huge fun to ride.

akq

Postby akq » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am

Have some ridiculous finds at my tip,often come out with more than i went in,this is another,not a Peugot but a Speedwell,just to disclose i am a seller

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 6#p1069396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 am

And it has the all important 24.0mm seatpost :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

akq

Postby akq » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I like the fact that it has the original bungee straps,was a pain to fish out of the steel pile especially when the straps got caught up and almost cut them off and left behind,wasnt till i got it home that i realised that they werent just any old bungee straps but were part of the original rack,the straps are wrecked but the end clips are still intact.Getting some great stuff at the tip recently,1960s barbers chair,old trestle tables.Saw a couple of bikes recently that looked pretty special but they were too far up the pile.Still amazed that people throw this sort of stuff away

koen

Postby koen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:46 pm

They used to give the fold ups away when you bought Pug (car) in the 70's. I'm sure many were never used.

akq

Postby akq » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Buy my bike on ebay and I will give you a car !!!!!! Lol

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Hoping someone can help me identify this Peugeot i saved from the tip yesterday. Year, model any info would be appreciated.
AVA stem, Mafec 'racer' brakes, Simplex rear derailleur, Sun tour f/derailleur, Normandy hubs, 27" rims unknown, no tubing id and no serial number under bottom bracket unless they stamp them elsewhere. Never dealt with Peugeot's before. Is it gaspipe, or worth restoring? 57cm toptube.
If anyone's interested in it, let me know because i am trying to clear out my bikes, not add more, just thought it was too nice to get scrapped.

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Well, after a bit of Goggling (should have done it earlier) its seems i have picked up a 1973 Peugeot UO-8.
Appears that there was also about 1 billion of them made so not worth bugger all.
Still its a nice looking bike and my size....

koen

Postby koen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:42 pm

I haven't ridden mine for years but I always remember it was nice feeling bike to ride. I actually put singles on one in 1977 when I started racing and more recently rode another with good 700c wheels for a while with a group just to take the pi** a bit out of the expensive carbon bikes in the group. Yours was worth rescuing

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Agreed. Strangley for a frame made from gas pipe the old UO8's are a rather pleasant bike to ride. I think it's the slightly smaller diameter metric tubing (other than the top tube which is actually a little bigger the British tubing). The low trail front end geometry and the longer fork blades and stays.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks koen! You've solved the mystery of why there are so many Peugeot folders kicking about.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:01 am

Good save. I love those old peugeot lugs and mafac racers have to be one of the prettiest brakes ever :)

Can't wait til my galibier gets here!

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 pm

I've been given this lovely Ventoux.
It needs a bit of medical attention but hopefully will be fighting fit and ready for riding (by brother in law) at Beechworth L'Eroica at end of March.

Don't worry. It's got real bars and stem now. I'm gonna keep those monsters for something special.

Apparently it got driven into the garage on the roof of the car.
Anyone got a fork with 204 mm steerer tube? I'm guessing it would be French threaded?

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 am

I've got a ventoux .. Standard English threads.

Let me check in the shed.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am

Ps I really want you to save that ventoux.. I love mine, I found it on the side of the road in great nick but with a broken chainstay cable stop. It even had nice wheels!

It's such a great riding bike even though only the main tubes are Reynolds 501. I recently had it built as a single speed but I've had a modern 10spd campy group on it too and it was stable and responsive to sprinting/climbing despite the bit of extra frame weight.

I've now built mine up with a salvaged 8spd sora groupset from a few different roadside pickups and it's still a form favourote.

I think I may have a steerer in the shed for you I'll PM you .. Maybe gripsport can fix that fork? It'll be worth the effort.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks lunar c. I checked the fork threads and it's English as you say. Should make replacement a bit easier
Thanks for the gripsport tip off too. I'll check out the repairability options. I really like the look of the fork so would be nice to keep it or replace with similar.
The frame looks ok structurally otherwise.
The rear rim is toast though. Split in lots of places.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:56 am

Morning all

Anyone familiar with an alloy Pug mountain bike marked Excess? Google has been no help, nor has cyclespeugeot or retropeugeot. The readr derailleur is marked Shimano A 8SIS and I can't find that anywhere either. Nothing in disraelligears or fleabay. I'm at a loss as to how old it is or where it sits in the Pug quality spectrum, and so what it'ss actually worth. This is the beastie. I'm looking at it as a transition bike for my younger son who's outgrown his 24" kids bike but isn't quite tall enough for the small-framed Tourmalet that's waiting for him - he's almost tall enough but finds the road bike handling a little unnerving.

Cheers,
Duncan

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Looks like a nice bike, pretty recent (~ late 90's to present) standard low to midpriced mountainbike. The components could give you a date. If its that bike on ebay and I wanted and had a use for it I'd pay maybe up to $100 for it. It could be worth more and especially if its going to get ridden alot??

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:54 pm

That's the bunny. It'll get well used and it looks to be in reasonable nick and with new tyres, so I'm feeling a bidding spree coming on... :-)

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 pm

I picked up a Giant from the roadside and I think it had that rear mech. It had components that were like a late 90's cheapened version of early 90's Deore. I just put the cranks on a mountainbike I was fixing. Alloy cranks but chainrings steel with all three bolting on as a unit. Can't see from the pic if the pug is the same.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:09 pm

While we're on the subject - when did Peugeot stop selling bikes in Australia? And did they sell through a distributor or via the same channel as their cars?

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks koen - I was curious about the rear mech. It sort of looks Deore-ish, but obviously isn't. I don't know my mountain bikes at all so I'm struggling a bit